Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    864
    It was below zero yesterday morning and warmed to a balmy 10 degrees by noon, that says it all.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    St Petersburg fl.
    Posts
    70
    As usual my timing is terrible. I put a $9,000 roof on last Feb and just had $13,000 worth of new windows installed that I contracted to have done last November. Now I hear that the Gov. under the new red green deal is going to redo every building in the US. to be more efficient so that if I would have waited, all of you guy’s “taxpayers” would have paid for it!!!! Now the new windows make the rest of the house look shabby, so more work to do. Oh well , I have about run out of farkleing ideas and have been resigned to just riding the bike one day each weekend time and weather permitting. Thank god its so cheap to operate due to I am more than a little short of cash these days. For those up north spring is near and great riding weather is just around the corner. For those of us down south excessive heat and humidity is just around the corner.
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by 12MANY View Post
    As usual my timing is terrible. I put a $9,000 roof on last Feb and just had $13,000 worth of new windows installed that I contracted to have done last November. Now I hear that the Gov. under the new red green deal is going to redo every building in the US. to be more efficient so that if I would have waited, all of you guy’s “taxpayers” would have paid for it!!!! Now the new windows make the rest of the house look shabby, so more work to do. Oh well , I have about run out of farkleing ideas and have been resigned to just riding the bike one day each weekend time and weather permitting. Thank god its so cheap to operate due to I am more than a little short of cash these days. For those up north spring is near and great riding weather is just around the corner. For those of us down south excessive heat and humidity is just around the corner.
    Yep you blew the (red?) green new deal. But that's okay, they'll pay you if you don't want to work, so you can get in on that. :-)

    BTW, I was looking at how much the "Deal" would cost and supposedly it would be about $93 trillion. So I then wondered how much money there was in the world and according to the CIA, it's about $80 trillion.

    This kind of remind me of the movie when Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers movie asked for "One billion gagillion fafillion shabadabalo shabadamillion shabaling shabalomillion yen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKT3MIfwpo

    So... you see what happens when it's cold outside and you can't ride? You think of stupid things to read about....

  4. Likes 12MANY liked this post
  5. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    St Petersburg fl.
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yep you blew the (red?) green new deal. But that's okay, they'll pay you if you don't want to work, so you can get in on that. :-)

    BTW, I was looking at how much the "Deal" would cost and supposedly it would be about $93 trillion. So I then wondered how much money there was in the world and according to the CIA, it's about $80 trillion.

    This kind of remind me of the movie when Dr. Evil in the Austin Powers movie asked for "One billion gagillion fafillion shabadabalo shabadamillion shabaling shabalomillion yen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngKT3MIfwpo

    So... you see what happens when it's cold outside and you can't ride? You think of stupid things to read about....
    In politics, a red flag is a symbol of Socialism, or Communism, or sometimes left-wing politics in general according to WIKI so I call it the new red green deal. Also there was a show called the “Red Green Show” the Canadian version of “ Home Improvement”. Red Green would use duct tape to fix everything like what the Fed uses to hold our economy together. If you Google “ How long would it take to count a trillion dollars” Math Central says counting a dollar a second it would take 31,709.79 years! Makes it a little easier to wrap your head around it and realize how insane it all is. This is why I ride a motorcycle , to tune all of this thinking out for a few precious hours. I wonder what all of the Ted Bundy’s of the world would do with their time if they didn’t have to waste 8 hours a day working? Scary thought!!
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    864
    Quote Originally Posted by 12MANY View Post
    In politics, a red flag is a symbol of Socialism, or Communism, or sometimes left-wing politics in general according to WIKI so I call it the new red green deal. Also there was a show called the “Red Green Show” the Canadian version of “ Home Improvement”. Red Green would use duct tape to fix everything like what the Fed uses to hold our economy together. If you Google “ How long would it take to count a trillion dollars” Math Central says counting a dollar a second it would take 31,709.79 years! Makes it a little easier to wrap your head around it and realize how insane it all is. This is why I ride a motorcycle , to tune all of this thinking out for a few precious hours. I wonder what all of the Ted Bundy’s of the world would do with their time if they didn’t have to waste 8 hours a day working? Scary thought!!
    Thanks for explaining that. Not to get into politics much, but if you divide all the money the world has among all the people in the world, each person would have around $10,000. That's the end result of wealth distribution. Everyone's poor. The solution is fewer people.

    Since 10 grand isn't much money (hardly enough to live on) it's reasonable to surmise that it's this income inequality that drives innovation and the economy forward. After all, without people with disposable income that can afford to buy the luxuries like cars, phones, computers, and such, that market would not exist.

    Anyway, it's just thinking outside the box, so to speak, nothing to take seriously.

  7. Likes 12MANY liked this post
  8. #16
    This is the time to start cleaning, modifying, putting the battery tender away. I bought my 2014 CTX700N in the fall of 2015 which means I will have pampered it for almost 4 years fall of 2019. It has been everything I hoped for and more! This past fall I did 3 year birthday review video. Maybe a quick viewing of my video will get help you get the cobwebs off and get us thinking about riding and spring! Enjoy the show!



    Jimmy
    AKA Spirit IV
    Last edited by admin; 03-19-2019 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Embed Video

  9. Thanks Woodswoman thanked for this post
    Likes Steven liked this post
  10. #17
    I just wanted to sum up my first experience as a snowbird down here in Hilton Head , SC. As my dad used to say, "be the Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise", we'll be heading north to Rochester at the end of the month. Looking forward to getting the Silver Bullet out of winter storage and starting my riding season.

    This has been an amazingly pleasant three-month winter for me. I bought a cheap electric bicycle are rode about three times a week through the bike paths down here enjoying the weather and the scenery. Not quite motorcycling, but two-wheeling anyway. If the Lord is willing, we'll come back in November this year when the CTX goes in storage again. This time for a 5 month stay. I hear it gets very hot and humid in the summer so I'll be glad I'm in Rochester then.

    Anyway, I hope this short you tube sums up my feelings about this place..I hope it plays...I'm not a videographer...Enjoy.

    Last edited by admin; 03-19-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Embed Video
    Professor

    Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS
    Mods:
    Puig Universal Touring windscreen
    Custom Taylor 33 reflective rim tape
    Corbin standard seat
    Mutazu rear rack assembly
    Mutazu hard saddle bags
    T-Rex center stand
    Comie top case

  11. Likes Steven, Woodswoman liked this post
  12. #18
    Junior Member cruisinTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Fritch, Tx
    Posts
    13
    Good morning. I thought about posing these thoughts in a new thread, but they are related to, "where is everybody?" I joined very recently because a close friend of mine allowed me to ride his CTX700 (manual) and I was so impressed, I wanted to learn more. Sadly, this place seems to be deserted right now. I did get a few early questions answered but still curious about a few things. I'm also still considering downsizing my stable with a down-sized bike like the CTX700 but leaning more toward the automatic over the manual. That preference is based on the thought, it is probably easier to adapt for the vertically challenged and being able to reach the foot controls with only a 27" inseam. I have no problem with the hand controls as some misunderstood in another post. I also have no problem with riding skills as I started in 1968 and have now logged almost 470K miles on two wheels. I'm just thinking, at age 65 with arthritis causing a lot of weakness and pain in my hips and knees, it's time to be sensible and find a smaller, lighter bike that is safer for this old fat guy when stopped, (riding is not a problem). All that said, I'd like to ask the question again, where is everybody, and what are your thoughts on the best version of the CTX700 for touring? As mentioned earlier, I have a lot of experience on bikes that includes some fairly long trips. I'm just wondering about the 700 as a touring machine; specifically what are preferences on luggage, windscreens and fairings. The bike I once considered my first "touring bike" was a 1968 Honda CB350, but my actual first touring bike was a 1976 BMW R75/6 (750cc full dresser)

    I'm still mulling over selling two of my BMWs; both are 2000 model oilheads; an R1100RT and R1100S, to have funds for a CTX. OR may even consider a trade.

    If I've put this in the wrong place, it won't bother me to have it moved.

    thanks.
    klc
    Last edited by cruisinTx; 10-28-2019 at 09:20 AM.

  13. #19
    Super Moderator MJC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Mid Hudson Valley, 60 miles N of NYC
    Posts
    451
    Hello klc.
    There are just not that many people here but the ones who are know alot about the CTX700. The CTX700 N and Fairing models both come with DCT, so no clutch or foot gear shifter. The DCT has a thumb push button to up or down shift on the left hand side. Can be full automatic or manual (with thumb shifter) best part is they will not stall out. For touring the DCT with full fairing would be better. Any CTX will need a better windshield, lower wind deflectors, aftermarket seat with drivers backrest, side and rear top bag for touring. If you also add drivers floorboards, a GPS, more front lights (driving lights) and more rear lights (turn, brake, running and baking) the bike will be even better.

    The CTX 700 DCT was never made to be a full-on touring bike but adding the above listed items will get you there. Overall the bike is very good, great gas MPG's, weight is lite with the low center of gravity handles very well, if you change out the rear shock and spring the bike will handle pot holes much better. But most will be happy just changing the seat which does help with the bumps.

    If you do get the CTX I would say, change the seat and add the drivers floorboards first. Doing this will change how you sit on the bike, then you can do the windshield (get the right height for how/where you sit) add the lowers (wind deflectors), and the rest of the items. If you get the bike used, many will have the floorboards, factory side bags on them. So that will save on cost. If you buy new, adding the list will cost $3000 to do so keep that in mind.

    Good luck to you and if you need any more help ask away....mj

  14. Thanks cruisinTx thanked for this post
    Likes cruisinTx liked this post
  15. #20
    Junior Member cruisinTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Fritch, Tx
    Posts
    13
    Thanks mj. That's the kind of info I've hoping to get. Maybe now that winter is upon most of the lower 48 in the US, more folks will be at home and offer their opinions as well. I'm the sort of guy who seeks lots of input from others before spending large sums of money in hopes of make sensible, well informed decisions.

    It's funny how things have changed since I made my first "tour" on that old CB350. Back then (1971) we thought we were pretty cool riding a bike that size 1500 to 2000 miles in a week. Then after I got that R75 in 1977, the real touring started, rode it 50K miles in 3 years. Now that I have owned several BMWs in the 1100 to 1200cc range, I've decided touring really can be done on a 700 or 750 just like I did with the first one.

    thanks again for the helpful feedback.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •