Thoughts

rickster

You wrote: "Just another shot from a ride earlier this spring."

A beautiful shot. I hope the visitors to your home enjoy seeing the print of this on your wall! (Hint: This is made for a metallic print!)

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Steven, Just so you know. I have the post #94 photo printed out and many people seeing the print have said nice things about it. I plan on printing out the page 160 1st photo too. It is not only nice of you to post the photos but your talent for photos shows every well. Thank you for sharing.

burdicda

I have been working with photography on and off for 45yrs...I actually ran the USAF photo lab at Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls Texas for a while..I went digital about 3yrs ago and won every contest I entered...I've done weddings for money...but after all that I guess I am not a "professional" because I don't make a living at it. In my most humble opinion...you are going a great job especially the one river trees....Keep it up and btw it doesn't really matter but what type of camera/lens do you use...that brings to mind a joke...
Ansel Adams and Ernest Hemingway met in a bar and Ernest say's "Wow you take pretty good pictures what kind of camera do you use? to which Ansel replied back "You write pretty good novels...what kind of typewriter do you use?

Steven

Thanks guys! It's a slow process to learn this stuff, but it's fun. Here in the Midwest, there isn't much to shoot, but with a little imagination, it can be done. That's what I'm really learning... how to see what's possible, not so much what's there. If that makes any sense.

I used mostly the kit lens that came with the camera. It's a 16-50 zoom 3.5 - 5.6 f-stop. I also have a 55 - 200mm (also kit) and a 12mm f 2.0 all manual. Today I picked up a vintage Canon 50mm 1.4 lens to get a little bokeh in my shots.

Ansel Adams was absolutely right. The camera and lenses can make a difference, but ultimately, it's the person behind the camera/typewriter. When I look at other shots where the person has done a fantastic job, it makes me realize how little I know and how far I have yet to go before I can be satisfied with my shots.

Anyway, I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Steven

Here's a small sample of the Midwest this time of year...

Field 3 small.jpg

Sun filed smaller.jpg

Here's the bike same day, same place... Looking GOOD!!!!

Bike on road small.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

I might as well throw this one at you folks so you can see what it looks like where I live. This is the Kankakee river about 10 miles north of Kankakee.

Boat small.jpg

rickster

Beautiful photos... Looks to me as though there's plenty to shoot around your home. You have a natural eye for subject placement.

Steven

Thanks rickster. :)

Today's ride...

Ran into a couple from Australia touring the U.S.. Here is where I was: Sorry I didn't get a picture of them, but he was riding a BMW 1200. We had a lot in common... He had Michelin PR4 tires on his bike and a Russel Day Long seat. Isn't that odd? :rolleyes:

DSC04329.jpg

DSC04332.jpg

Then I stopped a took a couple of pictures of the bike...

DSC04354.jpg

DSC04355.jpg

Steven

Afterwards I stopped at the State Park and met a fellow from Switzerland who had traveled through South America and was now traveling through North America. Check out his truck... BTW, he said he doesn't understand why people go to Europe to see the sites.. America has some of the best views in the world. Just fyi.

swiss 3 small.jpg

swiss 2 small.jpg

He does have a website: http://www.timbila.ch/

Last edited:

Steven

Just got a new lens... actually is an old (vintage) lens from another camera... Here's an example of what it can do.

Sandy Flower small.jpg