Lower Leg and Foot Protection

Daboo

I'm very interested in the CTX700. It fills many of the needs I have on my wish list for a next bike...except one. But perhaps there's a way to take care of that too.

I currently commute year around on a Suzuki Burgman 400. I've put over 75,000 miles in the past few years riding up and down I-5 in Seattle. One of the advantages of the Burgman 400, is the full fairing that extends down to the floorboards. It has excellent weather protection. My boots have become wet in the past, but only when they were getting in sad shape and needing replacing.

So the CTX700 has a "full fairing"...but the feet seem exposed. Is there any protection to keep them out of the direct blast of rain and road spray? Or will this be an issue for me? Or is there some kind of accessory like the wind deflectors on the NC700X that can be added?

Thanks,
Chris

dilare

Why don't you get a newer version! I heard that a newer version might come out soon! Do a little more reasearch brother!

Daboo

"newer version" of what? The CTX700?

I probably mentioned it elsewhere here, but I did my research and ended up buying a new 2011 Honda NT700V. ABS. Full fairing. Lots of built-in storage. Decent gas mileage (50-65 mpg so far, with 65 on a trip and 50 in town in stop and go riding). Shaft drive...no chain to mess with. Good windshield that doesn't need to be replaced, yet gives excellent wind management with no turbulence. Gosh, it even has a built-in centerstand!

And I paid $7695 out the door. :) :) :)

Chris

Daboo

That's okay, dilare. Each of us rides in different conditions, and for different reasons. Those who live in Arizona would probably wonder why I'd worry about riding in rain and near freezing temps. :rolleyes: It's a stretch of my imagination to think of what it is like to ride in 110F temperatures. :D

The Honda NT700V isn't perfect. Neither is it bad. It's a jack of all trades, master of none ride...and probably one of the last bikes to include the mods or add-ons that many of us would want to make a bike usable for more than weekend entertainment. There's nothing wrong with having a bike for that, but some of us want what the UJM used to be...a way to commute Monday through Friday, and something to take us out on the weekend for a fun ride.

At $11,200, I think it was overpriced. At $7600, it was an excellent deal for me. The extra amount ($95) was simply for the paperwork from the dealership. I looked at his figures and the dealership took a loss on this bike...but it was costing them money to leave it on the floor. (There's still one just like it! :) ) I love the bike as is. I'm also hoping it becomes a collector's bike like the PC800 is. But even if it doesn't, I'm enjoying it a lot. :)

If this bike hadn't landed in my lap, I'd be back looking at the CTX700...and probably would've bought one by now. I think the CTX is a great bike. After reading the reviews, I'm not sure which would be better in the end. I suspect the NT still, just because the rider is closer to the windscreen and the wind management is so nice on it. But each of us have different priorities for what we're looking for in a bike.

Chris

gregsfc

What the future CTX700 owners need is an accessory item(s) that will help protect the feet and lower legs for wet and cold weather riding. I'm still pretty much a newbie and this element of protection is already addressed with the bigger scooters, so I don't know if these type of accessories are normally available as after-market items or not. Even though I know this aspect of the CTX700 will be inferior to my current scooter, I'll still be getting a CTX and hoping that my current winter suit will do the job of keeping me dry and warm. If not, I'll have to try an apron or something to help out when the weather gets worse.

willstat

What the future CTX700 owners need is an accessory item(s) that will help protect the feet and lower legs for wet and cold weather riding. I'm still pretty much a newbie and this element of protection is already addressed with the bigger scooters, so I don't know if these type of accessories are normally available as after-market items or not. Even though I know this aspect of the CTX700 will be inferior to my current scooter, I'll still be getting a CTX and hoping that my current winter suit will do the job of keeping me dry and warm. If not, I'll have to try an apron or something to help out when the weather gets worse.

Yes, that is an excellent post. I live in a climate that is cold for at least six months out of the year, well mild to cold for 6 months and I would appreciate an accessory that protects my feet/ankles/lower legs. Right now I will double up on the socks and wear boots if it is cold or rainy out. That doesn't do a good enough job though. Tell us, what kind of accessory are you envisioning specifically - how would it look, now big would it be and what would it be made out of?

luke7

Daboo,
I just traded a 2010 NT700V for my CTX700. The NT has better wind protection, but for me was too heavy, especially top heavy, I had a trunk.
Enjoy it, I thought it was a beautiful bike, just a little too much for me.
I wear boot covers on cold days.
Paul