Super Moderator
I need a new battery, so do I get:
YTZ12S, 12V, 11AH,:

210CCA, SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) for $38.
or
250CCA, AGM (I do not know what they mean) for $69
or
210CCA, GEL for $40.

Last year my battery died and I got a 160CCA, battery not sure what type it is, at a local store. When I stored my bike I never hooked it up to a charger. So now I am ready to do it right. Get a new battery and charger. What band, model charger is good? Thinking about the Battery Tender Junior.

I have the DCT with fairing, and a lot of elec things, GPS, Radio, phone, extra lights, etc.. I know that the DCT models need to have a good battery or things start to not work the way they should.

Glen e

They both are fine, forget the gel. The AGM stands for absorbed glass mat, which is the construction that allows deeper discharge, ability to hold a charge longer, like in the winter if it's not on a charger, and a little bit better starting. However if you take care of the cheaper one it'll work fine too. Remember any battery likes you to keep them charged at 90% or above.

Battery tender Junior is fine, you don't need anything more than that. I use three of them.

Last edited:

dyenfd

You might consider the YTZ14S. It has a greater CCA and basically the same dimensions as the YTZ12S.

ponydrvr

My battery is 4 years old OEM and has yet to be set on a charger/maintainer for winter storage. I don't do cold starts unless I'm going to ride during the winter. If I was to replace it I would go for a Lithium-Iron model.

12MANY

The YTZ12S according to Yuasa site claims 210 CCA and a regular charge current of 1.1 amp. I needed a replacement quick a year ago and bought a battery at the local Batteries Plus. If you buy online and pick up in store its 10% off and it has a full replacement warranty for one year. If it goes bad just drop it off and pick up a new one. You will pay tax but that could be less than shipping on an 8.lb battery. I always use a smart charger on everything except the car all of the time. I use both The Battery Tender Junior and Harbor Freights $18.00 deluxe float chargers @ .75 amp .Yuasa claims “A general rule of thumb is a one percent per day rate of self-discharge. This rate increases at high temperatures and decreases at cold temperatures” which sounds a little extreme. I learned from owning boats over the years that keeping the batteries topped off and not letting them sit slightly discharged greatly extends the life of a battery and maintains their capacity that when lost cant be brought back. One thing you might want to check on is if there is any parasitic draw on the battery from added accessories. I have read on other forums complaints that even when the accessories are turned off depending on how they are wired if not switched still drained the battery down.

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/motor_battery.php

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/honda/ctx700n-dct-abs/700cc/2014/cylaz12sxta

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-deluxe-battery-maintainer-and-float-charger-63161.html

fergy

+1 on the Battery tender Jr. I have used it on the CTX, my Miata and my BV250. Simple and reliable. Not expensive.

MJC

Super Moderator
Thanks everyone. I ended up getting the AMG, CCA 260, 11ah at $49.99 (on sell) plus the battery tender jr. and extra wire hook up (for my sons bike), total was $82 with tax and shipping.

Now we will see what gets here 1st, battery the snow or my elec power goes out again....lol.

Today I went and got my car state inspection done, guy says he passed it but I will need tires ($670), brakes (total $760) and my battery is weak.. ($190).... and I said "So, it passed?" and he said, yes but soon you will need tires, like in 1000 miles, your brakes are rusty and that is going to eat the pads and rotors up fast, and the battery may not get you thogh this winter. And I said " Spring will be here in 2 weeks, who needs a car!"

Then I drive home and hear, 1 to 2 feet of snow is coming.....I can not win, car has 20K miles and I only went 500 miles this past year. seems if you do not use brakes they rust, battery dies and tires rot....Never happened to any of my bikes.........

MJC

Super Moderator
So the battery has not come yet. We did get 18" of snow and the power went out again...lol
Maybe the battery did come and it is under all this snow? No.
well off to the store to get batteries for the flashlights.........
mj