Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Said to heck with it and ordered both tires today. With any luck, I'll get out to my mechanic next week to have them installed, along with a Spring oil change, inspection, and general check-up before my road trip next month.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

You will be glad you did!

I think you made the right call. Cruising down an unfamiliar highway 700 miles from home at close to 80 mph on vacation is not a good time to be second guessing the condition of your rear tire. You still should be prepared for a flat tire if you get stuck out in the middle of no ware. This is what I carry and it all fits under the seat. I have never used The Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger but its small and gets good reviews online. I had yellow $10.00 a Harbor Freight tire inflator that I pried the plastic housing off to make it smaller and put a plug on it to fit my fused battery tender cable. I bought the Honda tools off Partzilla. On the parts diagrams they list the tools that should have come with the bike but never did. The axle nut wrenches fit perfect and are compact and the Japanese Industrial Standard screw driver fits the screws perfectly. You may also want to consider packing one of those small pocket jump starters. You cant bump start a DCT.
    Name:  TOOLS.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  97.4 KB
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

Quote Originally Posted by 12MANY View Post
    I think you made the right call. Cruising down an unfamiliar highway 700 miles from home at close to 80 mph on vacation is not a good time to be second guessing the condition of your rear tire. You still should be prepared for a flat tire if you get stuck out in the middle of no ware. This is what I carry and it all fits under the seat. I have never used The Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger but its small and gets good reviews online. I had yellow $10.00 a Harbor Freight tire inflator that I pried the plastic housing off to make it smaller and put a plug on it to fit my fused battery tender cable. I bought the Honda tools off Partzilla. On the parts diagrams they list the tools that should have come with the bike but never did. The axle nut wrenches fit perfect and are compact and the Japanese Industrial Standard screw driver fits the screws perfectly. You may also want to consider packing one of those small pocket jump starters. You cant bump start a DCT.
    Name:  TOOLS.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  97.4 KB
    Funny you said that about flats. During last year's trip I had a flat 500 miles from home and I had the Stop and Go tire repair kit and an air pump. The kit was easy to use and the tire plug is still working fine 7 months later. I would suggest adding a small pair of needle nose pliers to the kit to remove any nails.

5. Thanks 12MANY thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Funny you said that about flats. During last year's trip I had a flat 500 miles from home and I had the Stop and Go tire repair kit and an air pump. The kit was easy to use and the tire plug is still working fine 7 months later. I would suggest adding a small pair of needle nose pliers to the kit to remove any nails.
    Thanks for the heads up on the needle nose! The pliers and open end wrenches I salvaged from bike and boat motor tool kits from the past and those pliers truly are practically worthless. I have a 20 yr old backup pair of Gerber multi tool pliers that I carry for work to throw in there and are worth every penny if you use them everyday at work like I do and also will pick up a small pair of needle nose to root out those pesky nails.
    https://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Too...g/MP600_07510G
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

The Stop and Go tire plugger kit works quite well. A buddy got a nail in his tire while we were on a group ride in the Adirondacks, and my husband pulled out his Stop and Go, and portable air pump. Saved the day.

Friends have suggested that it's smart to replace the plugs (only) every few years. They claim that sometimes the plugs get old and lose their flexibility, making them hard to insert into a hole that needs patching.
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800

Welp, "Flicker" is now sporting two new Dunlop RoadSmart III tires, plus fresh oil & filter. State Inspection is complete, general check-up was positive, and we're good to go for that road trip next month.
    Former rides

so how do you like the new tires?

Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    so how do you like the new tires?
    Too early to say, honestly. The trip home from the mechanic was only about 15 miles, and I'll be taking it easy until I get to put on more miles and scrub the tires in for real. If the weather forecast is correct, next week I should be able to ride to work, and that will be a great test of the Dunlops.
    Former rides

First ride to work of 2018 today! Woo! About time!

Regarding the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires: Color me impressed. Really liked the road feel I got from them.

Thanks to everyone who recommended them to me.
    Former rides