SOLVED: 2014 CTX700D POWER SURGES > 9,000 ft. ALTITUDE

M0T0Geezer

My 2014 CTX700D (32,000 miles) is garaged in Phoenix area ( < 1,000 feet) - but for the summer I am riding in Colorado at much higher altitudes: up to 14,000 feet. The bike has had the valves adjusted and the air filter changed within the last 90 days.

The bike runs perfectly below 9,000 feet, but surges badly at 9,000 feet and above. I would say this was fuel starvation from a clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump, but the surging disappears below the magic 9,000 foot altitude (per GPS).

I think the problem may be the old 2014 ECU Fuel Map that may not know how to deal with Rocky Mountain high altitudes. The ECU may need a reflash with better fuel management in thin air.

I need tips on acquiring a new fuel map and in how to install one via a reflash. Tips? Ideas?

SOLVED: I ran a whole bottle of this fuel-system cleaner through the gas tank. No more surging at high altitudes (at least not on 10,500 foot Cameron Pass in Colorado) !!!

Attachments

• Fuel_Cleaner_m.jpg
    Fuel_Cleaner_m.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Leeway7

My 2014 CTX700D (32,000 miles) is garaged in Phoenix area ( < 1,000 feet) - but for the summer I am riding in Colorado at much higher altitudes: up to 14,000 feet. The bike has had the valves adjusted and the air filter changed within the last 90 days.

The bike runs perfectly below 9,000 feet, but surges badly at 9,000 feet and above. I would say this was fuel starvation from a clogged fuel filter or weak fuel pump, but the surging disappears below the magic 9,000 foot altitude (per GPS).

I think the problem may be the old 2014 ECU Fuel Map that may not know how to deal with Rocky Mountain high altitudes. The ECU may need a reflash with better fuel management in thin air.

I need tips on acquiring a new fuel map and in how to install one via a reflash. Tips? Ideas?

SOLVED: I ran a whole bottle of this fuel-system cleaner through the gas tank. No more surging at high altitudes (at least not on 10,500 foot Cameron Pass in Colorado) !!!
Thanks “MOTOGeezer”
It sounds as though you are experiencing good times on your ctx’, how long have you had your bike, and how many miles have logged in the saddle? TIA

M0T0Geezer

Thanks “MOTOGeezer”
It sounds as though you are experiencing good times on your ctx’, how long have you had your bike, and how many miles have logged in the saddle? TIA
I bought my 2014 CTX700D on 20200815 used with 3,000 miles. As of 20230913 I have 34,377 Trouble-Free Miles on her. I love the tall gearing (only 4,000 rpm @ 75 mph). Makes a great touring machine with great fuel economy: averages 70 mpg. The stingy 3.2 gallon tank is the worst "feature" but a 65_Tank_RS_1279_m.jpgspare 1-gal auxullary tank solves the range-anxiety problem.