What to look for when buying a motorcycle helmet?

jonnypop

I want something with sleek design and not too heavy. Of course protection is most important for me.

Anything that passes the ECE 22.05 is good for an option in my book.

Trellum

I want something with sleek design and not too heavy. Of course protection is most important for me.

Anything that passes the ECE 22.05 is good for an option in my book.

Same here! I finally meet someone over here who thinks the design is also important :) For me safety is a bit more important, then comes design ;) Plus fit, the fit must be perfect. Lately I've been checking a lot helmets and I'm not entirely happy with them :(

andrew172

I suppose the design can be important to you but not at the compromise of safety. I get that most people wouldn't want an ugly helmet, but don't a prettier helmet, if you don't think it's as safe as the other one.

margarito

Wow, really? I'll take a look at those! So far the helmets I've seen over here are so expensive and the style and design aren't that great. I wish we had more stores to choose from. I might go for a sport style helmet, but I'll have to check a lot first. For me safety and design comes first, then comes comfort and fit.

The designs of sport style helmets are remarkably good as far as my views and knowledge are considered. I suggest you to try the original models that are really good, being your first priority, and you will surely find a sense of comfort, which being your second.

margarito

Yeah, I've been saying safety comes first always, then style ;) I'm a woman, so the style is really important for me. Then comes comfort :) I think of a riding helmet as a pair of shoes, because you basically need to take the same things into account when buying a pair of shoes... you need safety if you are looking for boots that can be used when it snows. Style is also important, and so is comfort, practical thinking ;)

A stylish helmet with great comfort would be the better frame ;) Because both these factors are like two rails upon which the train runs. These two are equally considered while selecting a helmet. Well, in practical, according to you, nobody affords a helmet unless it is both stylish and comfortable.

hdejong

The most crucial aspect of buying a new motorcycle helmet is taking an accurate measurement. All you need is a helper and a soft tape measure (or piece of string to measure later with a ruler). The measurement needs to be around the widest part of the brow. Cheek pads are size-interchangeable for comfort, so the most important region is the crown of the head. To ensure no pressure points and a comfortable and, most importantly, safe fit, please take the time to measure properly and please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions.

Oivas

There are only three things that would be my evaluation criteria for a helmet.

1. Feel and Fit
2. Reputed Manufacturer
3. Price

The feel and fit should be perfect if you are going to be riding everywhere with them. No point in owning a helmet which is pain to wear each time. Check if the Helmet is from a reputed maker and not some run-of-the-mill one. Lastly, if both the above two points are fine, I would like to look at the price. I am keeping price last since the other two are way to important to not consider while buying a helmet.

andrew172

I'll be honest, sometimes I don't even go out with a helmet on. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but still. But when I do have my helmet, I do feel a lot more safe and secure

MegaZero

I always look at what the helmet is made out of. Is the material good? Is it durable? Is it comfortable?

These are all the aspects I always look at.

firelily99

Fit is certainly a huge part of buying a helmet because if it doesn't fit properly it won't protect the head properly. Everybody's head is different so the main thing is to do the research and try a number of different kinds on.

Trellum

Thanks, Vulcan! You sound like a true expert, so I'll ake your word for it :) I'll try to check those helmets next time I go helmet hunting. Finally someone gives me a bran name to look for :)

Trellum

Fit is certainly a huge part of buying a helmet because if it doesn't fit properly it won't protect the head properly. Everybody's head is different so the main thing is to do the research and try a number of different kinds on.

Yeah, being comfortable while wearing a helmet and riding is really crucial, specially when you are riding around the city. I tried some helmets a while ago, and I liked none of them. Mostly because the fit, some of them felt so loose and others so damn tight! I couldn't imagine myself riding wearing one of those helmets.

Trellum

I personally prefer matte colored helmets compared to the shiny metallic ones.

Actually it's important to find a helmet with a very bright color, so the drivers can see you when you ride around the city or any other place with a lot traffic. his is specially important if you like to ride at night. There are many blind spots, and that's something that makes some riders worried. I'm thinking of getting a lime green helmet, lol.

I always look at what the helmet is made out of. Is the material good? Is it durable? Is it comfortable?

These are all the aspects I always look at.

Do you usually go for the brand? My mom does that a lot. It's hard to know whether or not a helmet is made with a good material by just looking at it, unless you are an expert. That's why I guess I'll use the brand name as a guide ;)

Trellum

I'll be honest, sometimes I don't even go out with a helmet on. I know it's a terrible thing to do, but still. But when I do have my helmet, I do feel a lot more safe and secure

Man! Why do you do that, lol? Isn't it actually super uncomfortable to ride without a helmet?? Like for example the air and the bugs...?? ask because I have never ridden a bike without a helmet on. I guess I should ask my cousin to sell me his spare helmet, that helmet seems to fit me so well. But seriously, Andrew, you should really start wearing a helmet every time you ride.

novasparker

Safety and protection. The helmet has to be DOT approved in the US to even be legal to wear on the street. While there are many different styles of helmet, you should go with the one that provides you with the most protection and that is comfortable for you to wear. You should be able to see without obstruction, the helmet should fit snuggly on your head without being uncomfortable and you should wear the most protection you can get. I like full face helmets. They just make me feel more secure. My husband often wears the ones that just go over the top of the head. He says he can see better and they fit better. But they don't do it for me.