Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There's nothing stopping me from controlling the Tutoro oiler by open and closing the oilers valve in a controlled process as you describe. I'm just not as concerned of the oil that's flied off while riding. I don't loose any sleep over a dripped ounce of oil spread over 100 miles.

2. Likes Glen e liked this post
    I'm only a pleasure rider and good weather if I can help it, around 3-4k miles a year on each bike. Not a maintenance junkie. I use the Dupont spray and do it when I remember, which is less than the book suggests. No issues, quite chain. May not go 20k but not trying to set a world's record. Since I don't ride in rain or muck much, haven't cleaned chain either. It all depends on amount of riding, conditions, speed and type of riding.

As for the junk brush, I'm in the camp of staying away from it. Bristles can come off and get stuck in chain, and harsh on "o" rings. A good spray and clean up, then lube. An oiler would be nice if I used the bike for commuting.
    2014 CTX 700 dct
    2016 NM4

4. Likes Glen e, kujawskir liked this post
    Randy. Since you also have the tutoro, you've been good in the summer with 80/90 vs their oil? No issues with the seals or flow? How many turns open do you have it set for normally. Thanks man.

I use from 1 to 1 1/2 turns on the oil flow depending on the ambient temp. It's probably a little high but as i've said I want a wet and shinny chain. I have no seal or flow issues.

7. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    The rider does that, from a handlebar control, before taking off or after parking.
    If I wanted to be the butt of oil slick jokes, I'd buy a Harley. <Evil Grin!>
    I can't imaging forgetting on short trips could be worse than some who don't oil at all for thousands of miles, though I wouldn't want to be too far into that crowd. Much like the turn signal, I'd expect at first when whatever distracted us cleared we'd either notice or remember and correct it. As time and practicing corrected actions become habit, I rarely if ever miss clearing the signal, and expect the oiler to be like that.

For my part, I'd try to remember to cut it off a few blocks before home or work, more or less until all dripping ceased. Then I could start leaving the newspapers behind.
    That pro-oiler with auto shutoff sounds nice, but it looks like you already made your choice. I see no reason it can't work.

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Quote Originally Posted by kujawskir View Post
    That pro-oiler with auto shutoff sounds nice, but it looks like you already made your choice. I see no reason it can't work.
    I actually bought one (via a discounted 'group buy' on another forum) without understanding much about it. So it might not be the best choice for me.

However, thanks for all the helpful input I've gotten on this post, I'm feeling more confident that I can make the Nemo oiler work for me without being a nuisance.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

10. Likes kujawskir liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    I actually bought one (via a discounted 'group buy' on another forum) without understanding much about it. So it might not be the best choice for me.

However, thanks for all the helpful input I've gotten on this post, I'm feeling more confident that I can make the Nemo oiler work for me without being a nuisance.
    There is no reason why you can not use that oiler and without being a nuisance. A 90 degree twist of the cap gives you a measured amount of oil to the chain and that's it. No more oil until you twist the cap again. The amount of oil discharged by how many 90 degrees you turn. Turn it 180 degrees and you get 2 measured amount. You have total control of the oil flow... there's nothing to concerned about.

Thanks randy. In the warmer summer I'm at about 3/4 to one turn. Warm and wet days bump it to 1 1/2, at about there in cooler weather. This spring, when I start riding in about 35 degrees or so, it'll sit at 2 until it gets above 60 regularly. When I run out of their oil I may use the 80/90. My car takes 0-40 so I may use that as well for a thin flow.

Quote Originally Posted by casper View Post
    Thanks randy. In the warmer summer I'm at about 3/4 to one turn. Warm and wet days bump it to 1 1/2, at about there in cooler weather. This spring, when I start riding in about 35 degrees or so, it'll sit at 2 until it gets above 60 regularly. When I run out of their oil I may use the 80/90. My car takes 0-40 so I may use that as well for a thin flow.
    The flow rate of the Tutoro varies because it's a gravity oiler, which makes the oil flow affected by the loops and horizontal installation of the tubing. I mix 10-40 50/50 with the 80-90 to thin it out during cool weather.

I have a Nemo 2 and like it a lot. Its easy to install and bullet proof. The design is so simple there is little that can go wrong with it.

1. I use 80w-90 gear oil.

2. Do I have to completely clean my chain before deploying an oiler? Right now, I lubricate as needed with spray-on chain wax. Should I strip all that off first? No, I donít think so. But if it has been freshly waxed the wax might repel the oil so I would just ride it until it looks like it needs oiled again then use the oiler.

3. How much dripping should I expect when parked?
    I give it a ľ turn when I first start out on a stretch of road where I donít have to stop for 3 minuets and donít have any dripping on the floor when I return and park. I would use the newspaper until you get used to using it. My understanding is ľ turn gives a 3 min drip then it stops completely. You can get dripping from over oiling.

4. Is it necessary to engage the oiler for every ride? Or can it be skipped for, say, a six-mile run to the gas station and back? Oh no, I can go on 1 or 2 60 mile rides before I give it another dose. I take a paper towel and check a small area of the chain to see how much oil comes off to decide if it needs another dose or not before riding. After using it for a while you will know what it likes. Over oiling in my area attracts a lot of sand and grit that can destroy the o-rings

5. If I forget to engage the oiler, and I don't realize my goof until I've ridden 100+ miles, have I conceivably done damage to my chain? I donít think so. My understanding is the lube for the rollers is sealed in by the o-rings. The oil is to lube the outside link plates and inner roller link plates and also prevent corrosion and keep the o-rings between the plates from drying out and failing.
    Name:  IMG_NEMO.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  45.1 KB
    CTX700ND DCT/ABS

15. Thanks Woodswoman thanked for this post
    Likes Epic Trekkrr liked this post