Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    ... For the record, this is entirely my fault.
    Steven with all do respect. Are not the OEM mounting configuration (red circles on your pix) at best marginal for the CB windshield... especially with the two lower well-nuts up to the job with the added PSI by the CB windshield?

They seem to hold well enough, but the issue I have is that it's possible for the shield to slide downwards and out the attachment points if they are not tight enough. When I install a new shield I'm going to add bolts and washers at the upper connection point (just under the Honda mounting hardware) to prevent it from being able to slide downwards. With the foam (that is in the picture) the shield braces itself decently and there doesn't seem to be any flex of the shield at any speed, but without the plastic of the bikes fairing, there was more movement (only slight) but enough to allow the shield to slowly work it's way downwards and out of the mounting holes, at least that's my theory. Like you said, the extra PSI only exacerbated the problem and hastened the resulting situation.

At least I got to see what it was like riding an unfaired bike. Needless to say it was quite a bit noisier and when I would turn my head the wind would want to make the helmet turn more. Sometimes I forget how nice windshields make riding.

Since I wasn't prepared to spend money replacing this stuff I had to make adjustments. I was going to send my forks to Boston to have the Racetech cartridge emulators installed but I found a different alternative that would be easier and cheaper. Ricor makes what they call an "Intiminator" which does a similar job and it only requires changing the fork oil and dropping their device inside the forks. It will be about $300 cheaper and that should about pay for a new shield plus the x-creen.

3. Likes Woodswoman liked this post
    Thanks Steven, your post is exactly what most others have determined. Those lower mounts let the shield slide down an out specially with higher PSI. Your a better man than me taking the fault of poor installation hardware supplied by the windshield. In my eyes your not... there's probably 10 other owners that had the same problem.

The important thing is that people become aware of this problem and I believe that I can prevent it from happening again like I described above. I just finished ordering a new CB shield and a x-creen (I liked that combination), plus the attachment hardware. Shortly it will all be a memory.

I have a theory about life. When bad things happens, it's life telling me that there is something that I need to learn and for that I become a better person. I know that sounds naive, but it's better to think that way rather than let life's minor trials and tribulations ruin such an awesome experience, life itself. You gotta admit, the fact that we exist is pretty darn cool!

I'm going to wax on philosophically a little longer... It's like what brought many of us here to this site. At the moment it seemed important to be upset with the way we were treated on the other site, but now it feels like leaving there was a blessing, like we woke up from a bad dream. I'm really glad that some of the members stop by here, I really enjoy them, but as for the other site... why would we want to subject ourselves to what was an unpleasant atmosphere. So, in a way, what was a bad thing turned out to be a good thing.

I know that not everyone will agree with what I just said (maybe someday) and that some might not understand it the way I meant it, but it's very pleasant being here with you folks. Even ofdave has begun making with the funny stuff again.
    Last edited by Steven; 09-05-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Yes I gotta admit we living here is cool. How that happened is where the controversy begins.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1149 View Post
    Yes I gotta admit we living here is cool. How that happened is where the controversy begins.
    In my mind, it's not controversy, it's curiosity and speculation. To bad some take it too seriously. If we ever find the truth out about our existence, I think it's going to be something we didn't expect and couldn't ever imagine.

Getting back to that shield thing again, there's another reason to wear a helmet, you never know when pieces are going to fall off your bike and hit you in the head!
    Last edited by Steven; 09-05-2016 at 05:42 PM.

Last night I went for a ride, it was hot and the humidity was high. I got no more than a mile out of town and I could't see through my helmet shield, it was covered in bugs (I'm not exaggerating) and I kept getting stung in the neck from all the bug collisions, Then I made the mistake of trying to wipe it off with my glove, it just smeared and made it even worse. I headed back into town and stopped at the gas station to wash the helmet off. This has to be one of the worse summers in Illinois in terms of humidity and bugs.

I want my shield back! I see people riding all the time without shields I just don't know how they do it. I'm so spoiled!

BTW, the other day I ran into an older Goldwing rider and his wife and he was about ready to downsize. He was complaining about the GW being too heavy and hard to handle in stop and go traffic. He showed a "slight" interest in the CTX so maybe we have another convert a few years down the road.

9. Thanks dacva thanked for this post
    I just ordered the Ricor Intiminators for the front forks, (hmmm, are there rear forks?) and the oil. I'll start another thread after I get them installed and tested. I read a review on the nc700-forum about a guy that had installed these. It's a chance, but we'll see.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-m...installed.html

This is from my ride yesterday, beautiful weather too many bugs...

Name:  Bike Fields Small.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  55.7 KBName:  untitled-1-4 Small.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  86.1 KB

Here's a couple more shots, the second one being the artsy version...

Name:  Bike Wagon Small.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  100.7 KBName:  untitled-1-2 Small.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  100.7 KB