Dunlop Roadsmart III Motorcycle Tires?

MJC

Super Moderator
Anyone try out the Dunlop Roadsmart III Motorcycle Tires? Local shop has the rear for $139 and front for $129.

I have the stock Metzler tires on my 2014 ctx700 dct now. I think they are OK but wear too fast for me.

After researching, (thanks to the forums in-put) I was going to go with the MICHELIN Pilot Road 4's but rear is $175 and front is 139. Good prices for them, but My friend has them on a Honda VFR800A and his front tire is starting to cup. And they seem pricey to me. Great reviews on them here on the forum. Nothing bad about the PR4's, just looking for review from a CTX700 owner who has the Roadsmart III's.

On Dunlops website they had testing done and said they where better then the PR4's, and the bike magazines seem to agree. Online reviews seem to agree also.
Emailed Dunlop and they said, they should be great on the CTX700, which they say they tested on a CTX700, and they did send me a photo of a CTX700 with the roadsmart III's going around a track. Did not really help me.

Please do not tell me about the PR4's or other brand, I agree that the PR4's reviews are good, and there are other brands that are good too. Not knocking any tire or brand. Just looking for info on the Dunlop Roadsmart III tires.

ofdave

Have them on mine.
Front has about 500 and the rear near 5000-shows minimal wear.
I am not a Michelin fan anymore. The fronts would cup after 5-6000 mi. on a two other bikes I had them on.
Same is happening to a couple other guys I know who run the Road 4's.
Highly recommend the Road Smart-good value for a premium tire, in my opinion.

MJC

Super Moderator
ofdave, thanks for the info. I just ordered the rear tire, have to wait on the front. What front tire did you have til you replace yours? I have stock Metzler (in front) and hope it will be OK with the new Dunlap in the rear. funds are low right now and front seems ok for 2K more miles or so.

So next week I will bring my rear rim over to the shop and get the Dunlap mounted then put it on my bike and will report what I think. I was worried about using the RP4's because of the cost and front tire cupping. Now I have a cheaper opp and have you to report on the front tire, (if it cups) before I buy! lol.

On the stock Metzlers' they where Ok on grip, but wear out way to fast for me. I think I have 6K on this set, which is the 2nd set on my bike. The 1st set was just replaced by the 1st owner, when I went to pick up the bike, he said he replaced them because the rear looked warn, the front was OK but he replaces tires in sets. Good for me I guess. So maybe the stock front will go to 8K and jive me time to save some cash. Plus the $45 savings over buying the RP4's.

I put Michelin MCII's on my sons bike (Vulcan) in the front and it is very good to date, it replaced a Dunlap that had dry rotted, at only 3 years old. He is ready for a rear tire soon to and we will see if he goes for the MCII or maybe a Dunlap. anyway that was the only time I used Michelin brand even thou they are cruiser tires and not for the CTX700.

Well hoping that the Roadsmart III's last longer then the PR4's and the stock Metzler's!

ofdave

I had Shinkos prior to the Dunlop.
Not bad and really inexpensive but a little harder ride and not as long lasting.
Got a nail in the front so I can't say how long it would have lasted.
Very happy with the Dunlops so far.

randy1149

Gents, I agree with your decisions not to go with the PR4. My rear Bridgestone T30 wore out at 10K miles and an original replacement was $124 and a PR4 was $175, that's 40% difference. I'd have to get 14K miles to break $$$ even going with the PR4. So I stuck with the Bridgestone. My original front T30 is still running. Staying with the same brand also reduces any surprises with handling problems between brand nuances.

I'm sure you're well all aware of the things involved in tire wear comparison that is never put into the equation. Riding in the winter here in the NE at 40° should get better mileage than folks in Florida at 80°. Add in tire pressures, riding style, weight we carry all make mileage comparison not true apples to apples.

MJC

Super Moderator
Yes I agree randy1149, Bridgestones are a good tire at a fair price. When I had my Nomad, it came with Bridgestones stock and I would get 9 to 12K on the set, everyone would change to something (whatever brand). Then they had front end wobbles, tires that would sing etc. So staying with the same brand helped me from having problems.

I never paid a lot for the Bridgestones. I would get them off Ebay, sometimes they where removed from new bikes and replaced with some other brand when people picked up there bikes new from the dealerships. I would pay maybe (tops) $100 a set, mailed to me. After 8 sets and just about 100K I switched to Avons (set), I paid $275 for them. They where said to be good over tar snakes, which was being used a lot on the roads I ride. Yes they where good tires, even over tar snakes. I sold the bike before I could see how long they would last but with 5000 +/- miles they looked new. I did get to see why people would change from Bridgestones on a Nomad, and for me if they (the Avons) did not last 15K I would have gone back to the stones.

Prices for me, have a lot to do with buying tires, I try to get the best I can afford. For the CTX I think the stock tires (both brands) are fine. I did look into Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire 160/60-17, it was $140. The stock brands of the exact tire where not in stock and I was told there where better models being offered by both company's. I do not know about that, but was going to go with the PR4's until I found out the price.

I should note that me the bike and the extras I did add put a lot of weight on my CTX, I would say close to the limit, and that is why I think my stock tires do not last that long. I think people should think about that too when getting tires.

just my 2 cents, from the fat guy with a lot of extras on his bike.....the guy enjoying the ride!

Woodswoman

I'll be interested to hear what you think about the Dunlops, MJC. I'll likely be shopping for new sneakers for Flicker by the end of this riding season.

randy1149

Prices for me, have a lot to do with buying tires, I try to get the best I can afford. For the CTX I think the stock tires (both brands) are fine. I did look into Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 Sport Touring Radial Rear Tire 160/60-17, it was $140. The stock brands of the exact tire where not in stock and I was told there where better models being offered by both company's. I do not know about that, but was going to go with the PR4's until I found out the price.

Dennis Kirk is selling the Bridgestone T30 160/60 ZR17 (which is an upgrade to the BT-023) for $124.88. And free shipping. The BT-023 is $103.88 with free shipping.

Steven

I just thought I'd throw this in... I have almost 10k Mike's on the PR4's and they are still in decent shape with no cupping. I figure another 4k miles before they need to be replaced. The OEM tires that came with the bike lasted 8k Miles and we're cupping.

MJC

Super Moderator
Update, This week the Dunlop Roadsmart III tire (rear) was delivered. I ended up paying $136. The shop I was going to get the tire from ended up selling the last one (for $139) so he would have had to order it. The guy told me to just ordered it online, this way it would be delivered faster. If he ordered it I would have to wait longer, because he gets his tires delivered in bulk. So I saved $3 more, and got the tire faster.

I used www.rockymountainatvmc.com online which I have been using for years. I also ordered a Michelin MCII rear for my sons' bike. They have something where the more you buy the less you pay, so when I am ready for the front (dunlop roadsmart iii) it will cost me $119. sale price there was $129. I have to wait so if I can get my friend who also needs tires to order a set using my account number, I will get $20 off when I get my front tire ($99 total), so we will see.

When I get both tires on the bike, I will report how they are, a long with ofdave, the rest of the forum should have a good idea of the Dunlap Roadsmart III's.

In searching for info on tires for the ctx700:
Stock Bridgstones (BT-023) seem to be good value for price, handling, and avg lasting. price for set $193.
Upgrade Bridgstones (T-30) seem to be better value for price, (10 to $15 cheaper then Dunlap roadsmart III per tire) at $235 a set. Handling, very good, no report on how long they last. but said to last longer then stock.
Metzler tires, Metzeler Roadtec Z8 seem to be OK value for price, $238 for set, have same handling and last has long has stock Bridgstones. For the price you can upgrade to the Bridgstones T-30's and have a better handling and longer lasting tire for about the same price.
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4's, said to be the best tire, longest lasting, great handling. At $318 a set, highest priced. With reports for the front tire cupping around 6K miles, off my list.
Dunlop Roadsmart III's, at $260 a set, not cheap ($25 more then Bridgstones T-30), said to have great handling, long lasting, better then stock (Bridgstones & Metzler's) not much on reports of CTX700 owners having them on that bike. But Dunlap is said to have tested then on a CTX700 and the rear tire lasted 12K and front over 19K, which is high mileage for any tire. What they also said was not only lasts longer, but preforms at higher levels than the competition throughout it’s lifetime. So they maybe a better tire then the Bridgstones T-30 if this plays out.

In the end I went with the Roadsmart III's, which I got for about the same price has the T-30's (next time I may try them), both said to be very good tires.
Stock tires, Bridgstones (BT-023) or Metzlers, I would pick the BT-023's at about $45 cheaper just a better value.
MICHELIN Pilot Road 4's, at those prices and reports of cupping, not going to try them. Note here, that others do love these tires and report no cupping and lasting over 14K.

After I get the set on the bike and put 5K miles I will know if the III's are for me, if not I will start saving for the T-30's. ether way I have to get out a ride so off I go....someone has too! lol.

Last edited:

MJC

Super Moderator
UPDATE, So after 500 miles on the Dunlap Roadsmart III's, I can tell you that the day they where put on, I rode out of the place onto a main street with 55MPH speed limit. Before pulling out I was thinking, take a e-z...hope no one is going to come up behind me going like a bat outta hell. I look down and I am going 70MPH. Nice tires!

I would think that any new tires should feel better then the old. But I could tell right off that the bike will lay side to side much more and without a fight, holds a line very nice, and rides smooth. On straight roads, over cracks, tar snakes, wet dry, the bike is rock solid. Bends, turns, high speed or parking lot, dry or wet handles very nice.

I had a new shop do the install, and he said the tires went on fine and balanced well. He charged me $75 for the rear and $50 for the front, all I did was bring the bike and tires, he even did the NY state inspection for free!

So I will update after a few more miles but at 500, all is good so far. I would say for the price 139 rear and 129 front they are a good deal. ( I did pay less but that is the going online price) If they last longer then may be a great deal.

Old tires, where Metzeler Roadtec Z8 (2nd set) they had just about 5K miles on both of them. Rear has squared off, front I thought was OK but after putting the new rear on and looking at the new front (not installed) next to the old, you could see that the tire was squared off and cupped in spots, Shop guy was like: not worth trying to push it for more miles, so he replaced both for a matched set. If I am lucky maybe this new front will last longer and I can just replace the rear (times two) before getting a 2nd new front.

Will post back when the miles start adding up.............

Steven

My bike came with the Roadtec Z8 and they were cupping like crazy and were gone at 8k miles. The PR4's have 10k miles on them and still look good, with no cupping. Keep us informed about the Dunlaps.

rickster

I'm running PR4's too. I'm on my second set and both have had cupped front tires after about 5,000 miles. Almost all of my mileage is done on mountain roads and a mechanic who looked at the tires told me that for someone riding in the twisties all of the time that this was normal wear. That seemed to be confirmed in the section of this article called "Cupping". (http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html) According to this article, cupping, while normal, is made worse by complex tread patterns and softer tire material. On my last set of PR 4's, the cupping was pretty noticeable at 5-6K, but seemed to get better. I got over 12,000 miles on that tire before replacement due to an upcoming tour, but still had between 2 and 3 K left on it. So, if I were to switch to Dunlop Roadsmart III's, which have a more simple tread pattern...one without the small sipes to channel water I wonder if that would make the cupping better.

MJC

Super Moderator
"....So, if I were to switch to Dunlop Roadsmart III's, which have a more simple tread pattern...one without the small sipes to channel water I wonder if that would make the cupping better."....
The Dunlap Roadsmart III's have the small sipes in the front tire but not the back (i think). I have only 1000 miles now so too early to tell. I did ride in the rain for about 3 hours coming home from a long ride. The tires handle better in the rain then on the dry. The rain was so hard that I could not see at times and the bike was planted the hole way. After the rain pasted and the road where just wet, tires still hold the road great. Time will tell but so far every happy.

rickster

Thanks mjc... I only ride in the rain when caught out in it...like a mountain thunderstorm. So, wet weather performance isn't a big deal for me...I just slow down when it's wet. But, I don't do my own tire work and tires are a big expense and any extra mileage that I can get is valuable to me. I'm hoping that as your tires wear that you and ofdave will keep this thread updated. Thanks again...

MJC

Super Moderator
I will keep riding til the Dunlops wear out! Things I (and ofdave) do for this forum....riding our hearts out..lol.

".........tires are a big expense and any extra mileage that I can get is valuable to me. .." I hear ya, I found out about the Dunlop Roadsmart III's because I was trying to get cheaper tires in the 1st place and did not want to spend that much money for the PR 4"s. Now that the rain has stooped I should have 5K miles in a few weeks and will keep you all posted.

HEY OFDAVE, How you doing on the Dunlop Roadsmart III's? any update info yet...

alexir11

I've seen a Dunlop Roadsmart II in 4WheelOnline catalog while looking for a street tire available. I think it has better off-road capabilities.

MJC

Super Moderator
I've seen a Dunlop Roadsmart II in 4WheelOnline catalog while looking for a street tire available. I think it has better off-road capabilities.

I do not know about the II's. But I would say the III's are OK on gravel/dirt roads. I am not talking off road, but gravel/dirt roads that are not paved with blacktop.

Update on the Dunlap roadsmart III's. I was on a trip to the Catskills and rode on a lot of rides with tar snakes. I would say the front tire is not so good riding over them, it does slip. I did notice this in turns there the road was covered with tar snakes that you could not avoid. On roads with long tar snakes if you rode on them you would diffidently notice the slip of the front tire. On the rear, well not too bad but I did have it slip 2 or 3 times on long turns. It is something to keep in mind when buying tires, so I would say, check off, riding over tar snakes.

Tire wear is still not seen on front or rear tires, wet handling is good, dry good, just not good over tar snakes.

Will update soon.........

MJC

Super Moderator

I agree, you can find the same info from Dunlap using there ROADSMART III's, saying they are better then the rest. In this test Michellin used the Roadsmart 2's.

When it is time for tires I try to get the latest info on each tire, most times whatever tire I end up using it is replaced by the better newer model when I need tires again. And whatever I had found not up to par on that tire, the tire company claims that the new and improved model now does better.....