seems some folks are gone?

ofdave

I noticed a recent and very active member has departed this forum and rejoined another saying it is the best CTX forum.
Seems he also deleted many of his posts.
Wonder what's up with that?
More than childish in my opinion.
There was a flurry of activity by some other new people which made for good reading.
I hope they will stay active here. I suspect they got PM's urging them to abandon ship. I truly hope they don't.
I know I got a PM telling me how this guy (the departed one) was a good buddy of a mod at the other place and what a great guy that mod is and how the departed member was going to "... do what I could to knock down any negative comments that anyone here has for him, R-13, or the other forum."
I agree we don't need to bash the other place but many of us here are here because of the bullying and misleading info (downright lies in some cases) that we experienced there. And that's why we prefer things here.
Anybody know why the one guy took his ball and glove and went away?
Maybe it's an example of the mods "my way or the highway" attitude on the other forum.
If so, it's OK-we don't need that here.

Last edited:

Spirit 4

I had about 700 posts over a couple years on another CTX700 site before I was made aware of this site, thanks Dave! I look forward to sharing on both! I like improving the CTX700's value, prolonging the longevity and adding to the great Honda history!

Jimmy H.
AKA Spirit 4

MJC

Super Moderator
Well, People do things for a reason. Some come here looking for info on there new bikes, others get invited by existing members, some hear about this forum on FB, etc.

I came here as a guest when this forum started (within a few months of), and there was not much here, checked out the Other Forum and wanted to asked questions so I became a member there. I also started looking at the FB pages. In time I got my CTX, and when I started posting about mods I was doing, that one Mod would keep telling me, he had done that too and his way was the right way. Sometimes if he did not do a mod he would still stay how it should be done. He also would say things that I know for a fact would end up getting people hurt or damage there bike. I read post after post where members would say things looking for ways to do things or about what they had done and sooner or later that Mod was all over them. I also noticed that the other Mod would fight with him, I do not know if that was for ratings/fun or just trying to set the record straight. To me that is very childish. On one knows everything about everything and if they think they do, IMO, you should not be a Mod.

I see, The other Mod, sells brackets that will allow you to mount pretty much any kind of aftermarket saddlebag you want. Not sure if they are any good but heard they are. I do not think selling brackets is a bad thing, but I feel that if you are going to you should not also be the Mod of the forum you sell them from. JMO

So, Why would someone want to come to this forum and ".. knock down any negative comments that anyone here has for him( bracket seller guy) or other (know it all) Mod, or the other forum". ?
ofdave, you said it, he is friends with one of them, maybe not knowing or agreeing with what his friend says or does. He is/was just trying to be a good will, lets all get a long guy. Maybe he just wanted to help make this forum he wished the other forum could be, and did not like people having negative feelings for his friend and thought he could help.

Just my view, I maybe wrong, that is how I see it or care too.

I am a member here and sometimes over at that other forum, on a few facebook CTX pages and will stay that way. I can overlook things I read at that other forum and on facebook but not here. Here I can ask or say anything, offer my opinion, give advice, take advice and not worry about it being wrong or fighting with me because I have a opinion or ask dump things.

We can all get a long, no need to pick sides, go against each other, share what you know, ask what you want. On FB, that other forum, or here.

You can have one you like more then the other, and find a place you feel at home, but it is always nice to visit other places.

have a nice day.

Last edited:

casper

No. No pm's were sent to jump this ship, that I'm aware of. Nor any attempt to trash this site over the other. Perhaps it was just a matter of minds not meeting. No big deal, really. There's more than enough interesting comments for at least two forums to exist. Neither one is superior. Just different.

randy1149

Considering the history on the evolution between these 2 CTX700 forums, I can only derive from members who quit and remove their post had ulterior motives which did not pan out.

My response is good by & good luck... if the door hit's your ass on the way out... so much the better.

MJC

Super Moderator
In post #4 I said "We can all get a long, no need to pick sides, go against each other.." That is how I feel. anyone can come here or go there has a guest, you do not have to be a member. Most people will come has a guest and look at posts to get a idea if they want to join. I would not like to think that if I joined a group and members there where talking about other forums, pass members etc, I would join. Lets not become that forum.

All are welcome here! JMO. And all past members are welcome back, no need to pick sides. Maybe some people will not but that should be there call. What is the deference if they sign in has a member or just come has a guest, if they want to come they can, lets keep it that way, and not put out posts that would push new/old members away.

I hope it gets warm soon so we can get out and ride,
mj

Last edited:

fergy

Looks to me like this forum is just less intimidating to post on. I still visit the other forum and post, but I like the vibe here much more and am happy that some more folks are joining. It is not a competition. All forums are resources for interested people. I have certainly been frustrated at the tone that is set by mods at the other site. It can get pretty nasty sometimes and it does no one any good. I think it would be great to have two terrific forums because sharing wisdom, experiences and helping each other is what it is all about.

hondafan

Maybe I know. I just noticed he gave me a dislike on my introduction post. I was never invited over to here, just came on my own. Daddydave asked me to please keep things positive. The first thing I saw was the sticky “How did you find this site” and fresh from the other site figured this is where it is permissible to complain about the other site which I did. Not long afterword I realized that I had just become what I had complained about them to be and am sorry I did that. No excuse, my mistake. He also asked that if I had any ideas to make the site better feel free to make suggestions and below is the one I made word for word.

“One observation, when I first looked at this forum last year I read through the sticky thread ”How did you find this site”. After reading the negative comments contained within about the other forum I looked at the other which had more traffic and at first blush could see nothing wrong there so I joined that one. I figured why do I want to join a forum full of disgruntled people with low traffic. You might do well to promote this site better to potential subscribers in a positive way would be to close the thread so it doesn’t keep coming up and dragging the negative comments for people passing through to read with it. New subscribers from the other site will see the sticky first like I did again when I subscribed and feel compelled to chime in with even more negative comments which doesn’t promote this site well and turn people contemplating subscribing off.”

Apparently the suggestion did not go over well!! I sincerely think he wanted to make a new home here and make the forum more attractive to perspective subscribers, nothing more. I harbor no ill will towards him or anyone else for that matter. But I do think I still get bragging rights to being the only subscriber with a “dislike” on their welcome / introduction post.:cool:

MJC

Super Moderator
I think some treads should be moved over to "The Bar" and only members should be able to access "the bar".

"the bar" is just that, say what you want, people are 1/2 drunk, the poster may say things that he/she may not on the general forum.

From my reading treads here, the big thing is not the "other" sites members, by it's Mods. I feel that this forum has become a place for the "other" forums members/visitors who do not like what the Mods do over on that "other" forum. With that said, this forums members have posted treads/posts telling/staying why they have come here, what happened to them there, etc., I do not think these members posts should be removed from this forum. I think members here want to share the fact that this forum, is not like that "other" forum and why.

To me, both forums have great members, great info, and members of both forums have and do get a long. When members of one forum go to the other forum, they see the difference. It is that difference (the "other" forums Mods), that members here want to tell the members over there about. In doing so they may look like disgruntled people but what they are doing is telling their story, some are just trying to help members of the "other" forum and tell them that there is a forum, where you do not have to put up with Mods like that.

As for Daddydave, he is still a member here, and he can posts whatever he wants. (Congratulations hondafan, you get the bragging rights to being the only subscriber with a “dislike” on their welcome / introduction post) As for why he came here, what was he trying to do here, why he asked members to please keep things positive, why he asked members of that "other" forum to join here, why did he promote this forum, etc. In my opinion, You should ask him.

IMO, Just like some of our members here, he found a Forum he liked and wanted to help more people find what he had found. That did make him look like one of the disgruntled people from that "other" forum tho. So (IMO) after trying to make a go of it here, for whatever reasons, he returned to that "other" forum, he decided that the "other" forum was better for him.

I feel (like Hondafan), no ill will towards him or anyone else for that matter.

Forums and there members change, in time we all do, we should keep the doors open.

In my opinion we should have a "members only" area. Let visitors see the the Forum, and members if they want to, go into "the bar".

my 2 cents, mj

Woodswoman

Maybe I know. I just noticed he gave me a dislike on my introduction post. I was never invited over to here, just came on my own. Daddydave asked me to please keep things positive. The first thing I saw was the sticky “How did you find this site” and fresh from the other site figured this is where it is permissible to complain about the other site which I did. Not long afterword I realized that I had just become what I had complained about them to be and am sorry I did that. No excuse, my mistake. He also asked that if I had any ideas to make the site better feel free to make suggestions and below is the one I made word for word.

“One observation, when I first looked at this forum last year I read through the sticky thread ”How did you find this site”. After reading the negative comments contained within about the other forum I looked at the other which had more traffic and at first blush could see nothing wrong there so I joined that one. I figured why do I want to join a forum full of disgruntled people with low traffic. You might do well to promote this site better to potential subscribers in a positive way would be to close the thread so it doesn’t keep coming up and dragging the negative comments for people passing through to read with it. New subscribers from the other site will see the sticky first like I did again when I subscribed and feel compelled to chime in with even more negative comments which doesn’t promote this site well and turn people contemplating subscribing off.”

Apparently the suggestion did not go over well!! I sincerely think he wanted to make a new home here and make the forum more attractive to perspective subscribers, nothing more. I harbor no ill will towards him or anyone else for that matter. But I do think I still get bragging rights to being the only subscriber with a “dislike” on their welcome / introduction post.:cool:

Actually, hondafan, it's quite simple to 'dislike' a post by accident. Bet you a beer that's what happened.

I'd like to thank you for your honest self-appraisal. I'd certainly prefer it if this forum were simply a place to exchange ideas, knowledge, and cameraderie. While a certain amount of letting off steam is understandable, I feel that the degree of vitriol aimed at some parties on the alternate forum is tiresome, and even counter-productive.

I'm a member here to learn, relax, and enjoy. Down with drama!

MJC

Super Moderator
I will not go into details but after talking with someone, I think Woodswoman gets a beer. Sorry hondafan, I take back my Congratulations.

soldaze

The brackets that the other guy is "selling" are top notch. He's not making a dime off them based on the quality and shipping costs. I believe he's asking $135.00 shipped. They are solid, thick steel plates - You can install any type of bags you want. They are study as heck. The updated design includes a hole in the center, I believe it was to reduce weight. I have them and I'm grateful for the inexpensive solution. Here is a photo of the first design.
20140802_201754-1.jpg

Last edited:

Steven

The brackets that the other guy is "selling" are top notch. He's not making a dime off them based on the quality and shipping costs. I believe he's asking $135.00 shipped. They are solid, thick steel plates - You can install any type of bags you want. They are study as heck. The updated design includes a hole in the center, I believe it was to reduce weight. I have them and I'm grateful for the inexpensive solution. Here is a photo of the first design.

I have the updated ones and they do work well, but they are very heavy, if that's an issue. I had to get longer bolts to get them mounted. The other thing is that they must be removed when changing the rear tire. With the bags I have, they make it a little difficult to air the tire up, unless I'm sitting on the ground behind the bike. They also make oiling the chain more difficult because the bags block access to the chain except from the rear of the bike. This is easy to get around, I put the bike on the center stand and then put the bike in gear with the engine running, then spray the chain from the rear. This actually works better than spinning the wheel by hand, but then I have to use the rear brake to stop the wheel to get the bike out of gear, I have the DCT.

In retrospect, I would prefer to have bags with quick disconnects to be able to remove them from the bike. When on the road, I found myself empting the bags and bringing the contents into my motel room every night. This isn't a big deal, but it makes for more trips to and from my room.

ofdave

I'm sure they work well. They sure allow a wide variety of bags to be used on the CTX.
I made similar brackets from aluminum. I mounted GIVI brackets to them so my bags could be easily and quickly removed.
At 135 bucks they do a good job.
As far as no money being made from the sale of them I call BS. If there is 50 dollars in labor and material in their manufacturing, I'd be surprised.

Glen e

I have John’s brackets, he was very nice to deal with....and found them to be a perfect fit, they are heavy, and you can drill them yourself using a carbide bit. I used one bit for side just to keep things sharp. Go slow but it works with a corded drill. When attaching, make sure you use big fender washers inside and outside of the bag, to relieve stress on the attachment point. There were a few nicks underneath the powder coat so I use the carbon fiber wrap on them. Stock bolts on bike worked fine. I found perfect fit zippered liner bags on AMZN so I have easy pack/unpack the bag, just grab and go.

The liner bag
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317B7B0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Steven

I have John’s brackets, he was very nice to deal with....and found them to be a perfect fit, they are heavy, and you can drill them yourself using a carbide bit. I used one bit for side just to keep things sharp. Go slow but it works with a corded drill. There were a few nicks underneath the powder coat so I use the carbon fiber wrap on them. Stock bolts on bike worked fine. I found perfect fit zippered liner bags on AMZN so I have easy pack/unpack the bag, just grab and go.

The liner bag
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00317B7B0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have the rear luggage rack and that is why I needed longer bolts.

MJC

Super Moderator
Yep drama, kinda like a back up on the highway, you get to the end of it, look around, only to find mostly due to rubber necking, and now your doing it.