Leaving Florida for San Diego by way of Upper Michigan

Thumper

We are riding up to Michigan in a couple of weeks for my wifes family reunion. Then on to San Diego for some time with my Daughter and her family. Probably be gone for a a while. I have to be back to work in Tampa by August. My wifes CTX now has 50k miles on it and I just did an overall maintenance. All looks great! I thought about changing the wheel bearings (just because) but they felt perfect when I checked them, so leaving that for after the trip.

I'm taking along my Surface Pro so will try to post a few choice pics up to make you guys a little envious, and I fully expect paybacks when you post up your travel pics. :cool:

Happy Trails ya'll,

Merlin III

50 thou miles is very impressive in my book and adds to my confidence about the bike. What overhaul maintenance did you do? What is your bike? I am just a little jealous. :)
Are you going through Canada. It is well worth it just to avoid the Chicago metro area. If so, bring some warm cloths. When I did my Lake Superior trip I ended up using my heated vest a few times.

Thumper

Brake fluid, tires, check pads, check coolant, wheel bearing check. I decided to hold off on valve adjustment until after trip since I did it at 38k.
I'm on a 2016 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000 (my second Vstrom). Great for long distance and carrying capacity.
We are coming back down through Michigan and across through Colorado. I wanted to do Loveland Pass. Then on down through Mohab and over to San Diego. Heat will be a factor but we have done the desert before during summer and know what to expect. Plans change with the major weather patterns but right now, that's the plan.
I'm a Florida boy and my last trip to Michigan in July, I was the only person in the state with warm weather gear on. It got really cold! We have lot's of good gear so pretty much always prepared for what hit us.

ofdave

I really envy you for the trip.
And, hey, Michigan is only a little out of the way to San Diego-right?
don't expect a welcome home if you don't post vids!

randy1149

My hats off Thumper and too the wife also. My wife thinks ruffing it on a trip is staying in a condo without a dish washer, never mind a trip like yours on a motorcycle. Have fun, be safe a make lots of pix for us.

Thumper

@ofdave LOL! Probably take me longer to edit the videos than it does to take the trip! This may be our last long trip for a while since my wife is starting a new career move when we return. She won't have all the vacation time saved up like she does now. I have one more year (or one bad day) to my second retirement! Medicare, here I come!

@Randy1149 Thanks! She is a keeper!

Thumper

I can't wait for the pics. I hope you're safe and the weather is good.

Route plans are kept pretty loose just in case weather turns south on us. We don't mind rain or wind but I just don't ride when they are combined!

We did an Saddlesore 1000 from Tampa to Missouri in 2005, and my wife was on the back with me that trip. Then we rode up to Montana and over to California. I built a car topper trailer for the trip thinking we would need the extra room. We really didn't! It handled great but I hated having to deal with finding parking places each time I pulled off somewhere. I sold it for more than I had in it when I returned.

Here is a 2 part Youtube link from that trip: https://youtu.be/QTgHVdsEee8?list=PLy382Flkg7tKtF_y-EriiPPewAC5pKyGW
https://youtu.be/04d9bBYquGo?list=PLy382Flkg7tK7_buy79Q30s1wM-y9zVcJ

Dennis the Troll is still with us today! We kidnapped him from our neighbors yard and returned him after we got back. They split up eventually and they gave him back to us to keep.

Last edited:

Merlin III

My favorite riding song. That video is very professional and artsy. I can't wait to see the next video and report on the V-Strom and the CtX

Thumper

Thanks and it's on the packing list! Also, we ride with Camelbak bags in our tank bags for hydration! Very important!!!