Heel shifter available for 6 speeds??

BobWitte

For that small handful that have a 6 speed manual shifter and are not on "the other" forum as well as here, be advised that I've developed a heel shifter for our CTX700's.

This is a drill one hole and make a couple of cuts in the lower left side Tupperware (that shrouds the gearshift) DIY installation that most folks can handle (because if I can do it, anyone can do it!!). It comes with the installation hardware and I'd be doing a YouTube installation video as well.

The final price is not yet established because the number to be built will determine the costs. So I need to know the count, in advance of the first (and maybe only) production run.

Give me a shout out reply right here if you'd like to be included and send me a PM if you didn't see the other thread and want pictures, and/or more information. But act now, because the decision to "go" or abandon the project due to lack of interest could be made as soon as tomorrow.

Dorothea

For that small handful that have a 6 speed manual shifter and are not on "the other" forum as well as here, be advised that I've developed a heel shifter for our CTX700's.

This is a drill one hole and make a couple of cuts in the lower left side Tupperware (that shrouds the gearshift) DIY installation that most folks can handle (because if I can do it, anyone can do it!!). It comes with the installation hardware and I'd be doing a YouTube installation video as well.

The final price is not yet established because the number to be built will determine the costs. So I need to know the count, in advance of the first (and maybe only) production run.

Give me a shout out reply right here if you'd like to be included and send me a PM if you didn't see the other thread and want pictures, and/or more information. But act now, because the decision to "go" or abandon the project due to lack of interest could be made as soon as tomorrow.

I'm interested, even though I'm not buying the bike until the spring, I'm interested.

BobWitte

I am interested as well. I already have my bike. Do you have a price range and pictures?
Details and pictures are best handled by a link to the "other" CTX site. There you can get the full story of the what, where, & why. I'm the "who" and the "when" will happen when I finally hear back from my vendor. It's not like him to be silent after several voicemails so I'm wondering if they have already shut down for the Christmas "break" that they have taken in the past. I think I'll take a ride over there to see if the shop is open or not.

In any case, here's the link to discussion thread :

http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/surveys-polls/56018-do-you-want-heel-toe-manual-shift-option-2.html

BobWitte

The 6-speed manual "heel shifter" is going to be available!

Okay, I got over to see my vendor late yesterday and it looks like I can swing this deal if I can get at least 5 orders actually sold. Based upon the extremely small number to be produced, he suggested that I "retail" them @$59 each + shipping which should just cover my expenses & investment when most all are sold. Even mailing with a USPS flat rate, that pushes the final cost to about $66 each.

In thinking about doing this, with my naivete, I had hoped to keep such a small lot to no more than a net of about $50 each. After mulling this over since, I've decided that if I get even just one or two more (i.e., 6 or 7 sales), then I'll do a $59.00 price and will include shipping to US based customers (i.e. to anywhere the US Postal Service will deliver a flat rate padded envelope).

The price for non-USA customers will actually be the same, but it can't include delivery to some dude at the North Pole or the village near Downton Abby. Foreign addresses will have to add whatever it will cost me to get it to you (packaging, international postage, any fees, etc.). Don't forget that I'm still working full time and it will take otherwise billable time to go to the Post Office. I'm self-employed and my boss is a hard@ss when it comes to this pro bono stuff. I remember just how much I lost in my last foray into making things for motorcycles. Anyhow, I'm sure you "world citizens" are use to that kind of stuff when buying from the USA.
:D

So in summary, it will be $59.00 delivered to any USA addresses and $59.00 F.O.B. for anyone outside of the USA. Again, in the latter case add the actual cost to ship to you wherever you might be.

Okay, enough about prices. Well, waddaya get for your 59 bucks?? You get a custom designed heel shifter lever which is a precision water jet cut out from 3/16" thick 6061 T-6 hardened aluminum plate. The edges are all finished and the lever has two precision bends to offset and place the heel peg mounting hole in the right position for either floorboard or OEM foot peg installations. There are 0.25" mounting holes pre-drilled to allow users to install a heel peg of their choosing in the exact position that works best for them.

A mounting bolt, washer & nut are included to mount to the OEM toe lever. There is also a "temporary" heel peg included so you can go riding immediately. I call it temporary since it is just a bolt, washer & nut with a piece of black hose on the shaft. It might last for years, but I did it as a courtesy. The user will then have time to purchase a "real" peg from the hundreds available in the Harley aftermarket. Just for S&G's, I did an eBay search for "harley davidson shift peg" on eBay and was served up 4,000 entries to choose from. Heck, even Amazon had almost 700 from the same search phrase. Pricing was from $3 up to the usual extortion levels that the HD name invokes from some vendors.

Written instructions will be included of course as well a YouTube installation video will be produced and posted. The user will have to drill one mounting hole at the base of the OEM toe shifter lever. The surrounding Tupperware will have to have a couple of "relief" slots cut unless the user chooses to not re-install the Tupperware when the heel lever is in use. Both ways work fine. For most weekend mechanics, it will prove to be a straightforward 20-30 minute project at the most. If you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself, ask around to find a "turner of wrenches" who can do it for you -- they are out there in abundance.

As is most common these days, payment will only be via PayPal. If you are wanting to "sign up" to actually purchase, send me a PM (Private Message) via the forum here and give me your "normal" email address an we'll communicate that way henceforth (so we don't clutter up the forum with details that will bore the huge DCT population out there). I will send you my PayPal account address and we'll use that means for whatever else we need to do.

I had a need and designed a solution. I could have just hand cut one for myself, but knew a way to get a few copies made. I'm doing what I expect to be a onetime run as a service to the CTX 6-Speed population (however small that actually is -- and it is small, I'm sure). So let's rock & roll!

p.s. Here's the link to full thread on the other forum again:
http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/surveys-polls/56018-do-you-want-heel-toe-manual-shift-option-2.html

Woodswoman

Bob, hi.

My rider group had its annual Christmas party yesterday, and my friend Dorothea (who just joined this forum) was there, too. She is definitely interested. She hasn't been over here yet to say so, though (you know how busy the holidays are), so I figured I'd make mention.

BobWitte

Bob, hi.

My rider group had its annual Christmas party yesterday, and my friend Dorothea (who just joined this forum) was there, too. She is definitely interested. She hasn't been over here yet to say so, though (you know how busy the holidays are), so I figured I'd make mention.

No problem! I'm putting in the production order today and I doubt I'll see them before next month. I'm kicking in and ordering an overage so there will be a few left over for stragglers. Dorothea should send me a Private Message with her email address to actually get her place in the line up.

MJC

Super Moderator
Hi Bob, Question, If one has a DCT and installs the factory toe shifter could your heel shifter then be added? seems to me if you put the DCT in manual one can then have some fun using this set up, up/down shift in dct mode instead of using the paddles. What do you think?

BobWitte

Hi Bob, Question, If one has a DCT and installs the factory toe shifter could your heel shifter then be added? seems to me if you put the DCT in manual one can then have some fun using this set up, up/down shift in dct mode instead of using the paddles. What do you think?

I didn't know that there was a "factory" toe shifter for the DCT. I sort of remember that someone rigged one up, but I didn't know that Honda did one. Do you have more info on it?

MJC

Super Moderator
The DCT does not come with a factory foot shifter, but you could take one from a manual ctx. The foot shifter bolts onto the same spot, all Honda did was not install a feet shifter, you just have to cut a hole in the plastic, and if you add your heel shifer to the factory shifter, I would think cut some more plastic to make it work. If I can find a used factory toe shifter, then I will order the heel part from you and see if it all works.

BobWitte

The DCT does not come with a factory foot shifter, but you could take one from a manual ctx. The foot shifter bolts onto the same spot, all Honda did was not install a feet shifter, you just have to cut a hole in the plastic, and if you add your heel shifer to the factory shifter, I would think cut some more plastic to make it work. If I can find a used factory toe shifter, then I will order the heel part from you and see if it all works.

Hmmmm, never thought of that (but then, I don't have a DCT!). There are two complete sets on eBay right now. One is $62 w/shipping and here's one for $35.00 delivered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CTX70...ash=item3f70f6e036:g:eUIAAOSwFdtXyemR&vxp=mtr

BobWitte

After paying myself a small year end bonus, I went over to my vendor today and fronted the cost of the production run of 20 units. My man thinks he can squeeze in the waterjet work early next week so there's a real chance that they'll be ready to ship to American customers before EoY!

I also set up a new PayPal account which I'll send out to all who indicated an interest via forum PM's later today or tomorrow. That way they can be ready next week to get their place in line using the refunds gotten from ugly gifts foisted upon them by their 'you-know-who' type relatives.

JSYK, what doesn't get sold here straight away via the forum will show up on eBay next month and stay there until what remains of the initial production run gets sold off.

The manual shift population appears to be quite small, so at this point, these 20 units are all that I intend to produce.

Merry Christmas!

BobWitte

I've been writing up the why's & whatfor's of installing the heel shifter, but can't publish it without having one in hand for photos. I went over to the vendor yesterday afternoon to review and approve with minor adjustments, the final test piece. Ryan said he'd try for tomorrow, or worst case, Friday. Only then can I finish the paperwork.

I want to finish a fairly good write up (w/lots of pictures!) that I can send to folks who want the shifter before they actually purchase. Although in the end, this is a simple, one bold installation, before you bolt, you have to drill a 1/4" hole in the base of the OEM gearshift arm, and if you want to keep the covering Tupperware in place, cutting a relief path will be required. Not rocket science mind you, but I don't want anyone being surprised.
So stand by for further information.

BobWitte

Thanks for sharing. However, it does appear that this unit is actually for the NC750's not our CTX's. So there still might be some significant mods to be made in order to make it work (and paying some $200 for the honor).

BobWitte

I've been writing up the why's & whatfor's of installing the heel shifter, but can't publish it without having one in hand for photos. I went over to the vendor yesterday afternoon to review and approve with minor adjustments, the final test piece. Ryan said he'd try for tomorrow, or worst case, Friday. Only then can I finish the paperwork.

I want to finish a fairly good write up (w/lots of pictures!) that I can send to folks who want the shifter before they actually purchase. Although in the end, this is a simple, one bold installation, before you bolt, you have to drill a 1/4" hole in the base of the OEM gearshift arm, and if you want to keep the covering Tupperware in place, cutting a relief path will be required. Not rocket science mind you, but I don't want anyone being surprised.

So stand by for further information.

Well, something happened and I never got the call to pick up the shifters. So, it looks like next week sometime. I'll keep you all posted.

ofdave

The Webike product works on the NC700x as well as the NC750S. The latter is similar to our CTXes in that it has forward pegs.
Interesting that it is not simply a bolt on shift pedal/lever but includes some sort of electronic device (solenoid?) that allows DCT shifting like the manual buttons. Something has to operate the clutch, you can't just bang through the gears.
I don't have a DCT but one of the attractions is the button shifting and not having a foot shifter.
On cars with DCT you don't move the shift lever, you just push a button to go up or down through the gears-and that's the beauty of it. Seems going backward to me.

BobWitte

Heel shifter delivery update

I followed up with my vendor this AM since it is unlike them to be this far off a promised delivery. They are a small family operation, and having been there myself, I understand the pitfalls that can beset them. And that is exactly what's up.

The blanks have all been cut out and de-burred. They just need to be bent and powder coated. However, the tech that does those things had a death in the family last week and won't be back until Monday. Ryan assures me that our little project will be bent on Monday and coated Tuesday. So they will finally be available next week.

Last edited:

BobWitte

I followed up with my vendor this AM since it is unlike them to be this far off a promised delivery. They are a small family operation, and having been there myself, I understand the pitfalls that can beset them. And that is exactly what's up.

The blanks have all been cut out and de-burred. They just need to be bent and powder coated. However, the tech that does those things had a death in the family last week and won't be back until Monday. Ryan assures me that our little project will be bent on Monday and coated Tuesday. So they will finally be available next week.

I called after lunch and the word from the vendor was that the parts were being powder coated this afternoon and will be ready tomorrow.