Anybody got a modular helmet?

Citiexer

Hi everyone, I feel like I want to get an open face helmet but I realize that it's not a good decision in terms of safety. My question is does anyone of you have a modular helmet? It looks to be a great alternative because you can put the bottom part back on and turn it into a full-face. Is it really worh it?

ofdave

I have a Shoei Neotech modular and have had other modulars in the past.
They are much easier to put on and you can raise the chin bar to grab a drink or talk.

The helmet you refer to as modular with a removable chin bar are called adaptable helmets by some.
Nolan makes a popular one. And there are several others. They have too many pieces to come apart for me to be a fan of them.

https://motorbikewriter.com/nolan-n-40-adaptable-helmet-work/
https://www.webbikeworld.com/hjc-is-multi/

I have seen too much info on head/face damage when in an accident to ever wear a helmet without a face bar.

A common error some make when wearing a flip up modular is to ride with the chin bar up. Imagine hitting the ground with the top of your helmet acting like a shovel and snapping your head back when it scoops into the ground. If it has a chin bar, it should be down while riding.

Woodswoman

Hi everyone, I feel like I want to get an open face helmet but I realize that it's not a good decision in terms of safety. My question is does anyone of you have a modular helmet? It looks to be a great alternative because you can put the bottom part back on and turn it into a full-face. Is it really worh it?

Yes, I'd say it is worth it. I've seen too many pictures of people whose jaws were broken during a riding accident; I've got a lot of $$ invested in my teeth, and I want to keep my mouth and jaw intact.

Two pieces of advice I would offer from experience:

(1) Be very certain that the parts connecting the chin section to the main helmet are made of *metal.* My first modular helmet was from GMAX, and its connections were plastic. After about two years of regular use, I found one day to my amazement that the chin piece had stopped locking into place. I seemed like it was locked, but a sharp-ish blow from beneath with my hand caused it to flip up. So it would not have protected me in any kind of accident. Into the trash with that bad boy!

(2) Consider the weight of the helmet you choose. Modulars tend to weight more than full-face helmets; all those mechanisms weigh something, after all. If you're looking at two different modular helmets, give stronger consideration to the one that weighs less. The lighter weight one will often be made of composite materials or fiberglass that will raise the price. But trust me that the lighter weight *will* come to matter to you after a long day of riding.

As always, the best helmet for you is the one that fits you properly. People's heads are of different shapes, and likewise different helmets are of different shapes. So you should really shop around at brick-and-mortar stores and try stuff on.

For the record, my modular choice right now is a Shoei Neotec. Shoei hats fit my head pretty well, whereas my husband swears by Nolan.

But the truth is that I wear a full-face helmet 80% of the time. My preference, for safety. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Citiexer

Thanks for the answers guys! My main concern was that all dramatic situations on the road appear suddenly when you don't expect it. So if someone goes for a ride with a chin part up and gets into an accident, in the end gets just as much protection as with the open face helmet.
Wouldn't it be awesome if the chin part would inflate in case of emergency like this bicycle thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6E2-r8rgc

Well anyways I think I am going to switch to the modular helmet soon

mtvic

Some modular are safe. DOT rated both open or closed. Issue is, most modular only lift up to above your forehead. Very unbalanced and really designed for convenience when stopped.

I recently bought an LS2 Hybrid (modular). Works like the Tiger only better and easy to get shields. The chin bar goes all the way to the rear, so you can safely ride as 3/4 helmet when you choose.

https://www.ls2helmets.us/modular/valiant

Only issue with these type helmets I see is run slightly heavier than some full faces, but not the inexpensive ones. I good Carbon full face, very light can be $800

ofdave

I recently bought an LS2 Hybrid (modular). Works like the Tiger only better and easy to get shields. The chin bar goes all the way to the rear, so you can safely ride as 3/4 helmet when you choose.

https://www.ls2helmets.us/modular/valiant

that is the only modular type I would consider if I had to ride with the chin bar not in front of my chin.

Riding with a modular open and the chin bar on top of your head is not safe. Think about it.

kujawskir

I had a full face helmet and go through an ID gate every work day. Most guards know my bike, habits, and voice well enough, some insist on seeing my face, and every now and then somebody complains the video shows guards not checking correctly so they all make me show face for a few weeks. A 3/4 helmet or modular with chin raised is so much easier than taking the whole thing off and traffic waits while putting it back on.

I found a good modular with solid locking mechanism both up and down, good internal sun shield, and easy one hand access to raise it easily.
It happens to be a Sedici PF-394 with a ECER22-05 sticker (And DOT).

Prefer euro-ratings over DOT stickers, but quality, fit, and features are really what you're looking for. Some say the best helmet is the one you will wear, so make sure you like it when it's on, looking around, walk through the store a bit and see how easy it is to find other things, talk to people, turn your head.

Citiexer

Thank you so much for the answers guys! Thanks for bringing up the tiny details that I couldn't predict or even think about!

Very unbalanced and really designed for convenience when stopped
- I wasn't really concerned on the balance, but you are right, it's very important, and I kept it in mind while testing a couple of helmets.

So here's what I ended up with (picked the ruby red color): https://www.motorcycleid.com/shoei/shoei-neotec-2-helmet-1500115454.html
It hasn't arrived yet, but I have tested this same size (L) and model at one of the local stores prior ordering.

mtvic

Looks like an excellent helmet, congrats. Just pay attention to the video, even they show the chin guard only being raised and lowered when stopped. You should not ride with it up. Yea, may be OK in a parking lot or temporarily slow driving situation, but not normal riding.

Have fun.