New lid

Shanghai Dan

A schuberth C3 Pro. Yes, it's expensive. But you know what? It's comfortable and is the quietest helmet I've ever had. As many of you know, I'm an audio pro - I design gear (specialty is speakers) for consumer and pro markets. My ears are my life - literally. I wear earplugs religiously when riding (Surefire EP5 Max), and look for the quietest helmets I can find.

My last lid, the HJC RPHA MAX, was the quietest. It served me well for 4 years, but was getting on in years (I ride 5 days a week - it gets USED). So it was time to check new ones. Got a chance to take a test ride with the C3 Pro - and it was quieter than the RPHA by a significant margin. So out goes the card (thank you for my early Christmas present, my wife!) and on goes the helmet! New Sena 10U communicator installed as well (completely hidden and internal - so keeps noise down as well with zero outside obstructions) and my ears and head are happy!

Also flows quite a bit of air with the vents open - much too much for these cold Ventura mornings (hey, it's around 50 degrees at 6 AM - that's cold for here!) but that's a good thing for the inevitable 85 degree hot summer days..:)

Steven

I tried those... It's a very nice helmet, but the largest one was a little small for me. I bought the HJC you have (still too small) mostly because it was cheaper. It's decent but too warm for hot weather. Next time I'll look at the C3 a little closer.

On the side, It's 26 F and about to snow till who knows when so I went for a ride (about 15 miles). I had put hand guards on this year and it was better than last year at that temp, but I think I'll need to go to mittens for longer rides.

ofdave

I got a new one a couple months ago.
A Shoei Neotec, had been looking at much less expensive modulars and could not pull the trigger. HJC pinch the front of my head and none of the others got my attention; although I do like the Kabuto Ibuki, but found they are no longer imported here, so I passed.
Stopped by a local indy shop just to say howdy and snoop-they have some pristine old (70's & 80's) Kawasakis in the showroom. Saw the Neotec on the shelf and tried it on, fits better than anything I ever put on. It was ordered for a customer (they don't stock Shoei) and was too big so they got him another and set this on the shelf. I grabbed it for 540 bucks. I would never and had never considered spending that much but it felt so good, so I did. Love that helmet-big modular fan but I know enough to never ride with the front flipped up-that's not what they're made for and is actually pretty dangerous.
It's quiet (I wear earplugs) and has good venting, what little air you get behind a windshield; insides come out for easy cleaning too.
I know there are good helmets to be had for less but this just fits so well.

Woodswoman

I went to the International Motorcycle Show in New York City on Friday, for the express purpose of finding a good-fitting, high-end modular helmet. Took my time, talked to the experts there, got fitted repeatedly ... and I now own a Shoei NeoTec.

I hope it'll make me as happy as my Shoei Qwest (although that's a tall order). Haven't had a modular helmet in years, and I am feeling ready to try one again.

PA Dave

I'm considering the Shoei Qwest as my next helmet. My big question is if it is a quiet at people say it is? I'm really looking for that. Also, is fogging really at issue? A number of reviews mentioned it, but I don't put full value on reviews. I'd love to hear your pros & cons.

Congratulations on the new hat. :D

ofdave

@padave
I have never had a helmet fog in all my years of riding. Actually do not understand the problem.
I ride with the face shield open a notch most of the time.
Good thing with Shoei, they come with the pin-lock to prevent fogging.
They are quiet but I recommend using ear plugs too.
Noise in a helmet is worst at riding speed because of the wind and there will always be some noise.

PA Dave

@ofdave
I always wear earplugs, just looking for a bit less wind noise than my current HJC. I prefer Howard Leight shooters earplugs at 33NRR for the comfort I get with them.

Woodswoman

I'm considering the Shoei Qwest as my next helmet. My big question is if it is a quiet at people say it is? I'm really looking for that. Also, is fogging really at issue? A number of reviews mentioned it, but I don't put full value on reviews. I'd love to hear your pros & cons.

Congratulations on the new hat. :D

The Qwest is the quietest helmet I have ever owned. (For the record, I still wear ear plugs, too.)

The *only* downside to it is, indeed, the fogging. I leave the breath guard on year-round, and still have to crack the eye shield at times when I'd rather not. Have I tried a Pinlock shield? Admittedly, no. I have mooched along without that for 5 years now, which probably isn't too bright of me.

Nevertheless, when my current Qwest gets just too old and worn, I intend to replace it with another one.

Shanghai Dan

The Qwest is the quietest helmet I have ever owned. (For the record, I still wear ear plugs, too.)

The *only* downside to it is, indeed, the fogging. I leave the breath guard on year-round, and still have to crack the eye shield at times when I'd rather not. Have I tried a Pinlock shield? Admittedly, no. I have mooched along without that for 5 years now, which probably isn't too bright of me.

Nevertheless, when my current Qwest gets just too old and worn, I intend to replace it with another one.

Get a pinlock! Best money you'll ever spend on your helmet. I used one on my HJC, and now on my Schuberth. They NEVER fog. Ever. And I can leave it fully closed as well...