Any windshield option updates or opinions?

Mcdaddy70

Hi,

I'm a new owner( 700ctx w/fairing).

Does anyone have any new info or opinions re: after market windshield options ( direct fit, or universal? e.g. Puig, Givi, Madstadt, other)? Given the Cee Bailey's are no more, seems there is no consensus on options remaining? I know the drill to good fitment based on measuring from nose down and plan on doing that(I'm 5'10"). Any observations would be appreciated

Thanks!

Mcdaddy70

Last edited:

burdicda

Madstad here...but then whatever you have that is what you sell.....(opinion-wise)
Where are you located Mcdaddy70 ?
Just asking because they are located in Brooksville Florida
I live straight across the state from them and trailered my 2016CTX DCT w/fairing to them and watched them install.
I have cut down a windshield to fit my previous Goldwing and without all the double flow techno trickery that Madstad has you believe
I always cut them so that the upper edge horizontally cut right through the center plain of my eyes...so that if I wanted protection
I could just "hunker down" a little bit but If I needed air I would just exorcise correct posture.
The Madstad did not work that way with all that duality of two different flow streams....and after leaving them I rode quite a bit
and found I was getting a beating...so I remembered them telling me as I went out the door that they would swap it back for
modded changed exchanges...and that's what I did. I asked them for an inch extra on each side and two more inches on top.
That fixed what bothered me and to this day I have no problems with my Madstad.

http://www.greenknights36.com/gallery3/index.php/MadStad

Mcdaddy70

Thanks for responding. So what I am hearing(and it may be wront) is that, you ultimately had em custom cut to get what you needed? And once you did,,,they were fine? I am getting ready in the next couple weeks to pick my bike up from the dealer. And waiting to measure before getting anything. Seemed the madstadt and the different screen sizes available with to start from offered a bit more flexibility than both givi and puig to get it right having just once screen size, like it of lump it. Have seen positive and negative input from all three. Just wanna start in the ball park to minimize my chances of returning...or moding. I did this on my vulcan 1500, and went nuts getting a fit...but finally did....same for me. I like to have the tops at just below eye level...which I could do with national switchblades...and they were adjustable....

Thanks again

Mcdaddy70

BTW...Is your bike on a center stand? That's another area honda didn't think...and don't see a lot of viable solutions for the ctx700...am getting the same bike as you have btw...and in blue:)

mtvic

Several months ago MadStad redesigned their shields in size and shape. The new one is designed for maximum wind deflection. If it doesn't do the job they will custom cut you one, but doubt you'll need it as it's pretty large and fully adjustable. They also offer "lowers" to help cut wind from below and helmet buffeting. Don't think they are on site yet, relatively new and several of us use them.

Add you location to your profile or signature. If you are close to them they give a big cash discount and install for free, and if it doesn't work they make it right then and there.

Glen e

BTW...Is your bike on a center stand? That's another area honda didn't think...and don't see a lot of viable solutions for the ctx700...am getting the same bike as you have btw...and in blue:)

The webike.net center stand discussed here and other forums works perfectly fine. It folds up with no modifications in 30 minutes. It is actually for the NC700X, but fits the CTX as well.

Last edited:

Mcdaddy70

Several months ago MadStad redesigned their shields in size and shape. The new one is designed for maximum wind deflection. If it doesn't do the job they will custom cut you one, but doubt you'll need it as it's pretty large and fully adjustable. They also offer "lowers" to help cut wind from below and helmet buffeting. Don't think they are on site yet, relatively new and several of us use them.

Add you location to your profile or signature. If you are close to them they give a big cash discount and install for free, and if it doesn't work they make it right then and there.

thanks...that is good to know. I did see on someones bike...or perhaps the site...the lowers...Took notice cause I hadn't see loweres anywhere for the bike. also they do appear to come with a separate set that extends out to cover the hands....may be smoking something but pretty sure I saw em on the site. is that what your are talking about? or are they real lowers like on a larger cruiser.

Great info...thanks so much....

mtvic

Lowers are lowers. They attach to protect legs and help prevent helmet buffeting from wind below. Hand protectors/hand wind protectors are different. Several of us have added our own "versions" to help protect hands from anything from brush, impact or simply wind.

I highly suggest you do some searches to learn more as there are several threads on types, install, and previous questions answered.

Attachments

• IMG_20171119_151238.jpg
    IMG_20171119_151238.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_20171026_134027.jpg
    IMG_20171026_134027.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 380

dyenfd

Why not fabricate a windshield out of lexan to the same shape as the original C.Bailey?
Lexan is more impact resistant and easier to work.

Glen e

There is far more to making a quality windshield Than just cutting a piece of Lexan, it needs to be heat molded and shaped, then tested with the brackets to make sure that it's not going to split or Crack.

rickster

The Honda tall windscreen was on my CTX when I purchased it. I've lived with it because it was often tolerable for my riding in our local foothills where speed is usually kept in the 50's. But, put the bike on the highway, and the bobblehead syndrome shows up. (We'll just call that B.S. from now on. ) So, instead of investing in a chiropractor for my neck, I bought a Madstad windscreen for the bike. It was the right choice. The screen is really well made, the hardware is solid and the company was helpful when I ordered and when I needed advice on an install question.

So, now that it's on the bike, I'm really glad that I did this. The adjust-ability of the screen is amazing. I did the windscreen measurement as prescribed on their website and ordered the 16". It comes to just below my sight line with it adjusted to it's lowest setting. The tilt is adjustable too and I have it at 60 degrees....just enough to keep the wind so that it only hits at the upper 1.5" of my helmet. If I adjusted it for more wind protection, I'm afraid that it would be to warm in our hot climate. As it is, I was cruising along the other day at 65 mph and realized that I hadn't closed my visor. When I take a long trip, if I decide that I want even less wind, I'll just raise the windshield so that it becomes a "look through".

I modified the installation instructions just a bit. I mounted the "wings" on the outside of the mounting bracket instead of the inside. If you do it on the inside, the provided bolts will hit the back of the vinyl padded instrument panel. This is what I called Madstad support about. Once assured that this wasn't a structural thing, I was comfy mounting them on the outside (like it shows on the Madstad website). I had to mount the wings at their highest in order to get the rubber trim from the bikes triangular front panel in place, but it wasn't much of a problem. It's a great windscreen that provides a lot more comfort than the Honda tall screen. And, now I don't have to put up with that B.S. any longer.

Last edited:

Woodswoman

Great endorsement, Rickster. I have the MadStad shield for the N model, and am very satisfied with it. Glad to hear the model made for the faired CTX is also well designed.

mtvic

Not sure why they told you to mount the wings on the inside, they go on the outside as you figured out. They installed mine for me, and that's where they put them. Must be a typo in the instructions.

rickster

Not sure why they told you to mount the wings on the inside, they go on the outside as you figured out. They installed mine for me, and that's where they put them. Must be a typo in the instructions.

I think the instructions tell you to put the wings on the inside so that the front panel goes on without having to consider the rubber trim. The wings have mounting slots on them instead of holes. That allows one to move them up just enough so that the rubber trim fits. Blair at Madstad mentioned that they're looking at the instructions for possible revisions.