Let's see your large saddlebags

Woodswoman

A couple of bikes ago, I had LeatherLyke saddlebags, which I thought were excellent. They became the yardstick by which I measure all hard saddlebags.

Then -- ah, me! -- for 4 years I had a Victory Cross Roads. Absolutely ginormous integrated hard bags. I could take the old liner bags from my LeatherLykes, stuff 'em full, and they'd drop right into the Victory bags with room to spare.

When I got the CTX700, I tried to find a set of LeatherLykes with a back flat enough to work with the JFC brackets, but no luck. So I acquired these EDGE bags instead, and as you can see from the photo below, they're pretty good-looking. Plus they are sturdy, weather-proof, and locking.

What's not to like, right? Well, they look a heckuva lot bigger than they are. Their sturdiness is due to a substantial tubular metal frame on the inside. I have to under-fill my LeatherLyke liners by about 20%, then lean on them to load them into the EDGE bags.

This being the time of year for day-dreaming, and hubby and I toying with the idea of a 2-week road trip in the spring, I'm thinking about investing in different bags. Leaning in the direction of Pelican or similar cases, but not sure how big I could, or should, go -- or whether I'd be happy with the look.

Another candidate are Tsuyaku Strong bags, which are fiberglass.

Got any photographs of your large saddlebags to share? I'd love to see 'em.

kujawskir

Mine are stock, so pics are everywhere, space is limited, and I'm interested too in what we can do before we break down and add a trailer.
You got some minimal size info from your LeatherLykes? How many liters did you call enough?
I know you did some travelling, was that liter value for 1-up or 2?

Woodswoman

Kujawskir, the LeatherLykes held around 25 liters each, give or take.

That was 1-up. My husband and I each ride our own.

I'm a bit of a hog for packing space, I admit it.

Woodswoman

Like I said in another thread, take a look at all the bags on caseclub.com. … You literally can get any size you want :any depth, any width, any height…And much cheaper than “motorcycle” saddlebags, due to economies of scale......

http://www.caseclub.com/indestructible-cases.htm

Thanks to your tip, Glen, I've been knocking around that site for the last hour or so. The variety is *bewildering*. That's one of the reasons why I was hoping for some photos.

I'm wondering how much space one can/should allow above the muffler. (I've stuck with the OEM "beer can.") And whether it looks very odd if the top of the case is level with the rear seat, as opposed to below it.

Glen e

I agree, I actually bought a set of bags from them, decided to mount up, and didn’t like the size, returned them and got the set that I have now. use this as a reference. Here’s a picture of what I got where it fits and then you can look at the sizing of it and decide whether you need to go up or down. Also take note of the latches, because many of them are different. They also have really good tech-support, the two people I worked with on the phone were excellent. The great thing about JFCs bracket is you drill the face of it, and can decide whether you’re going to want to go high or low. I think level with the rear handholds looks correct. I don’t think you need to go above the exhaust more than an inch or two, just remember if you get huge bags , it will be difficult to do a chain adjustment.
This is the bag in the picture :
http://www.caseclub.com/CC130963ISK.htm

casper

Actually woodswoman, if you have even about an inch above the can you're good. I've held my hand above the muffler and the C's heat shield is really quite good. They usually put a better bottom on the bags for that reason.

Steven

These are Viking bags. I prefer top loading, for my needs. Sadly, they are not 100% waterproof, but close enough. This picture makes them look bigger than they are.

Highway pegs 3 small.jpg

rickster

I'm really interested in this thread. I have the Mutazu LW side bags that hold 25 L and a Bestem 2012 top box that holds (I think) 42L for a combined 92L. While we've done two up tours of 5 days, it would be nice to have more space. Although we're pretty minimalist, our tours go from the low valleys up into the mountains and the elevation/temperature changes require more thermal gear than our existing luggage wants to hold. I have a new Bestem 929 in a box that will help by a few liters, but would like sidebags in the 37L range. As you post your recommendations, capacity would be really helpful. I have the JFC brackets, so I can mount almost anything. This is what my current setup looks like:
CTX700 at Wharton's.jpg

Shanghai Dan

Get a bigger top case. I love my Shad SH50. HUGE - it can hold my XXL Schuberth C3Pro and my wife's L full-face Bilt helmet - AND a jacket at the same time. With that and the factory bags, I have around 108L of hard storage.

Brunnka_CTX

I went with the Hepco and Becker 42 litter Journey bags. When I got them they seemed big enough that I decided to forego a top box for now and install a back rack and sissy bar instead. If I need a little extra I can strap a soft bag on the back rack and the sissy bar gives me a good place to strap my large tripod to. I’m happy with them so far.CTX700N-3.jpg

Woodswoman

I went with the Hepco and Becker 42 litter Journey bags. When I got them they seemed big enough that I decided to forego a top box for now and install a back rack and sissy bar instead. If I need a little extra I can strap a soft bag on the back rack and the sissy bar gives me a good place to strap my large tripod to. I’m happy with them so far.View attachment 915

Sharp setup, Brunnka_CTX! Good-looking ride you've got there.

Woodswoman

I keep eyeballing Caribou Cases. The company takes Pelican or similar quality cases and modifies them with locks, internal elastic retention straps, and lanyards to keep the top from opening too far against the hinges.

http://cariboucases.com/Cases-Only/

The Storm cases are a good size -- 35 liters each -- but they're 16 inches tall, which I think may cause them to stick up pretty far above the side of the bike.

Last edited:

rickster

Rick,

Suggestion... Mount the new 929. Take the existing 2012, and get one more to match, and hang them sideways on the jfc brackets using the Bestem Quick Disconnect plates. That's how John (jfc) has them on his bike, and it looks great. Capacity would be 84L in the saddlebags, plus another 46 in the top case. If you and your wife need more than 130 liters, trade the CTX in on a Mazda Miata.

Viking is going to have to come out with new bags for the 2018 H-D Softails, without the rear shock cutouts. I'd love to see them make the Extra large versions that currently have the shock cutout. My Lamellar bags are OK, but they're about the same size as Rick's bags, and you can see a lot of wasted space between the bottom of the bag and the Muffler.

Dave, I've thought about mounting the Bestem 2012's as sidebags. Dealing with getting in and out of side loading bags each time I need something (multiplied by two when riding with a pillion) isn't very attractive, but doesn't necessarily become a deal breaker. 130 liters would certainly take care of our capacity issue though. Heck, the new 2018 Goldwing carries only 110 liters (down from 150). In any event, there won't be a Miata in my future!! We've been a "one car" family for over 20 years and now that we're a one car/one motorcycle team, I like it like this! Thanks for your thoughtful suggestion.

casper

My biggest question is how do you get an even mount on both sides. You have to drill holes in the jfc brackets. Then square the bags up on there. Plus get at the grab bars so I can get the C up on the centerstand.

Woodswoman

My biggest question is how do you get an even mount on both sides. You have to drill holes in the jfc brackets. Then square the bags up on there. Plus get at the grab bars so I can get the C up on the centerstand.

Hepco & Becker's mounting brackets for the CTX700N?