January thaw -- I wanna ride!

Woodswoman

OMG, it's over 50 degrees here in the Catskill Mountains today. The ice and snow have almost entirely gone from the roads -- and I wanna RIDE!!

Trouble is, of course, the roads are still a mess of accumulated sand and dried salt, either of which could make me go down in a corner or coat my motorcycle with corrosive stuff I'd be forever washing off.

<<Sigh!>> Wish it was March and that this was the start of a trend, instead of just a temporary thaw.

Thanks for listening to me whine. :)

I know, Woodswoman.....It's anticipating days like this that prompted me to put my bike in storage in November. I knew the urge to ride would trump the good sense not to, and off I'd go. Still counting the days though..:(

rickster

Congrats to both of you above who have made the decision to stay safe when the road is calling your names. Must be VERY difficult!

kujawskir

What is "wanna"?
Last weekend I rode half an hour to Cycle Gear and picked up that modular helmet they had on sale and a few extras.
Yes, the salt and cinders give reason for extra care, slower corners, etc.
One day this week i took the van because it was raining, the rest after that were much better on the bike, although you still need caution as some corners don't always get washed by the rain as easy as most.

This morning I took the bike to the DMV for my new photo. This evening I took a thermal grocery bag across town to bring home some 5-guys on the bike because she didn't want to go. The van would hardly warm up much on such short trips, why bother with that? I'm really liking these chaps with the quilted liners!

Yoda said there is no try. Do, or do not. Well I'm not that crazy, just thought we needed some cheese for the thread.

Rubber side down,
- K

pipster326

Saturday, here in North Jersey, temps were in the mid 50’s. Took the CTX for a 60 mile ride.It was great!! The roads were clear,thanks to some heavy rain that we had earlier in the week. I only got cut off once, so it was a really nice ride. Can’t wait for spring!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spirit 4

I unbuttoned my bike last week for a 5 mile ride for to get a haircut. It will be high and low weather temps for another 45 days then a regular riding season begins!

Jimmy H.

rickster

I rode about 60 miles yesterday in the hills near my home and around nearby Folsom Lake. I wore my lighter gloves, lighter pants and was too warm with my inner down layer beneath my leather jacket on my torso. With with a high temp of 71 degrees and all of the California poppies blooming it looks and feels as though spring has arrived. Because of the cooler mountain passes I won't be going up to high elevations yet, although the high temps at Lake Tahoe (just above 6,000 ft.) are in the mid 50's. I'm taking the CTX in for service and a new set of tires early next week and after that my wife and I are going to ride the bike over to the coast for our first tour of 2018.

The downside of all of this is that we have a mountain snowpack that is 20% of normal and there is no rain or snow in the long range forecast. It looks as though after a year of abundant precipitation we are back in the drought cycle. Unlike most of the U.S., we get almost no rain between June and November and the melting snowpack in the mountains is what we drink and water our crops with all summer long. It's like my enjoyment of my early season riding is a "guilty pleasure". I know you folks in the east have been just hammered this winter and can't wait to get out to ride. Woodswoman, while I've bicycled through the Pocono's on a trans-continental tour, Ive never been in the famous Catskills. I hear they are beautiful and can understand why you're so excited to get outside and ride!

Last edited: