Under all that plastic

Woodswoman

'Flicker' went into the shop today for Honda's prescribed 12,000-mile service.

Look what the mechanic found under all that plastic. :mad:

This is what my air filter looked like *after* the mouse nest was removed. Assuming this happened over the winter, I've probably ridden 300 miles with it like this!!

MJC

Super Moderator
Looks like you did not use Dryer sheets when you put her down for winter...But on bright side that is the 1st air filter that I have seen that at 12K miles needed to be replace after taking all the plastic off. lol.

ponydrvr

That is a mess! I changed mine last at 60,000 miles and just a bit of oily dust residue.

MJC: What is with the dryer sheets at storage?

Woodswoman

The 12,000-mile service called for the filter to be inspected. I'm grateful. I wonder what harm would have ultimately been done if I had gone my merry way and continued to ride the bike with the filter in this condition.

The mechanic, not expecting to have to replace the filter, had none in stock. An emergency drive down to another Honda mechanic in the lower Hudson Valley was necessary to get one quickly.

Bet that's the last time my husband offers to take my bike down to the shop and wait for it to be worked on!!

@MJC, I'll take advice about exactly *where* I should use the drier sheets. I mean, do I put them everywhere mice might get? My bike would look like a dandelion gone to seed.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
I take a new box of 100 dryer sheets, open it and put 5 at a time on the bike, handlebars, under seat, in in-lets any where I think they will run/sit or try to live. I then put 2 or 3 under each wheel, then take the left over in the box- leave it open and put it under the kick stand. I have had nice eat/shit etc around my garage but never near my bike. I have been doing this for 3 years now. Before that I had air boxes, pipes, headlights seats under seats etc filled with droppings etc. Try it, I use the cheap arm and hammer brand.

olegoat456

You're lucky the little guys didn't chew on your wires == they chewed up my G/F's wires on her Yamaha1700 Warrior & it took me hours to find & fix them all

thomphoto

Conventional wisdom has it that dryer sheets repel mice. I have friends who practically fill their pop-up camper with the things before the camper goes into winter storage.

I thought so too, and stuffed them under the seat and everywhere I could, but this spring when I did my first ride I took the seat off and found a mouse nest made out of drier sheets. My mice did not get the memo. Lol