Follow Across America

Thumper

Amazing ride across Kansas today! I stopped at a rest area to put on my rain gear and there was an old man sitting with a small bicycle loaded with gear! I was thinking homeless but it turns out, he was Heinz Stucke! He is a world record holder for long distance riding. In the Guinness Book of World Records, a book has been written about him and a movie about his life is being talked about. Amazing man! He was on his way to Chicago on this trip. He is 77 years old. Look him up on Wikipedia. Just when you think you are a long distance rider, you meet someone like him! I have a great pic of me shaking his hand, but can't get it to upload.
Tomorrow, we will be in Silverthorne, CO. Looking forward to doing the Loveland Pass and then, on our way south to San Diego to see my daughter.
Ride safe and talk soon.

Thumper

We rode Loveland Pass yesterday just as some storms were moving in across the mountains! Great ride! Booked into Silverthorne for a few days to enjoy our vacation a little. Then heading to Arizona on saturday.

Attachments

• loveland-pass_4.jpg
    loveland-pass_4.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 43

Thumper

High today was 111 degrees in Blythe, CA. I saw this on my temp gauge but it felt more like 120 degrees! Beautiful area though and we will be in San Diego tomorrow completing our quest to visit all our family around the US! Then after about a week with our Daughter and Grandaughters, it's the long hot haul back to Florida and work! Been great so far and lot's of stories to tell and videos to share later.
http://www.ctx700-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=224&d=1467727270&thumb=1&stc=1

Attachments

• temp (1).jpg
    temp (1).jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 40

Thumper

1.4L Camelbak inside our tank bags worked great! We filled them with ice and gatorade. Also, we wore long sleeve thermal shirts made for heat under our Tourmaster jackets. That made it all pretty much tolerable even in 110 degree on my air temp gauge. Take a few breaks and eat some Almond nut snacks for energy in the shade when getting fuel. When I lifted my face shield it felt like someone holding a hair dryer up to your face on hot!

Thumper

Into Big Spring,Tx_RESIZE.jpg

The trip thus far! Honda is running great and we have been through everything (High winds, Hard rain, Extreme heat)! We are in Big Spring, Tx tonight and heading to Burleson, Tx tomorrow to visit more family. The blue line without waypoints is a projected path back home to Florida. We will probably change that route depending on time and weather.

Merlin III

Holy Mackerel! I left the site for what seemed like a few days and when i come back you are almost finished with your trip. I am looking forward to your photos and videos.

Steven

That certainly beats any trip I've ever made. I'm very impressed. The memories of this trip will last a lifetime. :)

Thumper

Actually, we have ridden through every state in the Intercontinental US before this trip. This was our chance to do some of them again! It's been great and anyone with the time, a little extra money and the desire, can do a trip like this. I highly recommend it as a way to get away from the bad media bombarding you life everyday, and reconnect with family.

Thumper

That certainly beats any trip I've ever made. I'm very impressed. The memories of this trip will last a lifetime. :)

Steven, you must go ride across the Wabash Cannonball bridge! It crosses between Illinois and Indianna. St. Francis, Illinois is where it begins. Very, very cool bridge! I will post videos after returning home.ride-across-bridge_2.jpg

Steven

I highly recommend it as a way to get away from the bad media bombarding you life everyday
I spend too much time thinking about things I cannot change and have actually often thought about what you just said. As for the bridge, it's only about 200 miles from me, an easy one day trip there and back. Thanks!

Merlin III

I came across a bridge like that last year, but not nearly as long. Coming around a bend at 35 MPH and all the sudden, without warning, seeing a 3' strip of road was a shock and my first impulse was to slow down. Wrong! Speed up and focus on the other side of the track. :)

Thumper

Update: Made it home today (6-22-16). Right on schedule! Everything was great, the bikes were perfect, oil has already been changed and the bikes finally cleaned. There is much more maintenance to perform and I have a lot of great video to go through and edit! Work starts back for me next week so hope to at least get one video of the Wabash up before then.

randy1149

Great job Thumper! You've done what most of us WISH we could do and most important you've made it home safely with life long dreams you'll never forget. Thanks for the pix and look forward to those videos your editing.

Thumper

I am very proud of my wife TheMagster! This is her 3rd cross country trip, but her 1st across such diverse terrain and increment weather. She is a great motorcyclist and a true free spirit!