Dream spot to tour?

purplesea

Where would your dream tour be? I feel like mine would be through the streets and hills of Italy. Or a nice wide, open road!

willstat

I'd love to tour San Francisco or anywhere in Northern California. I've only seen the pictures of the area. I plan on going there within the next 5 years but I am not sure how I could get my bike there. I guess I'd have to truck it there or possibly rent a bike in the area. I know it is hilly but the pictures make it look so beautiful and scenic. Aside form San Francisco I would like to tour the French countryside on bike. That might be the ultimate dream spot tour.

hbmm

italy, around all the hills and crazy roads and beautiful views, ahhhh:) on the bridge over to venice would be amazing

Trellum

Norway. I'd love going there again... I'd surely have the tour of my life. I just love the scenery over there! They have the must beautiful roads surrounded by forest with crystal clear lakes... that's something every rider should experience once in a lifetime. I often think how glorious this would be... breathing all that fresh air...!

jonnypop

The rocky mountains would be cool. California would be pretty cool but parts of Asia such as China would probably be top of my list.

bala

A long and wide road,no odds of a bike coming on the stretch and me whizzing past trees.i know i am hallucinating about these kind of stuffs,but right from the time i started biking i have yearned to go for a long drive.In India you can never realize your dreams as a biker,the roads are flooded with vehicles and thus i have never looked farther than this.based on my description if anybody can suggest me a destination in lieu with my choice i would gladly consider it.

firelily99

Australia would be awesome as would New Zealand. In the US there are no shortage of places to go so I would probably do a cross country trip.

Scottie

Anywhere that has nice smooth roads and the place must have some very special places for my viewing pleasure. Some very scenic places :) Maybe New Zealand!

Steven

I'm going out west (USA), everywhere out west... Okay, I know that's a bit ambitious, but I really enjoy the scenery and the lack of traffic. I've been through the Rocky Mountains a few times and other places and I need to get out there again. I'ts been too long. I'm thinking about Utah too, very interesting scenery.

Merlin III

You can't go wrong traveling out west. I would especially like to do the Pacific Northwest. That is the only place I have never visited in the USA. Motorcycle traveling can be pretty expensive when going long distances especially when you succumb to the temptation of staying in motels.

Steven

The Pacific Northwest is also a place I want to go. Every trip I've taken, I rarely stayed at motels, mostly camp grounds and on several occasions, wherever I could lay a sleeping bag down. Normally I usually ride the first 1000 miles non stop across the midwest, nothing to really see there and then my trip begins. Now that I'm older, I just don't know if I can do that. I think that once the bike is "upgraded" for touring it should be okay.

Merlin III

Well, a couple of things about traveling that comes to mind. Firstly, I get tired after 400 miles of riding, especially when by myself. By late afternoon, when the day is ending, I usually make a decision to ride longer and stay in a motel, or to stop early and find a campground which may not be easy to do. If I stop early at a campground, it means I am not going to get in the mileage I wanted. If I continue on, I will ride to a point where I need to find a motel and it may not end up being a 49 dollar hotel. I have given up riding after dark unless it is an emergency.

rickster

For me it would be springtime in the Italian Dolomiti...before the touristic season begins in June. I have bicycled throughout these majestic mountains countless times and loved every pedal stroke. But, now I get around on a moto and the green valleys and pale mountains still beckon. I also like Normandy and Provence. And then there's the tour of the National Parks in Utah... So much to do and see.

A couple of comments on the previous comments:
Willstat: San Francisco is one of my two favorite large cities (Paris being the other). If you're really an experienced urban rider, S.F. is for you. But many of the streets have cable car, street car and other types of infrastructure all over them. I'd suggest riding into the city, getting a MUNI pass and having the time of your life!!! I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills of Northern California and can tell you that the California coast (Hwy 1) and it's small transit roads along with the areas around Monterey, Carmel, Highway 101, and the redwood forests farther north are worth the trip out here. Then there's Lake Tahoe, and all of the riding in the Sierra...it's all WOW! kind of stuff.

HBMM: Italy is one source of amazement after another. I'm a dual U.S./Italian citizen with a second home only 2 hours from Venezia (Venice). The causeway bridge between Mestre and Venice ends in a parking lot. You can't take a vehicle beyond it. The only vehicles in Venezia are boats. I wouldn't advise leaving a nice moto at the parcheggio for long if you want to ride back to Mestre, although the locals leave their scooters all over the place. An option might be to get a hotel room in Mestre, leave your bike in their secure parking area and shuttle over to the island. Tip 1: If you go over to the train station in Mestre and take a train, when you walk out of the front door of the Venezia station, the Grand Canal is in front of you. Tip 2: Don't go back to your hotel early. Around 4 or so in the afternoon, the cruise ship passengers begin to head back to their ships. Night time in Venezia is magic. It is cooler, uncrowded and you can safely walk around the back streets and alleyways that most tourists will never see. In other words, put your map in your back pocket and get lost.

Last edited:

Steven

Utah is one of my planned destinations next year. I figure on going in May before it gets too hot. I'm still a little worried about snow at the higher elevations at that time of year. I also thought about going through northern California up through Oregon and then start making my way back heading towards Glacier National Park. From there I'm not sure.

Merlin, I've been there, done that, it's hard to stop when it's too early. I also think motels are way to expensive just to sleep for 8 hours. On more than one occasion, I've slept alongside the bike where I don't think anyone will bother me. The first time I did that was in Colorado. I pulled off the road and parked behind some trees next to a field. When I woke in the morning a guy in a pickup truck had stopped along the access rode I had gone down and was staring at me (from a distance). He went on and I finished packing up and left. It made me feel kind of odd. When You're tired, you can sleep anywhere.

rickster

Utah is one of my planned destinations next year. I figure on going in May before it gets too hot. I'm still a little worried about snow at the higher elevations at that time of year. I also thought about going through northern California up through Oregon and then start making my way back heading towards Glacier National Park. From there I'm not sure.

I did a tour of Utah's National Parks in mid May of 2012. I encountered no snow on the roads that I drove. It was a photographic trip for me and I wished that I had gone in mid April instead in order to get a little more snow on the distant mountaintops. There is so much to see in our beautiful country. Touring in the west will take you to beautiful places. I'm partial to California because I live here and because unlike Oregon and Washington, rain after the beginning of June is not commonplace.

Steven

Perhaps I should go in early May. That way I could stay cool in Utah and dry on the west coast. :)

It's pretty windy (and a little chilly) here in the mid west that time of year, but I once I get past tornado ally (Nebraska) I would suspect the wind eases up, I don't know.