What's your favorite place to ride?

purplesea

As the topic says. Where have you been for a ride that you just have to go back to? Could be local or international, I'd love to hear your guys' input!

kateric99

The farthest I've been was to Portugal. I've rode in the Serra da Estrela mountains with a couple of Portuguese friends I have studying in my college.
It's a snowy mountain, but I couldn't possibly ride if it was snowing. :)

jasonwright

There is an incredible road in Romania which is perfect for the CTX700!! I think they featured it on Top Gear, it's a very famous room. It's got smooth twists and curves which really brings out the sleekness of your ride.

avadarling

I love riding down side rides in a woodsy area on a hot summer day. The road gets really cold like a air conditionar because of all the shade from the trees. Thats my favorite!

Beanbags

Even though it's a bit off topic considering these are all road bikes, I love a bit of off-road action. Nothing gets the blood pumping more.

willstat

The best place I have ridden is just outside of my town. I've never taken the bike out of New York State so I am limited. We have a secluded rural area about 15 minutes away from my village where very few cars drive. It has a lot of straight aways and I never see cops in the area :). That's where I really open my bike up!

klieny

I just love to ride in secluded areas, especially when highways aren't busy and no cops around. I feel free whenever I'm doing it.

Last edited:

Chaos

A few years back I was in France and Italy on a road near the Mediterranean sea, the scenery was spectacular and the smell of oranges, lemons and flowers combined with the sea breeze created something of a dream ride, I sometimes remember that and smile... what a great place to live and ride a bike.

hbmm

Oh wow, everyone's favourite places sound so much nicer than mine, I've never left england :( I would love to explore further! I once rode when the sun was rises along a sea coast in the north west of england. The seagulls were starting to make noise and everywhere was so quiet and peaceful:)

Chaos

You should make a trip to France, even Normandy is a beautiful place with lot's of amazing roads. I would like to go and see England and ride on the Atlantic coast or in Scotland. I hope I would have this opportunity next year maybe during the summer to avoid the rain and cold temperatures in the north.

dapperdileep

There are 3 hill stations in riding distance from my place. Never miss an opportunity to go any one of 'em whenever I get a chance.

Trellum

I'd love riding all around Norway... well the southern part of the country at least. Those roads are magic, I swear. I love the fact they're surrounded by forests... and wildlife, the place where I live has the ugliest roads ever... all you can see yellow grass and dirt everywhere. Such a depressing view.

JudyCap

I love to ride almost anywhere in North Idaho. I have gone solo many times, but if I go for very far that way, I like to have a destination and people that know I am coming their way.

One place to stay away from if you are on a rode bike, is the RXR tunnels by Avery Idaho up the ST. Joe River. It is dark in those tunnels, and it is a gravel base~ feels like you are riding on marbles!

Steven

Anywhere but here in the midwest USA. It's flat and all the roads are straight. Anyway, it' has it's pluses. When I do get to go somewhere else that is scenic, it really invigorates me, more so than people who live there. It's like Spring after a cold Winter.

randy1149

I have several favorite roads. In NY Rt. 301 Carmel to Cold Springs about 19 miles long it's like a public race track. In general most of the back roads in NYs Dutchess County are excellent, lots of twisties and no traffic. In Ct. Rt.7 from Kent up past Lime Rock along the Housatonic River over 20 miles of great road and scenics. Stop in Kent for lunch. A few years ago I did the Edelweiss Alpine 7 day tour thru the Alps and 5 countries.

Merlin III

My favorite is Vermont for a lot of reasons. The primary one being it is close. It also has some great unspoiled roads with lots of isolated old farms nestled in the hills. I love looking at old New England non-working farms with their houses and old style barns. The State is basically unspoiled IMO.

Last edited:

Merlin III

Steven, I consider myself a geographer. I love seeing isolated parts of America, Canada, and Mexico that reflect regional differences. I have enjoyed riding through the Midwest especially when coming into the many small towns. The area between the towns, well, that can get monotonous, but so can the Rockies and the Southwest. :)