Riding the MS5000 Challenge

Woodswoman

Several years ago, my best friend was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. I didn't really understand what that meant when she told me what was wrong. But in the years since then, I've watched helplessly while this disease silently, slowly eats away at her strength, eyesight, and resistance, leaving in its wake chronic pain.

I wanted. To. Do. SOMETHING.

So, borrowing an idea from a motorcyclist (and MS sufferer) who goes by the rider name LongHaulPaul, I undertook the MS5000 Challenge, to benefit the National Multiple Sclerosis Society.

The MS5000 Challenge ran for 50 days, beginning April 1 and running through May 20. Points were awarded during the Challenge period as follows:

For every mile I rode my motorcycle, I earned 1 point. For every dollar I raised, I earned 10 points. A minimum of 1,000 points (1,000 miles) had to be earned on my motorcycle, and a minimum of 1,000 points ($100) must have been earned from donations. To be a finisher, I needed to accumulate at least 5,000 points before the end of the 20th of May.

On April 1, I snapped a photo of Flicker's odometer ...

... but that was about all I could do, thanks to this:

But eventually the snow melted, and we had enough rain to somewhat diminish the salt on the roads, so I began to ride.

Unlike some people who undertook the Challenge, I didn't really take any extraordinary trips in order to meet my mileage goal. Instead, I simply rode more rather than taking the car in the early Spring. On the weekends my hubby and I took more frequent rides through the mountains ...

... but mostly I simply rode my bike to work.

A *lot*.

And I advertised the fund-raiser when I was parked at the office.

My daily commute is 60 miles round trip. So to bulk it out, I often took longer and more scenic routes home. Sometimes I stopped for some snapshots.

It has not been a great spring for riding in these parts. It's been very cold, and unusually wet. One morning when I saddled up and headed to work, was 30 degrees. Here's my goofy mug that morning, stung from the cold.

But, hey, we're talking Spring in upstate New York! Three days later, it was 91 when I met up with my best friend, and we snapped a selfie together.

Again and again, I simply kept riding, until, on May 17th ...

I'd reached my goal!!

At the end of the day on May 20th, my final tally was 1,276 miles.

And by reaching out to friends, family and coworkers, I also raised a humbling and amazing amount for the National MS Society.

Between riding and raising, I earned 16,026 points -- far beyond my goal of merely being counted a "finisher."

I had some fun doing this, but thanks to the weather, it definitely was a challenge. I pushed myself to ride at times and in conditions when I'd frankly have preferred to take the car. The experience was very good for my confidence in myself as a rider and in my amazing CTX700. Man, I love this bike!

But the best part for me had to be the happiness that all of the support gave to my best friend. Multiple sclerosis is such a silent disease; so many people have said to my girlfriend, "You look fine to me," while she suffers from increasing pain, numbness, loss of vision and neurological impairment. The MS5000 Challenge, together with the MS Walk in which we participated on May 21st, was a way for friends and family to acknowledge that, yes, the disease is real. And we stand with her in fighting it.

Here's my favorite photo from the MS Walk on May 21st. My BFF, with her son. Walking while she can, for others who cannot. Fighting every day.

MJC

Super Moderator
Good for you, and thank you for helping. Next year please let me know about this and hopefully I can do it too.

rickster

I'm so impressed with what you have done! While your efforts will aid the entire MS community, the support you have shown to a friend is heartwarming.

Woodswoman

I know perfectly well that 1,276 miles isn't much. Geez, there were many people who set a goal to ride 5,000 miles in the Challenge period, and a fair number crushed it with 10,000-plus.

But these things are relative. Truthfully, I only ride an average of 2,500 miles annually; such is life when you're a biker who lives in ski country.

So having ridden 50% of my annual total of miles in just 50 days is, for me, really pretty good!

The cause means a lot. There are millions nationwide who struggle with MS, and need help with so many practical things -- paying for medications, handicapped ramps for their homes, the list goes on. Of course there is a lot of research being done to understand what causes MS and to cure it, but there's a great need for help with day-to-day life.

That's what our fundraising went toward, as my best friend wished.

Woodswoman

Funny that this thread should get bumped today.

On our way home yesterday from the Volusia Riders' annual summer rally, held this year in Vermont, hubby Mike and I stopped to have brunch at the Country View Diner, on Route 7 in Brunswick (near Troy, New York).

Saw a very, very distinctive motorcycle pull into the parking lot ...

... and so I got to meet Paul Pelland, a/k/a Long Haul Paul -- lecturer, Iron Butt motorcyclist extraordinaire, and founder of the MS5000 Challenge!!!

I introduced myself to Paul and his wife Elin, and they actually remembered that I had ridden in the Challenge. I was amazed.

They were very nice, and it made my day to meet them.

This would not have happened if I'd succeeded in talking Mike into letting me sleep another hour yesterday. So I guess I have to forgive him. LOL!

Last edited: