'14 CTX700 aftermarket oil type, oil filter, etc

Duffy

I' trying to find what are being used. '14 CTX700 aftermarket oil type, oil filter type and number, oil filter wtench type and size if ratchet type. Also clutch filter if available.

I have to do the 25 mile check up. So I want to be prepared with good dinosaur oil and filters plus the filter tool and anything else.

Does anyone know the correct Honda clutch oil filter number. I suppose this is not available in aftermarket.

Do I have to use specifically 'motorcycle' 4cycle oil?

Is the best idea just to buy Honda oil and filters? I'm still going to need the filter tool. They want to make the money on service here and have you leave your bike for a few days. I have always done my own oil changes, but I don't know what to use on this bike.

Thanks for any part numbers, brands, types and weights.

randy1149

Oil and filter "recommendations" on internet forums are the number one reason for heated arguments, so I won't recommend any brands, that's up to you.

You don't have to use motorcycle oils. Just any 10W-30/40 Dino or Synthetic that is NOT "energy conserving", those oils will cause clutch slippage. Any non energy conserving oil that meets or exceeds either the JASO or API rating in the owners manual. The owners manual calls for 10W-30 while the dealers mostly use 10W-40 that's what I use. The choice of brand and dino or synthetic are yours.

The CTX700 oil filter is one of Honda's common one and made by many other manufacturers. Here's a x-ref. list LINK, scroll down to Table 5 for after market filters, 2.5 or 3.5 inch filter will fit. The 3.5 will last longer than the 2.5 The transmission filter is made after market and can be bought on ebay HERE IT's the HF117 filter.

If your first oil filter has already been changed any filter wrench will work, because a lot of people had trouble getting the first one off because it was too tight. Here's what I recommend, let the dealer to the first oil change or punch a screw driver thru the filter to take it off and then use most any filter wrench.

Have fun.

MJC

Super Moderator
Hi,
I use the K and N oil filter only because it has the nut on the end of it and makes it EZ for me to take off. I change it at every oil change.
Oil Filter:
Honda oil filter item: 15412-MGS-D21 from hondapartshouse.com is $6.97
K and N # 204 with nut is $14 at auto stores.

The DCT filter, I have used the Honda filter, next time I may just use the HiFlo if my local Honda dealer has to order it. I change it at every oil change too.
Honda DCT filter item: 15410-MFJ-D01 from hondapartshouse.com is $8.91
Hiflo HF117 on ebay or in auto stores.

Oil? Owners Manual says 10W-30 motorcycle oil. You can get it at any dealership. Brands and choices of reg motorcycle oil or synthetic and I even seen a mix of reg and synthetic. I use 10w-40 Mobil One motorcycle full synthetic oil. You can find it on sale at auto stores for $8-$9, reg price is about $11. Any motorcycle oil will work, 10W- 30 or 10W-40. I only use Mobil One because it is the only oil that I have found that can stay in the bike (up to a year) after being used that will not brake down or get dirty. Years ago I had a car that I would use then it would sit (for weeks/months) and my shop said that I should change the oil because the car was not being used and sum how the oil would brake down or something like that and that was a bad thing. When I found out about Mobil One and how it could sit in a car that was not being used and not brake down I started using it. Now this may just be BS but for over 25 years I have used Mobil One in all my cars, vans and pick ups and have never had any engine problems we are talking not only time but 1000's of miles (in total over a million).

I change my bike oil, and filter once a year in late spring. After that time is when I do most of my riding and I want the cleanest, newest, oil at that time. So to be clear, late spring I change the oil, ride around, in late Nov park it, may go for a ride over the winter if a nice day comes, in late March take it out and ride til late spring. Now if I do more then 10K miles I change it at that time or if I plan on touring for a long trip and the oil has more then 8K on it I change it before I start out. This had worked for me for over 250,000 miles (on more then one bike).

Most important thing when it comes to oil is, check the oil level often, check for any leaks, do not over fill, and change it when (if not before) the manufacturer says too. And when you put the oil filter on, it does not have to be soo tight, it just does not have to leak!

ofdave

I use a Bosch filter and 10W-40 oil. Many in warm climates use 10W-40-you will not hurt a thing.
You do not need motorcycle specific oil. As was said above, do not use oil that is "energy conserving".
On the back of the can of oil is a circle showing the API number. Be sure there is nothing written in the bottom half of the circle.
I am currently running Motul synthetic after having use Shell Rotella T-6 synthetic for 12000 miles (and in 3 or 4 other bikes for years). Only switched to give the Motul a try and because I got a deal on it.
Be sure the oil meets JASO MA standards if you can or the API designation SN if it doesn't show the JASO rating.
Randy found a good source for the tranny filter. I get my Bosch filters at Walmart.
Oil is relatively cheap and changes should be by the book or sooner as MJC mentioned.

Duffy

Where is the 'clutch oil filter' located?????

I can't find it?

Is it hidden under the fairing?

I bought a Fram oil filter and I plan on doing the 25 mile oil change myself. I'll try to get the clutch 'oil filter' from the dealer.

By the way, my mechanic, that is an older dude like some of us, builds big time drag bikes and has a bike shop. He drags his bikes at Beaver Springs Dragstrip. Curiously, he has 'never' heard of a 'clutch oil filter', but he recommends doing what the manual says to do so I'm going to replace it if I can find where it is. I hate taking off fairings. I might just leave the piece off.

Also, it looks like there is very little coolant in my coolant reservoir tank???? Can that be a good thing. Maybe one inch in the bottom. I'm not sure I'm going to look later with a flashlight. The tank is pretty well under the fairing but the filler cap I can get to. I guess I will have to get some coolant from the dealer. They should have had that right at the beginning.

Anyway. Where is the clutch oil filter located on the CTX700 with the fairing 2014?

Thanks in advance.

MJC

Super Moderator
What is the "25 mile oil change"? Should be done I think at 600 miles then 8000 and every 8K after that.

Coolant, brake fluid, every 2 years or so. You can add coolant by using the Honda brand coolant, but changing is better, Check for leaks before anything, when hot coolant should be at high level, cold (not run for 24 hrs) at low level.

ofdave

@Duffy
The links about oil filters don't speak highly of Fram oil filters, you may consider returning it and getting a Purolator or Bosch.
There is no "clutch oil filter" - it is the transmission oil filter.

you really need the shop manual for your bike
it's available hard copy on Ebay and PDF somewhere.
Hard copy is best, in my opinion. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-2015-H...ash=item4651e29238:g:FNcAAOSwstxVWO2p&vxp=mtr
It will take you through every process you will need to do and show you some stuff you'll never even need to do. It also shows the nomenclature for the various parts.
I urge you to make the purchase today.

Last edited:

Duffy

What is the "25 mile oil change"? Should be done I think at 600 miles then 8000 and every 8K after that.

Coolant, brake fluid, every 2 years or so. You can add coolant by using the Honda brand coolant, but changing is better, Check for leaks before anything, when hot coolant should be at high level, cold (not run for 24 hrs) at low level.

Yeah. 25 mile oil change. There is no transmission clutch fitter, its a manual, not a DCT.

MJC

Super Moderator
Yeah. 25 mile oil change. There is no transmission clutch fitter, its a manual, not a DCT.

Guess I should say "whatever I said, wrote or may have thought I was saying, should not be used in anyway, has I do not know anything about the CTX700 with manual 6 speed trans". and do not know what the 25 mile oil change is so I can not tell anyone what to use for it or how to do it or why do it.

I just do not want to give out miss-info. And I am one to say "I do not know everything or pretend too".

Just my 2 cents, sorry, guess I should get more background info on what is being talked about before posting.

Duffy

Guess I should say "whatever I said, wrote or may have thought I was saying, should not be used in anyway, has I do not know anything about the CTX700 with manual 6 speed trans". and do not know what the 25 mile oil change is so I can not tell anyone what to use for it or how to do it or why do it.

I just do not want to give out miss-info. And I am one to say "I do not know everything or pretend too".

Just my 2 cents, sorry, guess I should get more background info on what is being talked about before posting.

MJC. I was wrong on that. I þook the bike to the dealer this morning to have the coolant reservoir tank filled to the proper level and they told me that the first oil change is at 600 miles. I read some theory or personal opinion on a forum that speaks of the 25 mile oil change. The dealer said that is not necessary because the engine was run, etc. at the factory.

The service manager also put on my new high windshield, so everything went great. And no charge either.

It is easy to get conflicting information, especially from personal opinions. Even my mechanic was highly surprised when I told him I was supposed to do a 25 mile oil change. So I was totally wrong on that as far as standard procedure goes.

Everything is good now. And I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Duffy

I thought the 25 mile oil change was a misprint, I didn't know. Sorry I didn't catch it.

It's all good Steven. Dealer added a little coolant and put on my high windshield. Service manager did the work. Good guy. I dig the high windshield. Cold here today. Had this done today.

Steven

Mine came with the high shield which was much better than the stock shorty. I switched to the Cee Baily later on which is even better. Last year I rode for a while without a shield and it was fun, but it was a humid summer and the bugs were out in force. It was so bad that in the evening I could only go about one mile out in the country before my helmet face shield was so covered I could barely see through it. I was so happy to put my windshield back on.

ofdave

not only the bugs on the face shield and/or windshield - you deal with dead bugs firmly planted in the shoulders of your jacket.
And if you wear mesh as I do, they get deep into the mash.
Not wanting to jinx the riding but we here in FL seem to have avoided the dreaded love bugs this spring. There were times a year or so ago when riding was limited to early morning (or not done) during love bug season. A 20 mile ride would get your windshield 90% opaque with bug guts and skeletons. This year not so much.