is the ctx700 really worth 7gs?

jonnypop

670cc twin-cylinder engine makes this sound like batman's motorbike when they advertise it. Credit given where credit is due but I think there is much too hype around this particular model and there are much beastier bikes out there!

Great for a first bike but for the price tag?

Trellum

There are far more expensive bikes out there that have similar stats to this model, so in my opinion it's worth the price, but I might wait a little and buy an used one. This could be my first bike, so getting an used one would be a smart choice (in my opinion), that way I'll not cry that much if I drop it!

jonnypop

Good call, there are much more over priced bikes out there.

I would be more than happy with one of these as my first bike. (going back a few years now lol)

Ride for life.

Trellum

Yeah, I think for a starter is quite nice :) Plus the reviews I've read are all excellent ;) Thinking of a bolt too, that was the first bike I've ever ridden, but last week I test rode ctx700 ;) It was awesome!! I felt so confident, even around the curves! Btw, do you still have your first bike? What bike is it/was it?

andrew172

It is an excellent choice for a first bike especially considering that it has an optional dual clutch transmission if you're not used to using the manual motorcycle transmission. And previous posters are right that there are many other similar bikes out there that are much more expensive. However $7000 is still pretty expensive and that's only the naked model. The equipped model is $7,800 and for an extra $1000 both models can be equipped with ABS. As a total maximum you're looking at $8,800 which is a lot of money. I agree with the poster who mentioned that you could wait and get it second hand. Replacement parts will also be cheaper in the future if and when you need them.

Oivas

Hey Jonny,

The argument can be taken both ways. I mean there are equally performing and costlier bikes out there too, so my take would be to compare performance and other aspects and then make a decision rather than going by the paper stats.

andrew172

Hey Jonny,

The argument can be taken both ways. I mean there are equally performing and costlier bikes out there too, so my take would be to compare performance and other aspects and then make a decision rather than going by the paper stats.

I think this is why test drives can be so important. I mean a bike can be a bunch of things on paper but how it feels when you're riding it is what it comes down to.

vulcan

There are cheaper new bikes out there but.....they are 250s.
A lot more expensive bikes too. Depends what you are looking for.
Look at a BMW scooter.....lot more expensive.
Bikes for most people are toys, for enjoyment. Some use them for transportation because they are cheap, cost wise and gas wise.
There is no simple answer to your question.

Trellum

I agree with Vulcan: there is no simple answer to the OP's question. I think this is a great bike for starters and even veterans, the price is quite reasonable as well. A really cool bike if you are into cruisers.

novasparker

at the end of the day, I think it all depends on what you are looking for. Yes, there are bikes out there that are faster, or more comfortable, or even just a meatier bike to ride. But they are all more expensive. $7000 isn't a lot for a brand new motorcycle that is over 500cc in engine size. I think that its a mid market bike that has a mid market price...It's about right. There are other options out there for folks looking for different options.

Stallion

It is no doubt an excellent bike especially if you are an experienced biker. But it also depends on what your budget is and what you expect from a bike. Take a ride on the CTX700 and see whether you like it first.

novasparker

it's all about balancing your budget with the features and functions you want. I don't have the hands on experience with this bike to be able to compare it to others in its same category, but I believe that you should make sure that you are paying for the performance you want and ignore the stuff you don't. If you want a bike with great pick up and a smooth ride then this bike will be worth $7 grand to you. If not, then I would suggest spending your cash elsewhere.

bala

It really is a worthy bike befitting its price tag.At 7 grands,you are getting an engine with more than 600 CC at your disposal,add to it the other prominent features,you have got all your requisites in a nutshell.Sadly,this isn't available here,had it been so i would have bought it long back.The Price is apt for this bike.I would say,GO FOR IT.!!!.

firelily99

For a beginning biker I thing its a good price and good place to start. Too many people buy bikes that they aren't experienced enough to handle safely.

JLC2014

This bike is built around dependability and gas mileage. I have averaged 85+ mpg over 9 tanks,and have had a low of 71.5 and a high of 124.6 mpg. The bike is comfortable , should be for passenger also , look at that wide soft seat. Low center of gravity makes easy slow moving, U-turns, and curves a piece of cake. It's a Honda ! It will last longer than you. You meet the nicest people on a Honda ! - JLC

Athena

Honda went to a lot of trouble (finally listened) and delivered an automatic or paddle shifter that has a seat height that can be flat footed by a woman.My other bike is a Harley VRSCD Nightrod 1100cc, 120hp with a top speed of 160+ (clocked at 182mph). Seat height is 26". This 700cc is great for the road and in town, Hate taking the harley into a parking lot as it weighs 700lb and is difficult to push back (actually impossible for me.) the CTX Could have been lighter; 500lb is not a light machine but it's weight and stability at highway speeds is great. So it's all in what you want. The enjoyment is in the riding, not in power.

Honda is releasing the NM4 in June, a 700cc fully automatic, larger version of the CTX700d. Price is 10K +, bike is larger and 65 pounds heavier, but comes with a couple of small storage bins up front by the bat wing, and some rather very small storage cases in the rear. They are also putting on a 200mm Tire, (Why I don't know, but I suspect for stability), has an adjustable back rest and several other options that are standard. In Europe it is a 750cc Vultus. The seat height is 25.6. If the bike renders enough interest, I suspect the 2016 version will have a more traditional rear tire, larger storage cases, as well as moving the brake and foot rests more rearward. Easy enough to do. Again it's all in what you want.