Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Doesn't take long at all too get use to it. Main rules to remember on a DCT are:

1) DON'T blip throttle - particularly when stopped! Your always engaged.
    2) Put it in Neutral when backing up
    3) Put it in Neutral when stopping for a while (such as to talk) with engine on cause you can forget your in gear!
    4) Put it in Neutral before turning engine off

So did you buy it???
    2014 CTX 700 dct
    2016 NM4

2. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    Then another B I G thing is that I've never missed a shift and a downshift is always just a push button away.

4. Likes DaddyDave liked this post
    I’m a bit ambivalent to the DCT. I am so used to being completely disengaged at a stop , a few times I’ve lurched forward as I’ve touched the throttle. I’m gonna have to learn to use the neutral setting more to protect myself. It’s hard to “unlearn” after 40 years with a clutch. My bike is 100% at interstate, no around town stuff, so therefore that advantage of the DCT in town is lost on me. I may go back to the new NX750 if that is made with a standard transmission in a few years.....
    Last edited by Glen e; 01-16-2018 at 07:13 PM.
    Glen
    2016 CTX DCT
    2015 PCX 150
    2018 HR-V

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    I kinda, sometimes, a little bit, regret I didn't hold out for the fairing model. The extra wind protection would have been nice. And it's been a nuisance having to buy things for my naked model that are already under the 'tupperware' of the fairing model, such as the internal supports for the rear luggage rack.

However, from the first day I saw pictures of it, I've disliked the "shark nose" appearance of the fairing. Just not to my taste.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

Quote Originally Posted by MacMoto View Post
    I currently ride a Suzuki DR650. I am looking to switch to a street only bike for comfort. I love my DR but there are not a lot of off road opportunities in South East Texas. I test drove a CTX700 this weekend and loved the comfort of the ride. I was headed to the dealer to test ride a gsxs750 (street fighter style) but the CTX caught my eye so I have been reading professional and owner reviews for 2 days. The one review that stuck with me stated that the low rev limit could be an issue when at highway speed and attempting a pass. My DR is no speed demon (tops out around 95 with my big butt) and I'm not looking for one. I have an appointment Tuesday to buy the CTX, but have a case of cold feet.

All that said to ask what are the pros and cons of this bike?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    MacMoto, you didn't say whether you tested the manual or DCT version of the CTX. Im guessing it's the manual, since you've been doing some off roading. Comfort, handling, and gas mileage are the strong suits for the CTX. I am a member of the CTX owners who love the automatic DCT transmission. As you can see, my butt is quite ample as well, but the CTX hauls it around quite well.

Good luck with your decision.

By the way, Woodswoman, I think the naked model is much more attracive also. The fairing to me looks too much like my car's dashboard. I like the feel of the motorcycle and a little breeze.
    Last edited by Professor*76; 01-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Professor

Current ride: 2015 Honda CTX700N DCT ABS
    Mods:
    Puig Universal Touring windscreen
    Custom Taylor 33 reflective rim tape
    Corbin standard seat
    Mutazu rear rack assembly
    Effem Tee closet rod mod
    Dream Apparel throw over saddle bags and Nomad trunk bag

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post
    I kinda, sometimes, a little bit, regret I didn't hold out for the fairing model. The extra wind protection would have been nice. And it's been a nuisance having to buy things for my naked model that are already under the 'tupperware' of the fairing model, such as the internal supports for the rear luggage rack.

However, from the first day I saw pictures of it, I've disliked the "shark nose" appearance of the fairing. Just not to my taste.
    First time you try to take it apart you'd wish you had the named model.

I regret not going naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodswoman View Post

I thought about those things myself.
    I did grump about having to buy inner supports when I added bags.
    But after the first valve check I realized naked is good. I can't imagine going through all the grief to get the plastic off, bad enough as it was without it even more.
    And I must be a rare one but I didn't mind feeling a little wind even behind the aftermarket windshield.
    I do like the idea of lowers though.
    '14N
    keep your word, no excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
    I regret not going naked.
    you can, but no pics please
    '14N
    keep your word, no excuses

Northern Catskill Mountains, upstate New York
    Quote Originally Posted by ofdave View Post
    I do like the idea of lowers though.
    They help a lot.

I have installed the Fehling tip-over bars. And then I took an old set of Sage Brush Designs bar chaps from a prior bike and I cut them down to fit the Fehling bars. (I'll see if I can fish up a picture to share.) My intention was to keep my feet drier when riding in the rain.

But it turns out that they help immensely with wind management, especially at highway speeds -- so much so that I wish to figure out a way to install some hard plastic permanently inside the bars. I expect I'll be giving up some gas mileage, but so be it.

I'm confident that the lowers from MadStad would have a similar effect, and I'd be buying a set right now if I hadn't already gone the route of the Fehling bars.
    Last edited by Woodswoman; 01-17-2018 at 08:40 AM.
    2014 Honda CTX700ND, "Flicker"
    ------------------------------------------------
    Former rides
    Cruisers: Victory Cross Roads, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, Suzuki Boulevard C50, Suzuki Marauder 800
    Scooters: Suzuki Burgman 650, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Elite 80

And me, I liked the look of the fairing right from the get go. Just simply different tastes. I also am ordering the lowers just to see.

13. Likes Woodswoman liked this post