Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York

To kick tires or not to kick tires

... that is the question.

My husband has been very, VERY interested in the new Goldwing, particularly the model without the trunk but with the DCT. On paper, it looks very much up his alley.

A Honda dealer relatively near us just got one in this week and uncrated it. So poor Mike is in biking agony right now: He really wants to go see this thing, but he's afraid he'll fall in love with it ... and it costs like $26,000!!

I'm very supportive of his interest in a different bike. He has ridden big Kawasakis (first a Nomad, and then a Vaquero) for around 10 years now. Change is sometimes just what you need to rekindle your interest in riding; God knows that worked for me when I switched from heavyweight cruisers to the CTX700.

Mike's been retired for 5 years. I thought he'd indulge himself and ride more once he stopped working, but in fact he is riding less. His all-time low came in 2017, when he only rolled on about 900 miles.

Pretty hard to justify that 26 grand on a new bike under such circumstances ... but what if it turns out he'd love the thing?? Can't put a price tag on excitement.

Talk about your first world problems.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

2. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    I just saw the new wing, sat on it, wrote my impressions of it in the other forum. You can really tell the weight drop. It comes up nicely off the student stand whereas I then again tried the old model and it was a beast to get up I think the new one world be a good ride.

Having said that, and I was also very interested and hoped I wouldn't be so enamored of it that I would just have to buy it. But I realized that the C does everything I want and need it to do, for 1/4 the price. I liked the new wing, but I came to the conclusion that I cannot justify it at all, I usually put around 8K a year on it, so it's not like I'm not getting my enjoyment out of it. But my cost to enjoyment ratio, and I can afford it if I really wanted to, was simply way to low to do it. So I walked away from it happy with what I've got.

4. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Whoever dies with the most toys WINS... it's just that simple.
    Last edited by randy1149; 02-17-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Have him try the CTX700 DCT when he takes a look at the Goldwing. Not saying Mike's situation is the same as mine, but my riding dwindled with the onset of my arthritis, carpel tunnel, and loss of clutch control on my CB 750. Nothing like stalling the bike at an intersection in front of an 18 wheeler to get your attention. I couldn't afford or handle the heft of a Goldwing, but not being able to stall a DCT bike was the game changer for me and rekindled my enthusiasm. The CTX 700 DCT was the answer!
    Last edited by Professor*76; 02-17-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Professor

Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS
    Mods:
    Puig Universal Touring windscreen
    Custom Taylor 33 reflective rim tape
    Corbin standard seat
    Mutazu rear rack assembly
    Effem Tee closet rod mod
    Dream Apparel throw over saddle bags and Nomad trunk bag

7. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    I wish I could even afford to consider one but if I could I would research the cost diff with the trunk and without. A trunk removal kit is around $500.00 if you don’t like it and around $2000.00 with tax and shipping to add one if you wished you got it.
    08L73-MKC-A10ZA Gold Wing Tour Trunk Installation Kit (required) $854.95
    08L73-MKC-A10ZH Gold Wing Tour Trunk - Candy Ardent Red $899.95
    I don’t think they are going to change the bike much going forward for years to come and they are famous for holding their resale value so if you only keep it a couple years and decide to sale it with low miles it would probably be good $$ competition against a newer model down the road and I think having the trunk would help in that endeavor. Just looking on Cycle Trader, the trunk less F6B,s are selling for around $5000.00 less than Gold Wings. As I get older my riding days will eventually will be coming to an end so if this was my last bike and spent $29,000 incl title tax and tags and 3 years later sold it for $23,000 or a little less I would feel that it was worth every penny. I would also recommend getting a helmet cam so when your riding days are over and gone you can go back and enjoy watching how much fun it all was and that is priceless!!!
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

I also think that he needs to analyze why he's not been riding more. Shifting issues? Or heft of the bike? Obviously a reason for not riding in all that free time. That might change the discussion.

10. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Maybe it is that the Kawaski Vulcan, Nomad was his best ever bike, when he moved to Vaquero (even tho it is a Vulcan) it just was not a Nomad. And little by little lost the need to ride.

I had a Nomad, and after making mods to it, rode many miles, I just love that bike and the Vulcan Forum members. I was sad when they stoped making that bike and came out with the Vaquero to replace it. I would have never looked at a Goldwing, old guys bike, just not for me. I had planed on getting a 2nd Nomad, just to have it when it was time to retire my 07 Nomad. (had over 100K miles)

Now after things changed and I could no longer ride without the DCT, Honda started looking a lot better to me. From 2015 when I got my CTX700 DCT, you would think I would ride more? No in two years I only put 15K on the bike. Plus I have all the time to ride.

So why not? It is not the same, the people I ride with just do not want to or have the time to ride. This CTX is just not my Nomad, After riding over 200K miles localy I have been on just about every road there is, I would have to go 200 miles away to find new roads, something that I plan on doing but not all the time. Would a new DCT Goldwing be better then a CTX700, you would think so but it would not get me riding more, just longer trips with more days between them.

Now if you think Mike is past his Gotta Get Out And Ride stage, do not get the Goldwing. Get him a CTX700 DCT, and let him ride local roads just for the enjoyment. Nothing will kill the Gotta Get Out And Ride feeling faster then a big ass bike that at the end of a ride you are happy to get off of. Maybe going from the Nomad to the Vaquero killed his need to Get Out And Ride already? Ask Mike, why he wants to look at the new Goldwing, is it the DCT or is it something more, what about the weight of the bike, ride etc...

Looking at your riding area I can see where riding the same bike over time in an area where you don’t have a lot of different roads to chose from to ride can get pretty boring and you can loose interest. A comfortable long range bike is just what the doctor ordered to travel farther away on rides to see some new scenery. I have the same problem where I live where I have been in the same area for over 30 years and have run out of single day trips to see something new. If he has no problem riding a Vaquero compare its specs to the Wing and it is awful close to the same bike but way better. The 2018 Vaquero weighs 844.5 lbs with 5.3 gal, the DCT Wing is 842 with 5.5 gal. Vaquero torque is 107.6 and 72 HP , Wing torque is 125 and 125 HP, with the same fuel economy. Vaquero seat height is 28.7 ,Wing is 29.3 only .6 higher. Wing around $28,000 Vaquero $17,000.

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2018-ho...automatic-bike
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

13. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    I am at the spot in my life that no bike is worth over $15K. I just can not see it. I had a Road King before the Nomad and everyone would ask, Why did you sell the RK and get a Nonad. I would say, when I was riding the RK I just feft like I paid too much for it, and it was not worth the price. Just me but can not see spending big money on a bike. I play the Lotto once a week and if I win then I may go for it, but a bike would not be 1st on my list. Maybe a few used bikes.....lol.

With all that said, will be testingg out the new Goldwing, with a group from a meg I work for every now and then. I am looking forward to the DCT on the Goldwing. The group is bringing me along becuase they know I can only ride a DCT and they know I ride the CTX700.

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    In the end, we went and kicked the tires.

Nice bike, that Goldwing. Reeeeally nice bike, no doubt about it. I didn't throw a leg over it today, but of course my boy did. Mike walked away having found nothing in terms of ergonomics to kill the deal, if less than 5 minutes in the saddle on a showroom floor can tell a person anything.

At the end of the day, his conclusion seems to be: Not never, but not this year.

At dinner tonight, he said, "If on my next birthday I was going to be 64 instead of 74, things might be different."

The whole problem is the price tag. This bike would cost more than the last car he bought.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

16. Likes kujawskir liked this post