Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by telecam View Post
    Maybe that will get some attention...

https://twitter.com/no_dct/with_replies

Attachment 1118
    Nice looking bike. Imagine if you had a $30,000 dollar 2018 Gold Wing DCT with your issues sitting in your garage nearing the end of the riding season. I have been following your thread on the NC forum and find it very informative. I hope they agree to your terms and take the bike in for a final repair. Good luck and let us know how it works out.
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

I will certainly do, thanks for he kind words and the support.

Bike has now been at the shop for 81 days.... I missed Honda's response to my twitter feed from last week, looks like I have their attention. Let's see what my customer care agent has to say. Fingers crossed. #Hope

Name:  tweet.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  98.7 KB

4. Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Crossing my fingers for you, too!
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

Update (Day 82): Dealer called and said bike is fixed. They are confident the shifting motor was the source of the problem. They replaced it, rode the bike 30 miles in various conditions and will keep it one more day to test. Fingers crossed...

So to sum up:

1. Battery: replaced
    2. Shifter pin: check
    3. ECU (PCM) unit: replaced
    4. Oil and filters: changed
    5. Clutch pack: replaced
    6: Shifting motor: replaced

7. Thanks 12MANY thanked for this post
    Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    Fantastic!
    2014 CTX 700 dct
    2016 NM4

9. Thanks telecam thanked for this post
    Hope they nailed it this time. All of this grief over something so simple. On page 12-24 of the service manual there seems to be only one easy test for the motor itself. You would think they would have ruled this out before replacing the more expensive parts chasing it down. Thanks for posting this over here! I sure will use your experience if I run into any problems. Please let us know if you have any more issues with it.

Shift Control Motor Condition Inspection
    Remove the shift control motor (page 12-70).
    Connect a fully charged 12 V battery [1 J to the shift
    control motor [2) 2P connector terminals to check
    the motor operation.
    Change the battery connection to check the reverse
    operation.
    Does the shift control motor turn in both
    directions?
    YES - GO TO STEP 4.
    NO - Faulty shift control motor

PAGE 12-24
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

11. Likes telecam liked this post
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Hooray, telecam!!

And about ruddy time, too. We'd love a ride report when you can give one.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

13. Thanks telecam thanked for this post
    Iíll sure will. Picking it tomorrow.

15. Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    Update (Day 84): So... IT'S FIXED. I rode the NC over 30 miles in fairly warm weather and intense city driving conditions and gear shifting was as smooth as it should be. It seems ridiculous that after 80 days at the shop, the culprit ended up being a very easy fix, the $220 shifting motor.

So, I want to first thank all on this great forum who have jumped to the rescue with advice, tips, suggestions and moral support. It has been quite a roller coaster since my bike was first towed to the dealer on July 11. I am also thanking the dealer (Coleman PowerSports) which at first was slow to respond and provided sub-par repairs and testing. That coincided with them being at the height of the season and short handed. At a time were they seamed ready to drop the ball and not want my bike back in the shop, things kicked into gear and in the past month, I have seen huge improvements in returning calls and emails and keeping me updated on the repair progress. To their credit, Honda tech services provided guidance in the last repair and mis-diagnosed a faulty PCM (ECU).... As for Honda PowerSports Customer Care, overall a very disappointing experience. Their reps are obviously trained to tame the customer and talk nice but they pretty much limit the scope of their actions to facilitate communications between dealer and customer. I know their products are good (I bought 3 Honda motorcycles and 2 cars so far...) but as with many companies who manufacture good products, they get cocky and don't give a shit about isolated incidents because they know they will get buried in the overwhelming positive image the company enjoys. Things turned a bit sour after I informed them I had started a twitter feed to share my DCT woes. They took notice right away and my customer care rep called inquiring about my intentions to share this on social media...

As for Honda's DCT, here are some thoughts.

- After riding in town over an hour today, it keeps reminding me how great and unique the system is. That is the very one thing that would make me hesitate to fall back to a classic gear shifting motorcycle. For the record, I have owned Hondas XL125, CB500, BMW GS650, F800ST...
    - As far as I can tell, DCT is reliable. There are plenty of reports of riders with 30, 40, 50K and so miles with no issues at all. But if you search carefully, you will also find incidents here in there, most minor and easily taken care by resetting the DCT. More serious issues are related to a bad battery, loss of power, faulty connections, defective shifter pin or sensors.
    - DCT works well and can save your clutch pack from premature wear but with its 6 sensors, shifting motor, dual clutches and PCM, it definitely adds complication when comparing to a traditional bike. Despite the pretty thorough checklists in the service manual and the error codes the computer is supposed to record, there are obviously some gaps to fill when troubleshooting problems. In my case, there was no clear fault code that indicated a faulty shifting motor...
    - I am happy to keep ridding a DCT bike in the city but in regard to my latest experience, I'd be a bit leery to do a long, adventure journey on one.

Coincidentally, as I was leaving the shop today, a mechanic told me a NC700X with 2,000 miles was brought in the day before with a similar DCT problem. I wished him good luck.

Thanks all!

17. Thanks 12MANY, Woodswoman, kujawskir thanked for this post
    Likes kujawskir liked this post