Hello from Pennsylvania. I have a question.

Bobt250

I joined here to ask a specific question. I was thinking about buying a CTX DCT that's for sale locally with the idea of adding the Motortrike Hornet kit to it for my wife. I was wondering if anyone here has tried one. It could be awesome or a real turd and anything in between.

Appreciate any input, thanks in advance.

Steven

Can't really say, but my neighbor has had two trikes and loves them. However, one thing that it different is he needs to turn the handle bars more to turn because there is no lean.

Bobt250

Can't really say, but my neighbor has had two trikes and loves them. However, one thing that it different is he needs to turn the handle bars more to turn because there is no lean.

My main concern was steering effort. I was considering a Can-Am Spyder which has power steering. I'm not wild about the way the Spyder needs to be shifted and of course they are expensive. I'm also concerned about reliability and we all know pretty much anything from Honda will be reliable.

I also don't know anything about the build quality of the Motortrike kits. What kind of trikes did your neighbor have?

Steven

He had a kit for his Goldwing and then he bought two different model Harley trikes. The kit he had for his GW wasn't top of the line and he told me that the Harley trikes handled better. I would imagine that it would be different with the better trike kits for the GW. As for steering effort, I don't know since I've never ridden a 3 wheeler. Sorry...

ofdave

the Motortrike is a reverse trike, and they (reverse trikes)are not very common. I am a big fan of reverse trikes.
I have looked a lot at the Hornet and can't see much (if any) difference between it and the kit they offer for the Goldwing. (I'm not talking about bike attachment, but the parts themselves).
It is heavy and that weight will be felt on the CTX which has way less power than a Wing.
I don't like the wheels being the same as the Wing kit and there may be some weight saving to be had there.
Another thing I noticed is that the front of the Hornet kit seems to possibly restrict airflow to the radiator. It's not an issue on the Wing because that's a side breather.
I've seen reviews and test of the Wing kit but not the Hornet.
You need to ask questions and get names of Hornet owners you can talk to and get real world, first hand information.
We here (or any other CTX forum) can only give opinions rather than share first hand experience.
or look here http://www.triketalk.com/content/

ofdave

the Motortrike is a reverse trike, and they (reverse trikes)are not very common. I am a big fan of reverse trikes.
I have looked a lot at the Hornet and can't see much (if any) difference between it and the kit they offer for the Goldwing. (I'm not talking about bike attachment, but the parts themselves).
It is heavy and that weight will be felt on the CTX which has way less power than a Wing.
I don't like the wheels being the same as the Wing kit and there may be some weight saving to be had there.
Another thing I noticed is that the front of the Hornet kit seems to possibly restrict airflow to the radiator. It's not an issue on the Wing because that's a side breather.
I've seen reviews and test of the Wing kit but not the Hornet.
You need to ask questions and get names of Hornet owners you can talk to and get real world, first hand information.
We here (or any other CTX forum) can only give opinions rather than share first hand experience.
or look here http://www.triketalk.com/content/

Steven

I would consider that good/best advice.

randy1149

Listen to ofdave's recommendations. IMHO there's a reason why some trikes have power steering. The front tire becomes a gyro scope when rolling and it's what makes a motorcycle stable at speed because of it. But on a trike the gyro becomes an opponent in turns due to the gyro affect. The Hornet kit for the CTX has 2 front gyro wheels spinning so I would have to drive one of these before I put down $8 grand for it.

And then the not so good handling characteristic of trikes. The Can-Am Spyder approaches the handling with the power steering and electronic tracking control to keep the wheels on the ground when in turns... to a degree.

MJC

Super Moderator
I joined here to ask a specific question. I was thinking about buying a CTX DCT that's for sale locally with the idea of adding the Motortrike Hornet kit to it for my wife. I was wondering if anyone here has tried one. It could be awesome or a real turd and anything in between.

I have not ridden a CTX700 with the Hornet kit installed on it but have ridden the Can-Am Spyder.
The Spyder was 998 cc's with semi-automatic with reverse, and had 100 HP. My feelings would be that a CTX700 with the kit installed would not have the power of the Spyder or reverse.

My review of the Spyder was that the 2 wheels being in front was a better handling bike than having the 2 wheels in the back. That the Spyder with 100HP felt under powered in the passing lines at 50 MPH, and the semi-automatic trans worked well and the reverse was a must have, due to the fact that you could not move the bike backwards without it. At the time this bike was $16500. It had, a Stability Control System, Traction Control, Anti-lock Braking, and Power Steering.

Now I would have to think based on my ridding the Spyder, that a CTX700 with the Kit, would be harder to steer, real hard to back up with no reverse, that the 700 cc engine would be under powdered, that the ABS would not work on the front wheels, and that the rear tire (stock) would need to be replaced at 4 or 5K miles, due to the weight and extra work the kit would put on it.

With all that said, price to buy a CTX700 ($7K) add the kit ($8K) plus paint, install, etc ($3K), I would think you would be around $18K or so.

For $18K, I would get the Can-Am Spyder, new with a Factory 2-year warranty and add the extended 3 year, for a total of 5 years. And get something that would be factory made and covered by one maker.

BTW if you do go for the Motortrike Kit, you should know that they have been having problems with the ball joint rubber cover, they seem to crack and the grease inside goes outside of the rubber boot. Also that there is no car tire made for the rear of the CTX700 that would fit.

Just my 2 cents.

burdicda

I used to be a buyer for the Govt and when I had questions such as yours...I would always approach the factory selling this item and ask them for "A happy customer list".....???

If they cannot provide you with others who have purchased and are happy riding them...don't buy...

dyenfd

Consider a sidecar instead - much cheaper and loads more fun. I've had mine as a daily driver for 3 years now.

Fred

Attachments

• Sidecar.jpg
    Sidecar.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 106

ofdave

nice rig. dyenfd.
and welcome-since this is your first post
tell us more about your rig-- sidecar brand, how is it mounted (did you build a subframe?), does the chair have brakes?
will it cruise at 65 or so comfortably? I had a Ural for 5000 miles and it was slow, emphasis on slow and oil changes every 2500 km (not miles). Loved it and if it were as dependable as the CTX, I'd still have it.
Also need more pics and put your location in by your name.

dyenfd

The sidecar was made and attached without a subframe by Johnny Sweet a PE with close to 50 years experience designing no building sidecars. Mine is an SL-220 and cost $2,880 attached. Runs true and is a joy to drive. Has no need for a subframe or sidecar brakes. Cruises on the slab at 70 and averages just under 60mpg.
(https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2cwzixANM)

I mounted an Achilles car tire on the rear 175/55R17 for a whopping $41 and I've gone double dark with a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45 rear motorcycle tire mounted backwards on the front.

I anticipate 20,000 miles or more from each tire (based on current wear). I mounted Custom Dynamic billet LED driving light/amber turn signal for the front and an billet LED read/amber on the rear.

I'm based in Harrisonburg, VA [email protected]

Fred

ofdave

@mjc
now those are cool
too bad they only have them for big heavy bikes-I'd love to see a tilt conversion for a CTX or V strom1000, or FJR, or T100.

jibuna

I will try dyenfd's tire size (175/55R17 and he had posts from other forum groups) and will post update later ;-)