Members how you doing- what are you up too?

MJC

Super Moderator
Hello, Just wondering where the members here have been, and what they are up too?

I do hope all is well and that people are just out riding.......

Myself, I still ride about 150 - 200 miles a week for fun, my bike still runs fine, but the mods still are not done. lol. Been on a few long trips, to upstate NY, Vermont, Mass, Ct, NJ, PA so far this year. Took the bike on my trailer last year, out to Ohio, KY, Indiana, and rode around there. I was hoping to get down to NC/SC this year but does not look like it is going to happen. But I am still happy to be riding.

So, post a note on how you are, what you have been up too...............

ponydrvr

I've not been as busy riding as I want to be! But I did manage to get to Daytona Bike Week this year. I'll never be back to this event! To much noise while I'm trying to sleep - keeps me awake and grumpy. It was something to see though and now I know I'll not be going to Sturgis during that event.

I also made it to Maggie Valley, NC for a gathering with 18 friends from many locations east of the Mississippi River. This is a twice a year event for us so I'll be going again to another location this fall.

I had been delaying some maintenance activities since last year and took three weeks of downtime to complete needed adjustments, repairs and modifications. I found a surprising number of screws and pushpin rivet fasteners missing. I also had to replace my dual camera/DVR system due to water damage.

Including the spark plugs, oil, oil filters, air filter, and other miscellaneous parts I spent a little over $300.

All told, I am happy with the result and my bike looks as good as when it was new (and certainly rides better ;):cool::cool:).

I have suspension modifications left to go and a new set of rubber for the steed before much longer.

BTW: I'm feeling well and my doctors have told me to stay away from the hospitals since I'm in fairly good condition.

Last edited:

burdicda

Good to see you at Daytona this year, hope to see you again next year...
My female doctor told me she would not send anyone to the hospital ever again, as everyone she sends ends up dying from something other than what she sent them there for....

I rode yesterday and spotted a couple of bikers hanging out just off the road at a tiny strip mall shop..turns out it was a consignment/thrift store for bikers only....they had a whole warehouse full of used biker bling...bags....windscreens..sound systems...clothing...wow
We are going back again today when they open...will take pictures and post....

ponydrvr

It's good to hear from you. I haven't seen you around lately. Thanks for the news of the thrift store. When you go back to get some pictures will you check to see if they have a website and let us know?

Woodswoman

I'm still around, but not riding as much as I normally do.

First, it's been a stinky-wet spring. As I write, it's pouring rain again.

Second, I have been traveling a lot this spring to spend time with various aging family members, some of whom are ill. Seeing them again while I still can, frankly.

Third, my husband Mike has hit a really difficult place. He has acknowledged, at age 75, that he really is not confident riding any longer. (Some of you may recall that last year he acquired, at my urging, a CTX1300 Deluxe. We hoped it would help him that the Honda weighs 150+ pounds less than his Kawasaki Vaquero, but it did not make enough of a difference.) As a consequence, we have not gone riding together this year at all.

In acknowledgement that he would be sad to give the hobby up altogether, Mike has been looking at trading both of his motorcycles for a Spyder. No decision yet, though. This is being pretty tough on him.

Tomorrow is "Ride to Work Day". I hope to be able to take Flicker out for some exercise then, since the rain may stop before I leave for the office. Fingers crossed!

Like some of you, I haven't ridden as much this year yet. Weather is part of it, but in my recent jaunts across the city, I've become increasingly aware of how distracted, impaired, or incompetent cagers are. I don't feel safe in my car, let alone my motorcycle. Add to that, I just turned 78, and know my reflexes aren't improving, so I know how Woodswoman's husband feels.

I still enjoy county rides, but don't get many opportunities recently. Arthritis is not a temporary illness, so it I'm constantly weighing the positive effects I get from the ride, versus the consequences when I go down. My wife always says "be careful" when I ride off. So, I too am wondering how much longer I should ride. Still enjoying it right now though, and my bike is still fantastic.

Ride safe.

BobWitte

I'm still around, but not riding as much as I normally do.

First, it's been a stinky-wet spring. As I write, it's pouring rain again.

Second, I have been traveling a lot this spring to spend time with various aging family members, some of whom are ill. Seeing them again while I still can, frankly.

Third, my husband Mike has hit a really difficult place. He has acknowledged, at age 75, that he really is not confident riding any longer. (Some of you may recall that last year he acquired, at my urging, a CTX1300 Deluxe. We hoped it would help him that the Honda weighs 150+ pounds less than his Kawasaki Vaquero, but it did not make enough of a difference.) As a consequence, we have not gone riding together this year at all.

In acknowledgement that he would be sad to give the hobby up altogether, Mike has been looking at trading both of his motorcycles for a Spyder. No decision yet, though. This is being pretty tough on him.

Tomorrow is "Ride to Work Day". I hope to be able to take Flicker out for some exercise then, since the rain may stop before I leave for the office. Fingers crossed!

I'm the same age as Mike and have been on three wheels ever since I came back to riding after a self imposed 38 year hiatus. My CTX/Yelvington trike is my 5th (and final) trike conversion. If he can find one on Cycle Trader, that would be great, but failing that if he wants a "tadpole" (2+1), then I'd recommend he check out the new Can-Am Ryker. They have a 600cc & 900cc version. It looks to be much more nimble than their Cruiser line (and much cheaper) and were I to buy one, I would go with the 900cc version.

Woodswoman

Today he busted his move. A one-owner 2016 F3T "Special Edition," like this one, with under 1,000 miles. The dealer is taking both of his motorcycles in trade.

Picking it on Saturday.

Say a little prayer he learns to like it.

F3T glam shot.jpg

Last edited:

BobWitte

Today he busted his move. A one-owner 2016 F3T "Special Edition," like this one, with under 1,000 miles. The dealer is taking both of his motorcycles in trade.

Picking it on Saturday.

Say a little prayer he learns to like it.

Good for him!! But be advised (and be careful!) unlike his two wheelers, a trike is driven more than it is ridden. I wrote a booklet on the subject back in my Trinity Trike Mfg days. Here's the link to it:

www.magic-pc.net/Images/HowToRideAMotorcycleTrike.pdf

Enjoy!:cool:

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Here's Mike and his new ride!

We just went for a little ride. He is eager to have me try riding with him, but I figured he needs more practice learning how the Spyder feels without my weight on the back. So I took "Flicker," and we just did a small 20-mile loop.

Boy, did it feel good to go out on the road together again!! That hadn't happened since September of last year.

He admits there's a learning curve, but is confident he'll figure it out with practice. I'm sure he can, too.

Bob, thanks again for that manual. Mike has already said that he sees what you mean about certain things.

BobWitte

Here's Mike and his new ride!

We just went for a little ride. He is eager to have me try riding with him, but I figured he needs more practice learning how the Spyder feels without my weight on the back. So I took "Flicker," and we just did a small 20-mile loop.

Boy, did it feel good to go out on the road together again!! That hadn't happened since September of last year.

He admits there's a learning curve, but is confident he'll figure it out with practice. I'm sure he can, too.

Bob, thanks again for that manual. Mike has already said that he sees what you mean about certain things.

Seeing that picture of Mike on his new to him tadpole makes me itch to grab my spray gun and bucket of metal flake! Oh yeah, I'd be online ordering my white walls for the front as well. :cool:

Woodswoman

Quick update:

While I was at work today, Mike took the Spyder out for a favorite 100-mile loop. He's determined to get enough practice to get confident on the Spyder before an upcoming rally we're going to attend.

He told me that if he hadn't needed to mow the grass, he'd have gone out again this afternoon.

"I've got a lot of lost riding to make up for," he said.

WHEEEEEE!!!!

Quick update:

While I was at work today, Mike took the Spyder out for a favorite 100-mile loop. He's determined to get enough practice to get confident on the Spyder before an upcoming rally we're going to attend.

He told me that if he hadn't needed to mow the grass, he'd have gone out again this afternoon.

"I've got a lot of lost riding to make up for," he said.

WHEEEEEE!!!!

Woodswoman, thanks for sharing this personal insight with us. It has prompted some soul searching of my own.

One of my summer day trips will be to get a test ride on a Cam Am Ryker. I've always been a realist, and at 78, with arthritic knees, I pay more attention these days to how confident I feel on my CTX when backing into parking places, etc. After all, it doesn't sound realistic to believe I'll still be riding for say five more years.;)

So, I've been looking at this "bike" and wanted to get some seat time with it to see if this would be a substitute to release the same endorphins my CTX does. Is not being able to lean and balance the bike going to be a deal breaker for me? It's a question I have to answer for myself.

It's in my price range, and seems to have a good range of available add-ons. I've listened to Bob say he prefers trikes now, and I think I'll give it a try.:)

Remember, the realist doesn't complain about an ill wind, he/she adjusts the sails.:D

Woodswoman

Professor, Mike continues to be glad he made his transition. He still gets out in the wind, still has the rush of speed. But the burden of worrying whether he's going to drop the bike is lifted.

He has, with a deep sigh, admitted that this ain't a motorcycle. He misses leaning. He loves motorcycling, and he was -- still is -- fine once he got up to a certain speed and the physics kicks in. But then there were the sorta scary times when he was NOT fine ... and, well, here he is on 3 wheels.

So Mike is treating this as learning to drive something new. Add another one to the list, along with motorcycles, cars, horse vans, U.S. Army 5-ton trucks, etc.

While he was looking at Spyders, I had plenty of time to stroll show-room floors and sits on Rykers. Just settling down onto that low-slung seat makes me grin. Bet that machine's a TON of fun!! :D

Last edited: