New owner - Anyone have any experience with alarm systems?

Lemur

I just bought my CTXN and I'm not sure if I'm overly paranoid about theft or not. I currently keep it in a garage until I figure out my security setup. I have a rotor lock and cover so far but I'm planning on chaining it to something solid. I've seen handgrip locks, drive chain locks, and alarm systems. It appears that gorilla and scorpio are the two most advanced systems out there. Anyone use either of them or a different kind? Are they a waste of money? What do you guys do to keep your bike secure? I'm a new rider so any advice is appreciated.

MJC

Super Moderator
Hi Lemur. I think you maybe overly paranoid, these bikes are not worth that much, and not likely to get stolen. You may run into someone that whats to joy ride it or just sit on it but not likely.

I think good insurance like burdicda said, and keeping it in the garage like you are doing is fine. If someone wants to take this bike it is only 500 pounds, so they would just pick it up (4 guys could do it) put it in a trailer or pick up bed and drive off before any alarm could be heard by anyone that really cared about it. Once in the pick up or on a trailer they could just cut the wire to stop the alarm. Any add on lock could be cut off. They are good for someone wanting to just seat on your bike and round it around but the damage they would cost you would more then likely be not worth it. Say someone sits on your bike (not to steel it) and you have a rotor lock on the front wheel, they round it and that lock hits the brake, bike falls over. Now you have damage to the rotor, brake, maybe ABS ring, plus plastic.

So just check your insurance, and keep it undercover in the garage, or better yet just keep riding it...lol.

Lemur

Thanks for the replies. I only have use of the garage temporarily so I'm just trying to figure out what to do when it is on the street. From what I've heard, if it gets stolen you probably don't even want it back due to damage. I just read that reddit AMA with the motorcycle thief and it made it sound like there are professionals everywhere. I'm guessing joy riding opportunists are more of a danger. I'm hoping between insurance, chaining it to something, and a rotor lock I should be covered. If you haven't seen the reddit post check it out it's actually really interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

MJC

Super Moderator
...hoping between insurance, chaining it to something, and a rotor lock I should be covered.

That would be the best you could do, also try picking between two cars or under a light. Any where but the corner, which is a great spot for the van/trailer to park then just back up and take your bike.
Good luck.

burdicda

If they want it they will take it...
Bike week one year the thieves rode around with a step van that had a powerlift covered in shag carpet..just back her up and gone..
The outlaw biker clubs post a guard (a prospect) everywhere they park.