Photobucket embedding work-around

Woodswoman

This isn't really CTX news, but it seems a reasonably suitable place to share this. I developed it to help members on another forum to which I belong, but the steps involved are unchanged since this forum uses the same software in the background.

Hope this helps!

You're probably very familiar with using the links Photobucket has disabled for all but 'premium' users, but has still teasingly left visible to the rest of us.

But with a few extra steps, you can work around this yourself! Here's how.

STEP 1: Within Photobucket, locate the picture you want to embed in your forum post.

Right-click that image, and choose to Open Link in New Tab. (That's how Google Chrome describes it; other browsers may not use this exact language, but should give you the same option.)

STEP 2: From the new tab that opens, copy the picture's URL.

STEP 3: Switch to the Forum, and paste the URL you copied into your post.

Once pasted, click the Advanced button below the post's composition box.

STEP 4: You'll then see a Preview, what your post would look like if you were to finalize it now. Just a hot link, right? Now let's fix it.

STEP 5: Scroll down the page. You'll get to the Advanced post properties, including the URL you pasted, with some important modifications.

See how the Forum software helpfully put some brackets and 'url' controls there for you?

You must edit these a bit, as follows:

(A) Remove the letters 'url' where they appear, and replacing them with the letters 'img'. IMPORTANT: This is case sensitive! Use only lower case letters.

(B) Do not remove any brackets or slashes.

(C) If the link to your Photobucket image contains anything between the .jpg and the brackets, as shown below, simply delete that stuff. (Photobucket seems to throw that stuff in intermittently.)

STEP 6: The edited link should look rather like this.

STEP 7: Now, click Preview Post.

BOOM! If you now see the picture, instead of the hot link, you've got it right.

STEP 8: Post that! And bite me, Photobucket! :rolleyes:

BobWitte

Ah, yes. In my book of geek proverbs says in 1st Bob 1:14 that "What one person sets up, another can rend asunder"

ofdave

fantastic!!
can't wait to do that
have saved this thread link to favorites so I can follow along at any time

put right hand over left shoulder, pat self on back and say ATTAGIRL!

thanks, Woodswoman

ponydrvr

Good information. I have had to do something similar in the past. Since I don't/haven't used Photobucket it isn't a problem for me

Woodswoman

It's a pain doing it this way. But it's pain I am willing to undertake just to stick it to PB's greedy new ownership.

I've had a paid subscription for more than a few years now, and it frosts me that I'd have to pay 6 times more just to get back the conveniences I used to have.

Might switch away from PB eventually, but I have SO many photographs in my bucket that it would be enormously time-consuming to reload them to a different service.

mtvic

Like others, I have several cloud services and I decided to back up ALL my photos. Upload speeds 3.5mbps and had to leave machine on for over 3 days. Glad I did it though. Now everything goes up incrementally. Still back up on external hard drive just in case.