K&N filter recall

Glen e

Saw this on the other site:

K&N Engineering, Inc.
SAFETY RECALL NOTICE
Dear Dealer or Distributor:
K&N Engineering, Inc. (K&N), has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain KN-204 (black) and KN-204C (chrome) oil filters, and it has initiated a
voluntary safety recall covering those filters.
ITEMS COVERED BY THIS RECALL
This recall applies only to KN-204 and KN-204C oil filters manufactured between March 1, 2016 and September 30, 2016. The KN-204 and KN-204C oil filters covered by this recall have manufacturing date codes imprinted on the ends of the filters that contain as the second and third characters of the code the number/letter combinations of 3H, 4H, 5H, 6H, 7H, 8H or 9H, with the number corresponding to the month of the year (i.e., 3 for the month of March, 4 for the month of April, etc.) and the letter “H” representing the year 2016. KN-204/204C oil filters manufactured outside of that date range and which bear different manufacturing date codes are not covered by this recall. No other K&N oil filter part numbers are involved in this recall. The date code for the recalled KN-204/204C oil filters can be found as shown in the photograph below. In this photo, the relevant character combination is “7H”, which indicates the oil filter was manufactured in July 2016.
1455 CITRUS ST. RIVERSIDE, CA 92507● P.O. BOX 1329 ● RIVERSIDE, CA 92502 USA ● TEL: (951) 826-4000 ● FAX (951) 826-4001 ● WWW.KNFILTERS.COM®

fergy

I believe I have one of these filters. The code was not completely readable but I bought it in 2016 and the second number was 7. I emailed a photo to K&N to see if they think it is part of the recall. I will keep the forum posted on what I find out. My filter is not leaking in any way but I will keep an eye on it until my next oil change comes do.

fergy

K&N had me fill out a form and send another photo of the model # and then informed me that they were sending another filter. That despite the fact that the serial number was not quite clear. Covering their bases.

Glen e

I finally took mine off last week as I'm planning a long run soon, and it had absolutely no serial number at all on it, anywhere. Screw K&N, I replaced it with a genuine Honda filter.