How old were you when you started riding a bike?

Trellum

Indeed, I loved that feeling of first riding a bike and everything changing when I did! I wish I could relive that experience.

Yeah, the first time of everything is really good. I often think I'm always hoping to experience the same feeling I had the first time I did something exciting, like the first time I traveled abroad or the first time I signed a contract and got a job. Amazing feelings! The first times are always the best! I hope we have a lot ''first times'' of everything to enjoy left :)

margarito

Wow, really?? Your parents let you ride a bike when you were 7 years old?! That sounds kinda crazy! It's a miracle you didn't harm yourself, I don't think I'll ever allow my kid to do that :O But it's great you didn't harm yourself, are you still riding a bike or you quit?

Yeah! That surely sounds crazy :D I accept with you that children of that age shouldn't be allowed to do so. But the only advantageous reason behind this is my height :D I used to manage my father's bike very easily and that's the reason my parent's are not afraid of sending me along with the bike :D

skully93

Disturbingly, I never rode P2W vehicles until I was 35! Logged nearly 30k miles in 2 years on small displacement scoots!

andrew172

It's funny.. while I was moderately young when I first rode a bike, I wouldn't let my children ride on till they were at least 35 :p

firelily99

I was a bit older than most, I really didn't get into them until I was in my forties. A man I was dating had a Harley and we used to spent many weekends traveling around on it. Eventually I will get a Harley but I am fine with what I have. I no longer date that man but I did learn a lot about bikes with him.

Scottie

I was about fifteen when I first got on a bike. My neighbor had a Honda CBR 600 R which I feel in love with. One day he called me and asked me if I wanted to ride it and of course I said yes! He me a few lessons because that was what he did, he gave riding lessons. Riding around on that bike made me feel like a king, the amount of girls I got was amazing lol :cool:

wallacem

I got my first bike, a Sears Moped, at 13. That was in 1957. At age 71, still riding daily, lovin it daily. Taught my two daughters to ride dirt bikes when they were 6 each, as soon as they learned to ride a bicycle. One of them loves to ride today at age 35 with her husband. Wallacem in Ga

Last edited:

ofdave

got my first two-wheeler at 13 yrs. eleven months. Needed to be 14 in FL at that time to ride and you were limited to 5hp or less.
Saved up (and got a 10 buck loan from my Dad) to buy a 1949 Cushman (the one shaped like a box) for $75.00.
I rode home on the back and found out years later that my Dad had never ridden on two wheels (except a bike) before that day.
Spent a month washing and waxing it, waiting to turn 14.
Finally got to go solo! that was 56 years ago.
It gave me Freedom! Riding still does

Woodswoman

I was 39.

And I blame it not on a mid-life crisis, but on Italy.

One year Hubby and I went on vacation to Slovenia and Italy. While in Italy, I couldn't fail to notice that scooters were *everywhere*. I was impressed by how nimble and capable they were, and how useful as people went grocery shopping, to and from work and school, etc. "Wow," I told Mike, "doesn't that look like fun?"

The idea really fired my imagination. Even after we got home, I talked now and then about how cool those scooters looked.

Then one day, the summer following that trip, I came home from work and Mike said to me, "Honey, I've done something big without consulting you. Either you're going to love me for it, or you're going to be mad as hell at me."

Then he led me out to the garage, where one of these was waiting for me.

It was a third-hand 1996 Honda Elite 80, which he had seen in the window of a motorcycle shop near his office.

And that, as the saying goes, is where all the trouble started. :)

Last edited:

Steven

I was 17 maybe 18, in the Army and found a bike rental place in Augusta Georgia. It was a small bike but as my first ride, it was fun as the dickens. BTW, people always seem to talk about how important it is learn how to shift (usually when referencing the DCT as a first bike) pish posh, it's the easiest thing in the world to learn. I did start driving a car at 14, illegally of course, but that's another story.

casper

I was 13 and got my minibike. A Rupp knockoff for 80 bucks out the door, with 3.5 hp!!! Gosh we had fun on that as two other friends had them too. That fun lasted for the summer when the neighbors complained about the noise and the constable took my bike as it was on public property. A month later he brought it back while advising me that he'd fine me if he caught me riding it again. Sold it to a kid on a farm in KY so he at least got a good deal of fun on it.

Rode until about I was about 18 but wasn't a good rider. Dumped them twice and figured my third one would kill me so didn't ride again until I was 45. That next bike brought back all the feelings of that 13 year old and now you can't get me off the things!

popeyoni

I started riding at the tender age of 47.
I have a very short commute so I thought a scooter would be better than a car.
I wasn't expecting to like it so much.
After 8 months I upgraded to a CTX700 ND.

casper

Did you ever think at 45 you'd be doing this at 47 Popeye? ?? That's the part that absolutely cracks me up. The way things change. I am a psychotherapist. A few years before I'd have been a full psychologist, grandfathered in. But time passed me by two years and with the same creds the board doesn't allow it. Ah well. In any event. With suicidal patients this is EXACTLY what I point out. They're so depressed that they cannot conceive of a a different experience. But the examples are all over the place. I point these out. Haven't lost one yet. I will someday, and it will break my heart to know I couldn't get the right words for that one.

Steven

Okay I can't stop myself from saying this... Doctor, it hurts when I do this, what should I do? (Your answer please...)

Different subject...

Anyway, my girlfriend always goes through states of depression and while in that state she can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. She eventually comes out of it and at that point she realizes that she always gets better. She has done this many times and while in the depressed state I always remind her that it will end, but she says it won't. It's rather odd to me that when in the depressed state she can't seem to remember that she always get's better. She's on a great deal of medication which I suspect is part of her problem.

In a similar situation, I have a friend that suffers from Schizophrenia (or used to) and he's told me that while he is in a schizophrenic state he is not aware of it and accepts that as real and normal. Once he returns to normal, he remembers everything and it is at that point he realizes that he has suffered an episode.

The mind is a strange thing.

On a slightly funnier note...Another friend (a long time ago) lost it and ended up in a psychiatrists office, he was rather a smart man. While sitting there listening he finally heard enough and asked the doctor what he was trying to accomplish, to which the doctor replied, "I'm trying to help you become normal". My friend replied to that, "Describe normal to me". ... He couldn't do it so that ended the conversation. I'm sure you can see why.

I didn't write this for advice, I just thought you might find it interesting, but you probably already know this stuff.

popeyoni

Did you ever think at 45 you'd be doing this at 47 Popeye?

Not at all. In 47 years I'd never had any interest in motorcycles.
The scooter was 100% a practical decision. I needed a way to get to work, and didn't want the expense of another car.
Suddenly, I'm loving every minute of the ride. I find myself taking the long way home and making any excuse to ride that scooter.