Taking still photos while riding

Woodswoman

Here's a shot-in-the-dark question.

I'm laying plans for a road trip in May. I can imagine wanting to sometimes take a picture as I ride along. I don't have any desire to make videos, just take the occasional photograph from the saddle.

Anybody know of a camera that mounts like a Go-Pro or similar, and is similarly weather-proof, but that takes stills?

randy1149

Amazon sells tons of GoPro knock off cams that you can mount on your bike. You can mount them for Dashcam function or just to take stills. I purchased one for around 50 bucks with all the mounting hardware on the bike. Below are photos with the cam mounted, which I use as a Dashcam. Here's the one I installed at Amazon and a pix below of all the hardware that comes with it. Amazon Link.

I don't use the waterproof case but you can use it if you like.

Attachments

• IMG_0401.jpg
    IMG_0401.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0402.jpg
    IMG_0402.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 128
  • GoProType.jpg
    GoProType.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 129

Woodswoman

Thank you very much, Randy.

I've tried researching this stuff, and the phrase 'overchoice' really fits. So many choices that it's quickly overwhelming. Just knowing that, yes, I can take stills with one of these gizmos is helpful.

Say, while I'm asking completely ignorant questions: How do you trigger the shutter?

randy1149

The cam will work in regular video and still picture along with dashcam operation. For stills you just turn on the cam with a mode button in front of the cam and the button on top to trigger the shutter. You use the Mode button in front to change the cams function.

I use it mostly in Car Mode (dashcam) in which the cam turns on and off automatically with the power source to the cam. In Car Mode the cam turns on and off by the power source and begins the video recording in continuous, sequential 10 minute files for ease of locating a video file. I have a 32GB memory card that gives me around 5 hours of recording. At the end of 5 hours the cam overwrites the old files and loops with the new one, so your never out of memory. The maximum resolution has a 14MP for still picture. If you just want single pix, turn on the cam with the mode button and then press the button on top to take individual picture. All these functions can be accessed with our without the waterproof case.

The cam will also work in a Time-lapse Recording function in which the cam takes a picture in timed seconds or 1 minute.

Last edited:

burdicda

GoPro's take stills.....

I carry mine when in dangerous areas where I may need to make a quick getaway....
so any of the clones will also do that....

ponydrvr

For stills while riding I carry a cheap camera on a lanyard around my neck. Easy ON, point and shoot. Sometimes I miss the subject, most times not. And it's always ready to aim at the next view on or off the bike.