Electrical bikes :))

olivialees12

I've been researching a lot and can't seem to find any conclusive answers.
Are there any reliable 100% electrical bikes? I know it's still an early concept, but what are your opinions on it?
Are they worth it? .

kujawskir

Sure they are! I rode a $200 electric bike 3 miles to work (eZip Trailz) for about 4 years with one $100 replacement battery, and they have gotten much better since then, although more expensive. Leaving the newer batteries in the heat during work all summer is bound to be hard on the batteries, and I always brought my packs inside to charge them overnight. That can be more important with some batteries than it was with my SLA packs.
Of course, that was slow (15MPH without my help, 35 - 45 MPH with my help) and I often arrived sweaty from being out under the sun even if I didn't peddle. Newer non-licensed bikes can do 20 on their own, more than that and they need a license. Where my motor was NO help at all above 15MPH some newer ones help above 20 as long as you're also peddling.

Now, for real motorcycles that require a license and insurance, the Zero is winning races and hearts of thousands across the country including some police forces. I had scheduled a date to go pick one up, until I saw that by design it should stop working if the battery is colder than something like 21-26° F. I don't remember the exact temp but below freezing and above 20° for sure. I commute all year long and only take the van 5 to 10 days a year if raining or snow. I ride at 13° and lower so I crossed electric off my list.
I see most bikers wear a shirt that says "Ride to Live" while their bike sits for 3 to 4 months during the winter. I have no problem with that, those folks would do great with an electric MC.

BMW is fielding a Scooter style electric and many makers are also dabbling in them. Even HD proto-typed a "Live Wire." but it's not in production yet.

Just watch the specs and know what you're getting, some bicycle platform electrics run from $4000 to more than double that and look real good but don't have the guts to be a commuter past 5 to 10 miles at 20-ish MPH. You can get a 150CC street legal ICE motorcycle cheaper than that, but a real motorcycle run by batteries is going to be from about $9000 new to well beyond $20,000.

Are you looking for a pedelec type of bicycle or an e-motorcycle? The answer you get may depend on which question you are asking.

As with anything else, there's no 100% reliable vehicle, electric, internal combustion or human-powered. I watch a Zero forum because I know a couple of guys here in town who have Zeros, and there definitely are some failures, and some owners who are very unhappy about them. But there are some high-mileage Zeros in use with happy owners too, so you pay your money and take your chances.

I'm interested in e-power for a motorcycle but I have concerns about 1) range, 2) cost, 3) my lack of understanding of electronics (if I can't see it move it must be magic) and 4) rapid changes in technology making bikes that are only a few years old obsolete and low on the priority list for manufacturer support.

A top of the line Zero is around $18000 and the quality of the motorcycle components looked to be at the CTX level -- OK but nothing at all sophisticated/special. For $18K I'd expect high-end brakes/wheels/suspension, not entry-level stuff. It seems like the money is being spent on the electrical stuff, not the motorcycle parts. Maybe this is because Zero seems to be a company focused on electric power trying to market a bike rather than a motorcycle manufacturer trying to sell something with e-power. The first is keen on e-power, the second is interested in motorcycles.

They sure are quiet and seem to be very smooth and I could see having one if there was a solid 150 miles at freeway speeds range. But now 100-120 miles at 70 mph seems like the best that can be expected. Maybe there will be a battery break-through soon that will add that extra 30-40 miles.

cheers,
Michael