Don't forget to...

ofdave

It's probably time for many to change the brake fluid-'14 and '15 owners. Not a bad job and two years is the recommended interval.
Coolant-ditto above-take the time to do this right, just like the book says.
While you're in the work-on the-bike mode, take the cover off behind the shifter and clean the crud out of behind it.
Just did mine and it was nasty, but not as bad as the first time.
And since you're on the floor, do some under cleaning while there and check fasteners so you don't have to put the knees through agony twice in one day.
Now slowly stand back up (never mind the knee popping), clean up your mess, put the tools away and don't leave the coolant where your dog or cat can get to it.
Step back from the bike, put your left hand over your right shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back!!
You're good to go for many more miles.

MJC

Super Moderator
now slowly stand back up......
I wish, need help to get down and two people to help pick me up..lol...? It's not funny!

Steven

I only have 16k on my bike and I thought about changing the chain for an x chain. It still seems to be in good shape with only a little stretch , but it's better to stay on top of it. I had chain problems before on a different bike and of course it was while I was out of town.

randy1149

I only have 16k on my bike and I thought about changing the chain for an x chain. It still seems to be in good shape with only a little stretch , but it's better to stay on top of it. I had chain problems before on a different bike and of course it was while I was out of town.

Chain oilers doubles or betters the life of chain... with less maintenance... really.

randy1149

It's probably time for many to change the brake fluid-'14 and '15 owners. Not a bad job and two years is the recommended interval.
Coolant-ditto above-take the time to do this right, just like the book says.
While you're in the work-on the-bike mode, take the cover off behind the shifter and clean the crud out of behind it.
Just did mine and it was nasty, but not as bad as the first time.
And since you're on the floor, do some under cleaning while there and check fasteners so you don't have to put the knees through agony twice in one day.
Now slowly stand back up (never mind the knee popping), clean up your mess, put the tools away and don't leave the coolant where your dog or cat can get to it.
Step back from the bike, put your left hand over your right shoulder and give yourself a pat on the back!!
You're good to go for many more miles.

ofdave... I agree with all your recommendations... I woke up this AM and it's 10º outside. I won't be doing any maintenance for a while.

ofdave

@Randy
zero sympathy from me, bring the bike inside, light a fire and have hot chocolate and DOT4!
my temp gauge showed 72 Sat. am in the garage-that was the coolant temp of the bike!
Outside air was 80

randy1149

ofdave I'm not looking for any sympathy there my friend, I have no desire to live in Gods waiting room.

What's difference between the flu and property in Florida? You can get rid of the flu. ?

Steven

I'm not sure if I should be kind to Floridians or mean. Right now they have it made (at least in the winter) but if global warming is true, then Florida will underwater someday and they will want to move here, but if we have another ice age, us northerners will be wanting to move to Florida. Heheh...

randy1149

Ever been in Florida in July - Sept? It is not fun ridding a motorcycle... it's brutal. And Florida is a top contender of the world in lightning, sink holes and hurricanes.

Last edited:

ofdave

Randy, riding then is a free sauna experience-you can lose 5 lbs. every ride!
I get a charge out of lightning, and sinkholes provide a no cost pool in your back yard.
Not much good to say about hurricanes, they do clean out the dead limbs though.
Rising water will get rid of the over-building along the coasts and give us waterfront property you can see without peeking between buildings.