Multiple upgrades (extra foot pegs, STS turn & brake electronics, muffler swap, more) INFO

orhiker

I'm most way through installing a bunch of options. This info may help some of you: I'll add updates when things are completed + pics, parts & directions so you can see if they like it, and if so, do it yourself most easily. Here's what's getting installed:

Bestem Top Box linked to flashing brake light
STS Smart Turn System & STS Smart Brake Module (excellent How-To on this list has one error)
Extra foot pegs for standard (upright) seating
Delkevic 14" Oval muffler - requires a short, straight custom pipe. The muffler w/hanging strap & clamps is only $150 on Amazon)
Extra 12V & USB panel inside fairing
NC700 center stand & OEM stop peg from Webike. [NOTE: I got 2 extra stop pegs: $48 each, sealed, mailed to you immediately via USPS]
Screaming Banshee system with new horn
Corbin seat with driver backrest (may mean my OEM seat becomes available to sell)

Maybe more to come as I see stuff I want...

Last edited:

orhiker

Delkevic exhaust is installed. No welds, just an aluminum pipe with a proper ID of 1.49" and OD of 1.97". I think it's MUCH more attractive, whether you have panniers or not. Opinions?

Attachments

• CTX_New_Exaust2.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust2.jpg
    674.5 KB · Views: 36
  • CTX_New_Exaust5.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust5.jpg
    686.4 KB · Views: 30
  • CTX_New_Exaust1.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust1.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 26
  • CTX_New_Exaust3.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust3.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 30
  • CTX_New_Exaust7.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust7.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 32
  • CTX_New_Exaust6.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust6.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 31
  • CTX_New_Exaust4.jpg
    CTX_New_Exaust4.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 29
  • CTX_RearView.jpg
    CTX_RearView.jpg
    674.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

orhiker

Rider pegs installed. 10mm screw-in pegs (10mm X 1.25 thread pitch). Simply drill with a 11/32" bit then tap. I'm totally psyched, except I have to paint the end caps black I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CJC4XM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_h0SYEb838GSE7. Seem absolutely strong enough to stand on them while going over tracks, road ruts and nasty speed bumps.

Attachments

• CTX_New_Pegs1.jpg
    CTX_New_Pegs1.jpg
    812.1 KB · Views: 37
  • CTX_New_Pegs2.jpg
    CTX_New_Pegs2.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

orhiker

I loved the sounds from it I found on YouTube - gave a hint of throatiness so the bike sounded not quite so "overly refined" to my mind. Plus, I really prefer the new look. Because the valve cover is still off to check valve clearances, and it needs coolant before being buttoned back up, I haven't been able to hear it purr yet. Comes with a removable baffle, so I can have the sound I like with two different volume options.
Here are two links for sound with and without the baffle. Was recorded inside, but my impression of using the baffle isn't volume but that it (barely) takes out the lowest tones, almost imperceptibly. Here is Delkevic sound. Without baffle: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e7ur9bfcb9okobf/Running no Baffle.mp4?dl=0 With baffle: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bt4ytz1z2aqfp8/Running with Baffle.mp4?dl=0. Interested in your reactions. There was a tiny bit of interference with the center stand, so had to trim off the part with the (useless anyway) rubber bumper as per the attached pics.

Attachments

• 20200525_124929.jpg
    20200525_124929.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200525_124950.jpg
    20200525_124950.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200525_125001.jpg
    20200525_125001.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

orhiker

New exhaust sounds (with & without removable baffle) linked above, as well as the trim needed on the center stand. We cut off the now-unnecessary exhaust bracket that holds the black shroud on the original exhaust, too.

Wsom

I got pretty excited when I saw that you installed the STS Smart Turn System & STS Smart Brake Module. I would appreciate your how-to info as I've order the same and it's due to arrive any day. I'm not looking forward to it as I've heard it's not that easy. Have you posted your install on this yet? You did a ton of upgrades - nice! Can't wait to see more pics. By the way, what brand of tires do you have on your bike and how do you like them?

orhiker

I have Michelin Pilot Road 4s front and rear, put on by PO. Haven't ridden the bike with anything else, so can't compare them to anything else. Seem fine... Only have ~40miles on them so far. :sneaky: The OEM muffler shipped today to Tallahassee, Florida - thanks, Daniel. The STS Smart Brake Module was pretty easy, but the STS Smart Turn System wasn't. I have pics of the latter to post that *might* help, I don't know. Still not done - haven't found something to poke into the turn signal housing to prevent the lever from "locking" in a direction, forcing it to be momentary instead. (Interesting note: when left this way, it still works as advertised and cancels the signal when you straighten-up - BUT in order to activate it again, in either direction, you have to do the normal push-cancellation procedure, even though it's stopped blinking. Without that, moving the stem in either direction and it acts dead.) A REALLY helpful thing will be figuring-out a reasonably reproducible way to quickly modify the mechanism. Will post one more pic with everything installed in the Picture Forum now.

Wsom

Thanks for what you've said about the STS Smart Turn System. I received mine yesterday but haven't installed it yet. In fact, I haven't seen confirmation from any CTX700 user yet about a successful install. Not that they don't exist, but more likely that there haven't been any posts to that effect. So you're feedback has been enlightening and very valuable, & I thank you for taking the time to do all that.

orhiker

I think the Smart Brake System is a worthwhile investment, too - plus it's far easier to install. When I roll off the throttle w/o braking, my brake light blinks, getting the attention of the car behind. Solid on with a brake engaged acts the same, but that early heads-up has GOT to be a huge plus for the rider...

Last edited:

orhiker

I swapped-in an NC700 shock for the OEM and have gained height and (TBD) eliminated any bottoming-out issues while riding two-up. Here are pics of the shock and why I now need an extendable side stand. (Gained 1+ inches, but still no issue at all for my 30" inseam.)CTX_Susp1.jpgCTX_Susp3.jpg

orhiker

Have one heads-up for anyone doing the NC700 shock swap: the bike is "tippier". It's easier to turn - more like Sport Cruiser handling than before, and of course you can really hike over if you want w/o dragging. I think it's a great side improvement. Had it explained to me that because I raised the rear but not the front of the bike, I've decreased the rake angle of the front forks. FYI, FWIW. I think it's a great change, but I don't want to feel ride a fuddy-duddy. 8^D

Howlerin

How did you wire the gray lead for the STS Turn Signal module? Did you remove the leads from the splice directly coming out of the turn signal?

I just did my install of the Brake module and that was very easy, all working as expected, but the Turn module has been a pain. After connecting everything up per the instructions, when I hit the Hazard lights, all lights turn off, instead of flashing.