Close to pulling the trigger

syspig

Greetings, folks.

Long-time rider, looking for my wife's first street bike. I've a friend who has the NC700X w/DCT, and he loves it - and my wife is very intrigued with the lack of shifting. So am I, quite frankly...

Anyway, she's capable of shifting, having learned on and ridden small trail bikes - but when it comes to the street, she's somewhat apprehensive. The greater risks give her pause, and she's thinking the lack of clutch/shifting might simplify the experience enough so she can concentrate on other things...specifically, awareness of everything around her. Don't need to tell any of you experienced riders, but confidence is a beginner's best friend, and anything that can help with that is welcome.

Problem with the NC700X is seat height. She could likely adjust with time, but she's far more comfortable having both feet planted. Until yesterday I didn't even know the CTX existed...but upon visiting the local dealer to look into small trail bikes and/or something like the Rebel 300, he pointed me towards a 2014 CTX700 w/DCT he'd taken in trade from a local guy. Looks mint, super low miles, and based on a quick search for local bikes - the price is pretty reasonable. I've been reading up on them since last night, and suffice to say...I'm intrigued.

Just a couple of questions for now, as I'm finding most everything I need to know here and elsewhere. Mainly, I'm curious if there's any significant difference between the 2014 and newer models. Also - is it safe to assume the hard bags on this bike are OEM? Dealer mentioned everything was keyed alike, so I'm guessing they are.

Shanghai Dan

No big changes since 2014.

The bags are OEM, but there are other aftermarket units that you could buy.

The locks on the OEM bags can be keyed to match your ignition key - it's a relatively simple process to do (you do it yourself, or pay the dealer $50 to do them - I'd take the 15 minutes of my time). One key to rule them all!

randy1149

The bike looks great. The only change from the 2014 is the seat. In 2015 they changed the seat to make the rider closer to the foot pegs.

This CTX700 is the easiest bike I've ever owned going back 40 years and many motorcycles. I think your wife will love this bike with the DCT. After riding it a while she'll find the DCT has better control and options than a manual.

Search around here for lots of options like, floor board, top boxes and better windshields to make the bike for you.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
The bags look like Honda, the brackets holding them on look like aftermarket (there is a guy on the other forum- ctx700forum who makes and sells them). the windshield looks better then factory and maybe you could look for a brand name on it. Overall looks in great shape, just make sure the dealer changes all the fluids before you buy it. Honda says change all every 2 years, so brake, front and rear, coolant, oil, oil filter, there is also a filter for the DCT which should be changed with the oil. If the bike has 8000 miles or more have then check/adjust the valves. After that just enjoy the ride.

Like many others, I have been riding for a long time and the ctx700 dct is one of the best bikes I have ever owned. Most people like me, find the ctx700 and never even know that it existed, once you get on and ride it you can not believe just how good the dct is and how well the bike handles just about everything. It really is a good bike and fun to ride.

About the only bad thing about the DCT is that Honda only makes a CTX700 (600 something cc) and the new 1800 Goldwing, there is nothing between them, a 1100 would have been nice. Honda did make a CTX1300 for one year (2014) but never did it have the DCT trans.

Shanghai Dan

About the only bad thing about the DCT is that Honda only makes a CTX700 (600 something cc) and the new 1800 Goldwing, there is nothing between them, a 1100 would have been nice. Honda did make a CTX1300 for one year (2014) but never did it have the DCT trans.
There is the Africa Twin @ 998cc (parallel twin) and the VFR1200X @ 1237cc (V4 configuration). Both of those have DCT transmissions. I would think Honda needs to consider a DCT on a 500 or 300 - that would be a perfect "up ride" from a scooter, but may cannibalize Silverwing (582cc) sales.

ofdave

as eMJay said, the bag mounts do not appear to be OEM
I would want to know why factory brackets weren't used.
and the right turn signal is cattywhompus-wonder what that's about?
If the OP would show his location, maybe a member here is close and would go take a look at it for him.

Woodswoman

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say those are not the OEM saddlebags for the CTX700. However, they look nice!

FWIW, I'll also go out on a limb and say that your wife may very well love the CTX700, Syspig. She's 100% right that not having to sweat the shifting relieves the mind of a certain burden. More brain cells free to study the road ahead. And the CTX700's handling is very well-mannered, yet it's got the chutzpah to ride the interstate without breaking a sweat.

Ask us more questions, and we'll try to answer them.

And let us know what you two decide to do.

syspig

Thanks much for all the feedback, folks. I'll be headed down there tomorrow and likely making a decision.

...and the right turn signal is cattywhompus-wonder what that's about?

Hmmm...I don't recall seeing that in person, and am not sure I see what you mean in the pic. What looks off?

RE the bags/bracket - here's another view that might show things better.

randy1149

The bags and mounts are OEM. After market mounts don't have the easy key release feature. Open the lock on a bag and it should just pull right off.

FWIW, the new Cycle World arrived yesterday with a big article on the new Gold Wing, including some track time at Twin Ring Motegi circuit. The test rider commented how the DCT in Sport mode let him pay more attention to his lines/cornering at a track he'd never ridden before since he didn't have to deal with trying to get the most out of the engine.

You get 100% of your attention to spend when riding. If you can take 10-20% of that amount away from shifting/clutching/matching RPM you can put it towards riding/watching for lunatics trying to kill you.

Woodswoman

Now that I see them from a different angle, I see they're definitely the OEM bags. My bad.

They look really good with the gloss black panel on them. Almost makes me wishful. :)

syspig

Deal is done. Now, to find somewhere to stash it until Christmas morning. Can't exactly wrap it up and put it under the tree for her right now.

Bags are OEM. 100% pristine...looks as new. Unexpected, because it basically is.

I was told last week it had very low miles, but since I wasn't really in the market for one - I didn't ask for details. Checked it out before making the deal, and it has...240 miles. Nope - not a misprint. It was bought by an older gentleman and he immediately decided it wouldn't work for him.

She's gonna dig it. :cool:

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
Good deal, nice bike, she will love it! Merry Christmas! I hope you live in a area where she can ride it, once she see's it..........

MJC

Super Moderator
There is the Africa Twin @ 998cc (parallel twin) and the VFR1200X @ 1237cc (V4 configuration). Both of those have DCT transmissions. I would think Honda needs to consider a DCT on a 500 or 300 - that would be a perfect "up ride" from a scooter, but may cannibalize Silverwing (582cc) sales.

Yep, I was talking about the CTX line of bikes, with the low seat height. Not that the new goldwing is in the CTX line. Guess I do not know what I am talking about....LOL. I look at my CTX700 and think of it has a little goldwing....

ofdave

good score!

given the age even with low miles, I suggest an oil change before she starts putting miles on it

can you put some plants all around it and call it a flower bed? Maybe that'll hide it till Christmas

oh and remember whose bike it is-not yours, you got it for her, so stay off!

syspig

By now, your wife has this black beauty, and I hope that she's thrilled.

Happy - and surprised. Kept it under covers until Christmas morning.

With a bit of snow on the ground, she's been limited to slow 60' rolls across the pole barn floor. Still, she's stoked.

db2.jpg