Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dark side

Ron, thanks for posting this thread. Darkside is very intriguing to many and the more people share their experience with rest of us, the better.
    I'm also interesting to try it out and while doing extensive research, I found this article from the righter for Iron Butt Association - Examining the “Dark Side”
    Can you please look at it and share your thoughts, the article examines both, pros and cons of a darkside.
    What really caught my eye there, that 15" MC rim is 0.1" larger than car rim. 17" MC rim is 0.1" smaller than car rim. While only 16" MC rim matches size of car rim... So, maybe that was the reason your car tire installed easy, as you said, maybe too easy? And that's why 16" rim of GL1800 successfully darksiding, due to better fit?

Quote Originally Posted by ron gerhart View Post
    i went to the dark side on my ctx 700 the tire size is 175/60/17 v rated i know the world will come to a end and there will be hate mail but i,ve dark sided on a lot of big bike,s my victory cross road,s had 26000 mile,s on a car tire when i triked it it,s not for every body take,s a few mile,s to get used to how the bike handel,s but i prefer it.the tire mounted easy and it went on the bike easy has 3/4 inch clearance on the chain and about the same on the swing arm i ran 38 pd.on the air for 50 mile,s droped that too 32 ride,s and handel,s good Attachment 1004
    Ron, I'm curious about what tire you found in 175/60. I dark-sided my BMW R1100RT two years ago with an Achilles 175/55/17 and now have almost 11K miles on it. It is looking like it may go at least another 5 to 6K, but I'd like to get an early start on locating the next tire and the 175/60 would put me closer to OEM diameter. I also dark-sided my R1200C with a Federal SS657 but with it being a sports car tire, it may not make much more mileage than a stock MC tire. The C has a 15" rear rim and getting that Federal to seat was a chore. I am running the Avon Roadrider AM26 that is designed for front or rear on the front of both bikes and getting pretty good service out of them. It should be interesting to see what kind of mileage you get out of a car tire on such a light weight bike. keep us posted.

Ebay has the best price with free delivery
    Achilles 175/55R17 XL ATR-K ECONOMIST 175 55 17 1755517 Tire
    Brand new: lowest price $51.17

Giga tires has a better initial price, but it depends on your zip code what shipping will add:
    Qty. 1 Achilles 175/55R17 ATR-K ECONOMIST TIRE
    Cost per tire $ 43.52

I got mine at TiresEsay.com

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/ach...mist/175-55-15

I'm keen on finding out which tire Ron used as the one in his picture looks an awful lot like the Achilles ATR-K that I have on my RT. The size (175/60) is what caught my attention at first, then on closer look, I think they are identical tread design.
    Attached Images Attached Images