Kick stand mod

Steven

I just had this kickstand extension done today. I thought the bike leaned way too much. This is made from a 3/4 inch aluminum block. I was going to use steel, but it felt to heavy and I was afraid that I would hit a bump and the weight of the steel one might cause the side stand to drop.

DSC04708 small.jpg
This is the lean with the modded kick stand.

DSC04709 small.jpg
This is the kickstand from the top.
DSC04712 small.jpg
This is a close up.

ofdave

that's almost exactly what I did a couple years ago.
It provides peace of mind when parking off pavement.
Nice job.

mtvic

Nice. I've been trying to get MadStad to make a pad enlarger. Available for many other bikes.

12MANY

I carry one of those cheap plastic bases in the gas cap area when I park on gravel but your bike seems to lean quite a bit compared to mine. Possibly it is the view from the camera. As it sits in the garage I think the lean is just right to keep it from being blown over. I took a pic and it is leaning at around 15 degrees on a flat surface stock. I really appreciate your post and keep them coming. I really appreciate people who take the intuitive to creatively solve issues to make their bike there own.
kickstand1.jpgkickstand2.jpg

ponydrvr

I did the same thing after I raised my seat height by shortening the suspension links. I had a machine shop cross drill hales to remove over 50% of the weight pulling on the kickstand. Then I finally took off the kick stand and had it lengthened to fit the dimension of the lift block and had a larger footpad installed. Now, it is imperceptible that any change has been made.

BTW: if anyone wants my old extender just PM me and for the cost of postage it will be yours.

Woodswoman

MTVic reported on the other forum that he has been in contact with MadStad, and has been told that they are starting to develop a kickstand enlarger for our bikes.

I have just messaged MadStad via their FB page ( https://www.facebook.com/MadstadEngineering/ ) and said I'll take one as soon as it comes to market. Maybe some of you would like to do the same. Can't hurt to let them know they've got our interest.

mtvic

Woodswoman is correct. They are now making pad enlargers for some bikes and hope to have one for ours. They need a test bike and I'm out of town and hope to take it to them in a few weeks. Hopefully will be available by end of year. I have one on my NM4 and no longer need a to carry a "pad."

BobWitte

Woodswoman is correct. They are now making pad enlargers for some bikes and hope to have one for ours. They need a test bike and I'm out of town and hope to take it to them in a few weeks. Hopefully will be available by end of year. I have one on my NM4 and no longer need a to carry a "pad."

Working with Mike, I arranged for a couple of guys from MadStad came by my house yesterday to pick up my kickstand I gave them off my trike. That should move the R&D effort near the top of the stack, so stand by for further developments.

BobWitte

I just got an email from Mark @MadStad answering my query from yesterady about ETA for their new kickstand pad for the CTX's. He said they are scheduled to do a run this next week (around Tuesday or so). So those interested might check their website and/or give them a call about price and availability.

mtvic

I just got an email from Mark @MadStad answering my query from yesterady about ETA for their new kickstand pad for the CTX's. He said they are scheduled to do a run this next week (around Tuesday or so). So those interested might check their website and/or give them a call about price and availability.

Yep. I went by this week and met with Engineer. As soon as the prototype is done they will let me know to come by to be sure the fit and angle are correct. They are working off your stand, but they want to try it out on my actual bike. They know there will be several requests for initial run. I will post pics when completed.

mtvic

So…hasn’t rained here in 3 weeks. Mark from Madstad asks if I can come by for fitting on bike. Checking out weather forecast and it looks bad…I mean really bad… big front coming through. He says he could mail it, but I said no, it’s going to take some fit and finish I’m sure and I should come in… next week. He says “but I’ve got these forum guys all over me for one…” so I cave. Nigh rain or sleet, floods or howling winds shall keep me from my appointed rounds…or something like that… and I go in… just for you ‘all.
And it did… rained cats and dogs, trash cans passing me, Tornado warnings, downed tree branches… going home and no power at house.
All good now, and the verdict? Phase one complete. The angle is off, did some shaving on high points while I was there, but not quite done. Also, rear needs slight reduction not to hit plastic when up.

So, they are making a new one and we’ll see if that gets it. I’m not going back in these conditions though!

If you want to see pics... head over to the "other" site.