Fair price for valve adjustment?

Glen e

I don’t have time to do a valve adjustment myself. What’s the fair price a dealership should charge for this operation? Nothing else just a valve adjustment. Or better yet , because labor rates vary, how long does this operation take?

mtvic

It's going to depend on their hourly rate, and whether they've done a CTX before. If experienced with bike they can get all the plastic off fast. I've heard prices of $165 to $325. Call around.
You said you don't have the time, I personally don't have the experience or tools, but I do know if you strip the necessary body work off yourself over several evenings if necessary, then take it in, it will be much cheaper. They'll charge close to 2 hours just for the plastics. If you haven't done it, first time is a PIA, take your time, take pics if necessary, then going forward you want mind it as much. The inner covers over tank, sounds like you're going to break the plastic when you first pull it and makes your heart jump. If your faired, you could let them pull that section, doesn't take long, just hair raising.

Estimates will likely be low if they don't consider the plastics as mtvic mentioned. They will also likely remove the radiator so you'll be charged for replacing coolant.

ofdave

s it seems you had a "valve check" done yesterday (7th)
how much did Riva wind up charging?
did they charge for coolant or a gasket?
did they comment on all the plastic removal being a reason for high cost?
did they comment on how many were loose or tight?
did they actually do anything to the valves?

mtvic

Why we wait for "enlightenment" they more than likely did a computer diagnostic and not a teardown or at least I hope they did...