Engine quit while traveling

randy1149

I'm a little late to this thread but I agree with everything you say. @Randy1149 I've called BS on both moderators on the other site but have been rebuked. For the record, I have spoken to several Honda service engineers and local top level service techs - each agree these two guys are full of it. Not just this subject but on several other items as well.
ponydvr those two moderators are the reason why most of us have made this our home. It goes beyond just making sure information given to the members is accurate. It's difficult maintaining accurate data from all the members and another thing when the moderators spread wrong information. What tilts the level of seriousness is these mods are posting wrong information and THEY KNOW IT'S WRONG. These two guy are not stupid and the large technical assistance they have access to makes me question their integrity. Then when members question their accuracy they let loose with warnings and bannings. Little by little they're purging the forum leaving it with lowest common denominators.

Steven

UPDATE ......... UPDATE

The CTX has developed an unusual clunking noise while riding. This is not the clunk of normal gear change. I am getting LOUD clunks multiple times between shifts under acceleration and also when decelerating. I have been through the service manual troubleshooting process and haven't resolved the issue so now it is at the dealer. Not highly confident they will resolve it soon unless a corporate service tech is brought into assist. They simply haven't seen any problems with the DCT's. I don't like to be first for anything except a foot race.

I have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems to me that it's probably sensors or actuators. The computer receives the wrong information and attempts to correct for it. The only thing I can think of that can create the clunking is if the actuators that change the gears are being activated when they don't need to be. I'm often wrong so keep us informed.

Last edited:

Merlin III

I have read in different sites of the problem of having the regular Honda Techs work on DCTs. Most ended up waiting for the company rep tech to make his monthly rounds. At the best dealerships, the tech department flat out admitted right off that they couldn't do much. Hopefully today, that isn't still the way it is.

randy1149

I have no idea what I'm talking about but it seems to me that it's probably sensors or actuators. The computer receives the wrong information and attempts to correct for it. The only thing I can think of that can create the clunking is if the actuators that change the gears are being activated when they don't need to be. I'm often wrong so keep us informed.

At this juncture your opinion is just as good as anybody else's. I've spent 30 years of trouble shooting very large commercial electronics and it's evolution. The days are long gone you take out your volt ohm meter and probe thru the hardware components. The electronic robustness is only as good as the trouble shooting diagnostic the engineers installed into the device. That's what you see on the PCM error codes in the service manual. The issue is just how many self testing in the system have been installed in the system.

We've all heard at one time or another of computers crash then reboot with no specific trouble, those zeros and ones are pesky little devils. Sometimes you get a trouble that there is no diagnostic self testing for it... and your stuck with a situation like ponydvrs. If there are no error code in the PCM your left with anybodies opinions of what's the best way to find the trouble. We all become shade tree mechanics... and Steven you may or may not be right as the rest of us.

Last edited:

Shanghai Dan

UPDATE ......... UPDATE

The CTX has developed an unusual clunking noise while riding. This is not the clunk of normal gear change. I am getting LOUD clunks multiple times between shifts under acceleration and also when decelerating. I have been through the service manual troubleshooting process and haven't resolved the issue so now it is at the dealer. Not highly confident they will resolve it soon unless a corporate service tech is brought into assist. They simply haven't seen any problems with the DCT's. I don't like to be first for anything except a foot race.
Check your chain. My CTX got really noisy before I replaced the chain, lots of clunking (I think from slack in the chain that manifests itself in a dynamic way - yes, stretch in a chain can be different under tension/operation than at rest). Did that about 2K miles ago, now it's quiet again. Also the DID chain I replaced the OEM with is a LOT better constructed, I think I'll get 40K miles out of this chain!

ponydrvr

You might be on to something Dan. When I changed the rear tire and removed the chain to get to it, I did notice a little stiffness in the chain, it wasn't difficult or hard to flex just stiff. I thought it was from setting all summer and not being ridden. I can conceive how a chain could possibly contribute or even cause such an issue since there is a sensor monitoring output shaft rotation and is a part of the ECM circuitry. I just didn't put much stock in that thought due to fact the clunking didn't start until after the engine stopped due to a loose ground on the ECM. You may have something though, thanks for the insight.

Merlin III

I'll second the chain as a potential source of noise that can be construed to be coming from the gear box. The last three or four bikes I've had were shaft driven. The initial noise experience with the chain after 4000 miles and the subsequent correction with adjustments was enlightening.

ponydrvr

Another update

I got my bike back from the shop on Thursday last week.

The problem is completely gone. ShanghiDan hit the nail directly on the head. The cause of the clunking was the chain. The weather was not good for riding so I left it with the dealer to troubleshoot. I suggested several times that it might be the chain causing this issue. The dealership had a couple of Honda corporate techs working on the problem and they couldn't come up with a way forward.

The local mechanic found that the drive sprocket was loose fitting on the splines, both axially and circumferential and was replaced. The retaining bolt was tight to spec but the sprocket wasn't. The clunking still was present. I suggested again that the chain may be at the root cause of the issue. Well, it turns out both were involved. The driven sprocket was also replaced as a matter of best practice.

My suspicion is that in the extended downtime, due to my surgery in May, the chain developed some tight spots ( they weren't really tight but you could feel the resistance ) that reflected back into the gearbox.

The takeaway? It appears I need to do a manual lube with a sticky oil ( like Lucas oil treatment ) for preservation of the chain during extended downtime. Maybe even winter shutdown

A lesson learned the hard way.

Steven

Good information. From time to time I thought my chain felt a little stiff and that after oiling it it was better. I didn't know if it was in my mind. I normally lube it frequently but occasionally I let it go a little longer.

ponydrvr

I run a Pro-Oiler and my chain always appears wet. But for storage/non-use that may not be sufficient.

FWIW: I only got about 21,000 miles on this chain.

Last edited:

casper

Yeah. I run an auto oiler too, and around mid November when I put it away the chain was nice and clean. I've never even manually cleaned. No gunk on it at all. But yeah, I can see after close to 5 months sitting the chain could dry out and get tight. I know my adjustment is fine, but it could stiffen up. Thanks for reminding me.