Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  37
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who rode today?

Will ride tomorrow! Ventura to SF... Then back on Thursday. A nice little 800 mile round trip!

Nobody riding here.

They'll be no riding for us in the NE for a while. We still have 28K people in Westchester County out of power from the last weeks storm. NOW 2 more low pressure weather cells well be meeting late tonight. A snow and ice low pressure from the northwest and a 2nd rain cell from the south. When the 2 meet 12 - 20 ins. of snow expected in the Northeast area.

This will probably increase the number of people out of power and make it impossible for ConEdison to make headway on bringing back the 20K people still out.

The temperature in lower NY has been below freezing at times and all those thousands of people without power for 4-5 days may have to deal with broken water pipes in their houses. These people may have to wait another 4 or 5 days. A foot of snow will hamper any restoration of power.

According to ConEd this outage has been the worst power outage in history in the lower NY area, worst than Sandy. There where over 70K people out of power now down to 20K.
    Last edited by randy1149; 03-06-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Looks like the weather held for you Dan. How was the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by soldaze View Post
    Looks like the weather held for you Dan. How was the ride?
    Awesome! A bit cold in the morning going over the pass from Santa Barbara up until I hit Santa Maria, other than that it was great. Tomorrow I ride back down - probably do quite a bit of it on the 1!

5. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Hangin' at the Elwha today.

Name:  IMG_20180309_165724.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  98.1 KB

7. Likes Woodswoman, kujawskir, ofdave liked this post
    Rode to Bike Week Daytona Beach Fl
    Left at 6:30 AM 45 degrees
    Returned at 7:42 PM 75 degrees.....

Now that was a ride....

9. Likes Woodswoman, kujawskir liked this post
    OK, I've been puttin' off mentioning my daily commutes in southern PA (As much an oxy-moron as northern FL). Today I gotta fess up and give a lil' advice.

This is my second winter on a bike. I've been riding through most of them and loving it. I take the cage when there's snow or ice, real or predicted. I'm not crazy insane, I just like the bike. In summer I ride to work if it's dry, I don't care much if it rains on the way home cause I can always dry off or shower at home. 30 F or higher in evenings past has been fine with any rain or snow on the road still melted. 17 on completely dry roads has been no problem at all with the right layers of warm clothes and wind protection. I am not a fair-weather only rider by any means. This is basic transportation so the lady can have the van whenever her friends call for unplanned outings.

This morning was 30 with mostly dry roads, it was not advisable at all, and I'll never do it again. Every dark spot was totally frozen with the sun too low in the sky to help geo-anything. I managed to keep her rubber side down and only wiggle a bit at one slow corner. Praise the Lord for good reflexes and a light, easy to handle bike (CTX700 manual with fairing). Going that slow through every corner to stay safe was neither fun nor was it an efficient use of my time.

From now on, anything under 35 F merits a pre-walk down the block to look for wet stuff. If there's water that's not splashing and/or running the lady must take me in or do without that day. We had agreed on that when we chose a "second car" with less than 3 wheels, and now we're going to stick with the plan. I'm still down with the coldest temps if it's dry, that's never shown me cause for pause, but even Bambi knows there's a limit to how cold water can be before it gets hard.

+ Shiny side up,
    + K.

11. Likes casper liked this post
    Got up, 38 degrees, rode over for a beautiful afternoon 68 degrees in Daytona for Bike Week with a buddy. Great day.
    2014 CTX 700 dct
    2016 NM4

13. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mtvic View Post
    Got up, 38 degrees, rode over for a beautiful afternoon 68 degrees in Daytona for Bike Week with a buddy. Great day.
    Oh yeah....nice big bags on the CTX700D
    gonna ride up again Sat...probably 50's morning and 80 afternoon....
    gotta kiss bikeweek goodbye for this year...LOL

Well, here we are in Hilton Head SC....60 to 72 degrees....sunshine. This is our 4th winter vacation down here, and this time we're asking ourselves why don't we live here and visit Rochester in the summer? My wife is tired of the snow, so we are considering it this time...year around riding and we love the area. We'll see.
    Professor

Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS
    Mods:
    Puig Universal Touring windscreen
    Custom Taylor 33 reflective rim tape
    Corbin standard seat
    Mutazu rear rack assembly
    Effem Tee closet rod mod
    Dream Apparel throw over saddle bags and Nomad trunk bag

16. Likes casper, kujawskir liked this post