Madstad reminder on new "Lowers"

mtvic

For all you brave souls riding in cold weather, just a reminder. I posted a while back and mentioned it on the "other" site but once again, MadStad has a newly designed set of lowers and they do work well. Road in 45 degree weather the other day and they help cut the wind, not to mention bugs and reduced helmet buffeting. Available in different colors and big discount if you let them install locally. If not on their site yet, call them if interested.

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_134027.jpg
    IMG_20171026_134027.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_20171218_150424.jpg
    IMG_20171218_150424.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 481

BobWitte

Sweet lowers!!

Any idea whether they'd fit the N model?

The attachment points piggyback on the frame bolt mounts for the radiator covers. So yes, I'm almost sure they will. I have a set of clears on mine and they do control the air flow over your legs quite well.

mtvic

i added my lights to the other thread. Crees bought on Ebay for $18, spacers and m6 bolts Ace $4, Harness Amazon $9, water proof switch Ebay $1. Painted the spacer and bracket black with left over spray paint.

on the other thread you'll see 2 switches, the other is for a Boss Bluetooth stereo ($60) I added and put speakers under grills, am behind headlight. Tied it all into a relay. Post on other site, if enough interest here I'll post again.

mtvic

Maybe this will help. I went up to MadStad and designed them with them. We went through many sizes and shapes before ending up on this one. We also redesigned the size and shape of their shield to offer a choice for maximum protection. Great guys.

As Bob said, these mount into the 2 screws holding the radiator cover. The nuts are rubber mounted from stock from Honda to a location just off radiator. I've no issues of stress on that location, and in the picture you'll see I added rubber to backing to reduce flex and let it sit up against back of covers for more support and less vibration. I love them!

Shield, lowers, and some hand guards turned the bike into a mini GW for me, and coming off a Victory Tour I wanted all the wind and cold protection I could get. Bob put the new shield on and the hand guards too. my handguards were a saga from Ebay, Bob got his OK from Amazon, but had to do a slight mod. I'll let him explain, maybe we should do a new thread keep things simple to find. All this is up on "other" site.

Attachments

• IMG_20171020_103617.jpg
    IMG_20171020_103617.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_20171005_121237.jpg
    IMG_20171005_121237.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_20171101_163456.jpg
    IMG_20171101_163456.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_20171119_151238.jpg
    IMG_20171119_151238.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 426

casper

Ok. I need a bit of help. I got my lowers in today. They look good.here are my questions:
1. Can the lowers be mounted with the brackets both in front of the blades or behind them?
2. I received 4 long screws, 4 shorts. I assume the shorts hold the blades to the brackets.
3. I received 4 metal washers, 4 shoulder washers, and 4 nylon washers, but no explanation where the metal nor nylon washers go. I assume on the blades.
4. You guys talked about rubber bushings, the white things in the pics. These didn't come with it, so I assume you don't need these now.or should I buy them as well? The instructions said washers but it doesn't say where the nylon ones or the metal ones go.

Thanks for your help.

MJC

Super Moderator
1. Can the lowers be mounted with the brackets both in front of the blades or behind them? YES.
2. I received 4 long screws, 4 shorts. I assume the shorts hold the blades to the brackets. YES
3. I received 4 metal washers, 4 shoulder washers, and 4 nylon washers, but no explanation where the metal nor nylon washers go. I assume on the blades.

You take a bolt, them metal washer, put in bracket (metal washer against bracket). add glass to brackets other side, on the glass side you put rubber/nylon washer, shoulder washer, then the lock nut. Never put a metal washer against plastic/glass.

4. You guys talked about rubber bushings, the white things in the pics. These didn't come with it, so I assume you don't need these now.or should I buy them as well? The instructions said washers but it doesn't say where the nylon ones or the metal ones go.

He added white washers and rubber but you do not have too.

Hope that helps, that is how I would do it, but I do not have those lowers, but made my own.

The above is the mount outside, like the photos.
If you want to mount bracket behind: It would be bolt, metal washer, bracket, glass, rubber washer, metal washer, nut.
My opinion this way would like nicer, but JMO,
mj

Last edited:

mtvic

Basically don't over think it, look at pics posted, as said, you choice of shield in front or behind bracket.

Short screws and washers generally for shield to bracket, as mentioned.

Longer screws go through "spacers" (may be white or black depending on what was shipped), and go where you remove factory screws. Spacer are to fill the gap you'll see where they screws are removed. If you didn't get spacers, they should have come with them, You do need them as there is a "dip" in the plastic cover which they extend to make bracket more flush. If you didn't get spacers (think they are 1/2" ) call them, or buy some at Ace after you call them for size. Very inexpensive and they'll send some of right a way. Mine were white and you can clearly see them in pic, and the washer behind the screw head. Other washers are for the plastic to the bracket.

No bushings to worry about, those are in the factory frame. Did suggest adding rubber as shown in picture but optional, and nothing to do with bushings.

casper

Thank you so much, both of you for this. Especially the metal washers on the blades. Now I get it. I'll gall them for the rubber washers into the radiator cover. Or I'll go buy four black ones. Whatever. The instructions left something to be desired only because of the different materials. In my case, I want the brackets behind. Only the bolts exposed to the front. Again. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
No need to thank me, I only posted because I assumed you where like me, (a kid with a new toy) and wanted to install them as soon as you got them. lol.
mtvic, is the guy to thank, he did all the work, testing etc. And for that I thank him too. Great way to install lowers.

mj

casper

I won't be installing them anytime soon. We've got 18" of snow on the ground, about 39 degrees at best. I figure another 2 months and I can start getting things together. The bike is just on the tender, under its cover hibernating.

I'm like professor. Storing up stuff to add. Shanghai Dan's oiler block, the lowers and the driving lights. I was thinking of seriously looking at the new goldwing, but the C does everything I need it to do, and I've added so much to it for fun that realistically there's no point. My wife has the can am rt, the C is perfect for me, and it's paid for. The GW would be almost 4 times more than what I've got into the C and that would be just plain silly to do that.

MJC

Super Moderator
I hear ya, I am in the Storing Up Stuff To Add Club too. Some things I ordered last winter and still did not install yet. If it goes from cold to warm fast, then the install days turn into riding days..lol.

My list this year (to install) is so long that, first warm day, and I am going to take the bike apart, do all the maintenance, install all the new parts/mods then put the bike back together. Then ride baby ride........ at least that is the plan. lol.

Mcdaddy70

FYI. Just contacted madstad re: lowers, and they said they weren't sure they were going to continue the ctx700 lowers. am undecided if I would get them...but havent heard back yet re: availability nor pricing...

mtvic

That would be a shame. They manufacturer them as ordered so no cost for inventory, so wonder why...

Mcdaddy70

not sure why...the guy just said he'd have to check. Appeared it might be under discussion. Will post if I hear back

BobWitte

On my way back Tuesday from a partial ride with @DevilsFan Dan and @MTVIC Mike, I stopped by MadStad and spoke with the owner (Mark) about the lowers. Not only will they continue with the existing fairing version, they have just developed one for the naked models as well. He was hoping to have both up on the site in the next week or so. Pricing not yet set, but based upon what I was charged, I'd guess a pair will go for under $100 a set.

casper

That's great news. I'm so looking forward to putting mine on. Still can't get the bike out from under the carport due to an ice sheet. Still too much roof snow run off. But it's now consistently in the 40s, upper 20s now at night. As soon as the roof snow gets off the glacier will evaporate pretty quick.