Reseting Everything...Actually done by me...Worked

burdicda

There are several different bits and pieces of descriptions on how to reset your ECU (Main Computer) and your DCT
(Dual Clutch Transmission Computer)...I wished it had all been verified and posted in one handy place when I wanted to do it...so here they are...I did this on the 21st of October and you never know it could all be in our heads..but it "SEEMS" to shift tighter (less sloppy).

ECU-Reset
ResetECU.jpg

DCT-Reset
ResetDCT.jpg

The most important part is in the DCT reset hold the throttle "FULL" remember the bikes NOT running...hehehe

ofdave

Don't have a DCT so no comment on that part. But is is good to know there are ways to do a reset.
The ECU reset is similar to what the Honda tech told me except for the part about shutting off with the kill switch.
My attempt without the kill switch step included did work.
A reminder to all who do this-Disconnect the negative battery terminal-no need to disconnect both terminals.
OK if you do disconnect both, but disconnect negative first and reconnect negative last if you do both.
It's safer that way.

Merlin III

There are several different bits and pieces of descriptions on how to reset your ECU (Main Computer) and your DCT
(Dual Clutch Transmission Computer)...I wished it had all been verified and posted in one handy place when I wanted to do it...so here they are...I did this on the 21st of October and you never know it could all be in our heads..but it "SEEMS" to shift tighter (less sloppy).

ECU-Reset
View attachment 492

DCT-Reset
View attachment 493

The most important part is in the DCT reset hold the throttle "FULL" remember the bikes NOT running...hehehe
Great post! Bert's post and responses covers a situation where one would want to reset the ECU, but it isn't clear to me why one would want to reset the DCT? Are we referring to doing both processes only when there is a computer problem similar to a PC where the CPU is hopelessly confusing itself with contradictions? I have never had any problems yet with either. Thanks.

burdicda

There was no real reason to reset anything except maybe a perceived sloppiness increasing...I thought maybe there might have been some half-reset done at the dealership during initial assembly and it couldn't hurt anything to know at what time zero restart time was by me.

ponydrvr

I don't know about others but, I found that the ECU reset and the DCT reset were both needed to solve the only problem I had with the transmission lockup and the engine refusing to start last fall. The DCT reset was tried first without success, then the ECU reset was tried also without success. I finally did the DCT reset following the ECU reset. Then everything worked!

After a short test ride I observed the shifts were not smooth either up or down shifting. Performed the DCT reset twicw more and then a short check ride. The shifts were smooth as glass in both directions. The affect has been consistent since last October and I just don't pay any attention to the shifts because they are so smooth.

YMMV, but it worked for me.

Woodswoman

Thank you for posting this. It's info I hope never to need, but I'm glad to have it available so conveniently.

Tujungadave

ECU-Reset
View attachment 492

DCT-Reset
View attachment 493

ECU-Reset
View attachment 492

DCT-Reset
View attachment 493

Tried the ECU reset. The bike tries to start itself, but won't start because it's stuck in 2nd gear. I disconnected the battery terminals as it says to do. Reconnected and as soon as I turn the key on the starter motor starts trying to start the bike without me pushing the starter switch. I was riding home from work the other day and had suddenly the bike began to feel very strange. It was running, but when I took off from a stop it took a long time to get up to speed and then, it would only go so fast. It was after a few minutes that I realized it was stuck in 4th. It would not down shift, or upshift. I nursed it home, only a few miles and let it sit until today when I tried your fix. No go. This happened once before a few weeks ago. I pulled off the freeway and had it towed home. Once I turned it off I couldn't get it started again. Took it to my mechanic and he was unable to reproduce the issue. He did a full 64K service on the bike. I drove it to work that morning and it was fine until I got a few miles away from home. I guess I'm going to have to take in to the dealer and see if they can figure it out.

Tujungadave

Ok, so, I gave it another try. I made sure the Kill switch was in the "ON" position. I held the mode switch button down in the "N" position and then turned the ignition key on. That allowed the bike to start in "N". I went through both resets. Now I just have to wait and see if it holds. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to test. My mechanic is closed today. Wish me luck! I'll keep you all posted.