Horn replacement?

rickster

I'm looking for a (much) louder horn for my CTX. Have any of you replaced yours? Ideally, this would be plug and play without the need for wiring a relay and something that would fit where the existing horn is now. Any ideas?

randy1149

I added another horn, a Fiamm Freeway Blaster #72112 Fiamm Horn. The Fiamm horn fits perfectly where the OEM horn is with no additional hardware or wiring.

Reinstalled the OEM horn behind the left foot peg using the Fiamm mounting bars, with black 16 awg. wires tapped into existing horn wiring, all done with crimp connectors. The install is straight forward with no special modifications. I did not need to increase the #6 fuse as it does not blow with the horns blowing and all the lights on.

The sound is not pretty but it's much louder.

Both ebay and Amazon carry the Flamm horn.

Attachments

• Fiamm.jpg
    Fiamm.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

rickster

Thanks Randy and Steven... Yeah....eeek...eeek...that's what the guy in the big pick-em-up truck didn't hear the other day as he changed into my lane. Randy, I searched for "replace horn or horn replacement" and didn't find your earlier post. I later searched for "horn" and there it was. Thanks for taking the time and for being so gracious as to give the info to me. So, you installed the new Fiamm horn AND the OEM one without relays or fuses and you just spliced into the original wiring? Thanks again!!
rick

Last edited:

randy1149

rickster, no relays or fuse changes, original wiring to the Fiamm, with the OEM horn spliced into it. If you look you'll see I bent the OEM a little to get it so it wasn't directly over the catalytic. Going on to it's 3rd year trouble free.

rickster

rickster, no relays or fuse changes, original wiring to the Fiamm, with the OEM horn spliced into it. If you look you'll see I bent the OEM a little to get it so it wasn't directly over the catalytic. Going on to it's 3rd year trouble free.

Thanks Randy...the Fiamm 72112 will be here on Wednesday. Thank you for all of your help!
rick

burdicda

I like my Hella Super Tone Horn Set B133 $39.24 Amazon delivered
121db using same as original fuse, no relays, and ear-bleeding loud.

SuperTone1.jpg

Attachments

• SuperTone2.jpg
    SuperTone2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 196

rickster

Thanks to all for your advice... I installed the Fiamm horn this morning and think that it will be effective. It's hard to judge unless you use a db meter, but my impression is that the Fiamm is a lot louder than the OEM horn. The Fiamm went into the same location as the stock horn and looks really good there. I removed the lower cowl so as to get to the horn more easily, then removed the spade clips from the stock unit and unbolted the horn to remove. I reversed the process to install the horn...the Fiamm bolts right onto the bracket that the stock unit uses and the existing spade clips are the right size. The horn is a little tighter fit with the lower cowl so I reinstalled it carefully. Done. I'm slow. 15 minutes.

Other than what I perceive to be louder volume, the Fiamm has an authoritative sound unlike what Steven referred to as the "eeek, eeek, eeek" sound of the original. I think it will do fine on the rare occasion that I use it. Again, my thanks.

Miamoto

I know, this is an old thread, but does someone knows, how much decibel the Fiamm 72112 produce?
Here in Germany, we have a restriction of 105 decibel and it is often controlled by the police.
TIA

Woodswoman

Miamoto, I don't know from personal experience, but the FIAMM web site claims that the model 72112 produces 133 decibels at a distance of 4 inches / 10.16 centimeters.

Do you know at what distance from the horn your police measure the horn's volume?

Vulcan Mediator

It's not plug and play, but I have heard great things about the Dinali Sound Bomb horn.

Here is a link to Twisted Throttle review. Tested at over 120 db at 3 feet.

I heard someone say they were on a multi lane highway and some joker in a huge pick-up started creeping into his lane. A solid blast on the horn and he thought he was going to have to pick the guy up off the median, 3 lanes away...

orhiker

I also installed the Screaming Banshee, and it's worth adding no matter what horn you choose - it will pulse the horn AND the high beams on your headlights. Anything to stand out, because you're more vulnerable on a bike.