What mileage and range are you getting?

Glen e

My results so far with 2100 miles on bike, all interstate riding in D @ 60-70 mph
Tank 1 = capacity 3.28 gal (per shop manual)
Refilled at 93.7 mi, took 1.8 gal
= 52 mpg
Max tank would be 170 miles

How ‘bout you?

Last edited:

Glen e

Those numbers are with all bags loaded, prob 60 extra lbs and my fat as weighing in at 255....but I still think I should be higher than 52.....

casper

My average has been around 68.as low as 64, once I hit 79.9, a couple of 71 to 72s. Hitting 80 was about 55 to 60 max speed, in d, flat terrain, non stop. And I was fully loaded. All bags including 7 bottle of wine in the duffel on my pillon. My buddies on the burg 650s were blown away. That bike normally got 54. I usually look for gas at about 150 to 170.

Last edited:

mtvic

While weight and hills affect the mpg, the way the CTX is geared hwy speeds will kill you! So many rpms turning. This bike needs a 7th gear or overdrive since it labeled as a "Tour" bike by Honda. At 70mph I'm in mid 50s mpg. 55-60mph is mid 60 mpg. under 50mph mid 70s mpg. Even in the mtns of NC, hilly, twisty, S gear, but mostly 35-45 mph... almost 80 mpg! (disclaimer... that's on my NM4 which is same engine and tranny)

Glen e

Excellent info.....I’m gonna try 55 for a tank and see what that reads.....I have been doing 60-70 across fla on Rt 72 to 27 -Sarasota to ft Laud.....I’m in no hurry! Totally agree it needs a 7th, I never see less than 3000 rpm when touring.....

Glen e

So it bears out, load up the bike and run 70-80 , and it burns much more, at least for me:

2nd tank
Used 3.173 gal
Went 146.6 miles
= 46.2 mpg

Woodswoman

It's been awhile since I have kept close records, but I average between 62 and 65 MPG. (With 87 octane, 10% ethanol.)

Most of my riding is 60 miles a day to and from work. Probably 50% of that is on state highway where the speed limit is 55 MPH. Another 40% is interstate, where I generally cruise between 70 and 75 MPH. Five percent more is stop-and-go city driving, and the remaining 5% is descending or climbing a curvy mountain pass.

The city driving and mountain pass are handled in Sport mode. The remainder is done in Drive mode.

I have experimented with doing the entire trip in Sport mode. That has its good points -- it follows more closely the way I'd choose to shift if "Flicker" had manual transmission -- but my gas mileage drops by probably 10 miles per gallon. That's still pretty efficient, but I know I can do better, so ....

The best mileage I've ever gotten was in West Virginia, where for 5 days I had the pleasure of filling up with ethanol-free gas, then wearing the chicken strips off my tires on beautiful Allegheny twisties. I rode the crap out of "Flicker," in Sport mode almost the whole time, and averaged 74 MPG. Wooo!

casper

I haven't found an appreciable improvement in mpg if I use the non oxygen vs the regular 87. not enough to warrant the price difference. At speeds above 70 though it drops off rapidly. 200 miles on the interstate at between 75 and 80 got me in the high 50s.still though, not that far off from the claimed 64. But I do think, Glen you should be getting well into the 60s. The combo of winter gas blends plus your speeds may be keeping it down. I wonder if it's running rich. Somethings not right. The warmer Florida temps should have you running much better than what your getting. By October hereto cooler temps really drop the mileage off.

Last edited:

rickster

I agree with Casper that you should be getting better than 52 mpg. I have 36,000 miles on my '14. It has a manual transmission. I live at the base of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California and 90% or more of my riding is in our foothills. I think others would say I ride conservatively. Until the bike had about 12,000 to 15,000 miles on it I was getting mileage in the high 60's and low 70's. Now, however, the bike is thoroughly broken in and I regularly get mileage over 75 mpg in the summer and around 71-72 mpg in the winter. (California has different gas formula requirements for the seasons) The lowest mileage I've ever gotten was driving into a fierce headwind at 70 mph for 170 miles. I got 66 mpg. Interestingly, riding two-up doesn't kill my mileage. Doing tours in our mountains with my wife during our warmer months only drops my mileage to 71-72 mpg. I check my mileage every time I fill up, so these are accurate and consistent numbers.

Glen e

At 55 to 60 today after 120 miles, I got 59 MPG. I do think it’s my style. I’m never steady on the throttle, it’s just always varies in my hand. It is time for a valve check though, I’ll probably take it in for that.

casper

It probably is Glen. But to be honest, you're still off at least 20 percent, maybe 25% off normal. Somethings up I'd think, at least a a combo thing. When it's that much, you need to look into it. At that speed, I'd be getting about 68 in even winter gas and conditions. Maybe as low as the 64 line. How many miles you got on it? All service up to date? Start running a checklist. This bike, like most are almost indestructible. But mechanical stuff does happen.

Btw. You've got a great check view here. Most of us don't have that luxury. But you do. The NM4. I'd run that a full tank. Maybe 2. See what you get. It's the same bike, same rider, same gas, same terrain. That would give you a great point of reference.

Sorry. Mtvic had the NM4. My bad. But still, you're off too much.

Last edited:

Glen e

Just got out of Riva motorsports/pompano and they checked the valves this morning. They are fine. So it’s obviously my fat ass and pumping on the throttle… Oh well, I can deal with it, 87 gas is cheap.

Interesting, the tech said they rarely see any of the CTX’s that absolutely need a valve adjustment less than 15,000 miles…. He also said that if the valves were out of whack, I would not be getting 10 to 15 miles per gallon less, I would be getting substantially less… So it’s definitely me. .....

Glen e

Agreed, Riva says The mid- range bikes are extremely susceptible to throttle pumping that lowers mpg.

ofdave

have read all the comments and agree with others who say something is not right.
I do not believe your riding style can be the sole reason for the poor mileage.
And now the valves are OK.
Something just isn't right. Your math on mileage calculation or a problem with the bike.
Next time you're at the dealer ask about reflashing the ECU. Takes less than a half hour-just hook to their computer
A while back mine dropped from a consistent 65 to 55-56 with no changes to riding style.
I did screw around with the exhaust changing from stock to one kind, then back to stock, then to another, then back to stock, then back to first change, then back to stock. The ECU got confused and the O2 sensor went south.
Reflash and new O2 sensor and back to consistent 65.
If you rode 2 up and uphill at full throttle all the time you might see low 50's. You live in flat FL. You know it's a 6 speed right?
I don't think mid 50 mileage should be considered OK.

Spirit 4

I have maintained a fuel log since I bought the CTX700N in September 2015. I now have a little over 5,000 miles on the bike and have stopped for fuel 36 times. The attached graphic shows the fuel used the average mileage, the reserve miles on average and the calculated mileage of the 3.27 tank of fuel. When I bought the bike fuel and mileage were never part of my equation but since I have become appreciative of the operating economy of the bike! She is a real sipper!

CTX700N Fuel details 2015-2017.jpg

Jimmy H.

mtvic

All well and good, and I applaud you attention to detail, but none of this matters when comparing it to others. You would need a true sampling of people and a larger base than
"1" to determine bikes mpg characteristics. Also, in your own use we don't know what percent of your time is flat roads, max speeds or time at them, acceleration, average speeds, weather conditions, tires or pressure, load weight, age/condition of bike....

As I said this is great for your records and helps you understand your bike and riding habits, but can't be used as a comparison for others unless they try riding next to you and emulate same conditions to test their bike. I've got a Prius, my son bought one, my brother-in-law, my sister's cousin, a couple of friends.... some of us get same mpg others way off.

If I did same for my bike and came up with 78 mpg, you'd think you were doing something wrong, but I could be a mostly commuter in FL, flat roads, and live 3 miles from work on a 35 max speed limit. Use it as a test to see if timing, ECM, Valves, plugs, wires, chain... need more attention than they are getting, or slow down

In my opinion, if a bike is properly maintained, mpg should only be a factor if it drops significantly for no apparent reason, or you know a full tank won't get you to your destination. ;)

Spirit 4

I live in a relatively flat area in Maryland, elevations from 50 to 350 ft and my 5,000 miles was evenly split between highways, generally below 75 mph and under 125 mile round trips and city traffic between 15 & 45 mph. I am also a standard 6 speed driver and seldom go crazy on 0-60 opportunities. My 67 mpg compares favorably with data I observed from others over the past nearly 30 months. While it may not be scientific and it is subject to differing temperature, fuel types, riding style and even to recording error, in no way can it take away the good fuel performance of the CTX!

My two cents!

Jimmy H.

casper

I have maintained a fuel log since I bought the CTX700N in September 2015. I now have a little over 5,000 miles on the bike and have stopped for fuel 36 times. The attached graphic shows the fuel used the average mileage, the reserve miles on average and the calculated mileage of the 3.27 tank of fuel. When I bought the bike fuel and mileage were never part of my equation but since I have become appreciative of the operating economy of the bike! She is a real sipper!

View attachment 907

Jimmy H.

That's almost exactly what I'm getting too, Jimmy. And I've got 9200 on it now. My 2915 faired dct.