Windshields, windshields, windshields!

popeyoni

After a few years of its release, we are finally seeing a few windshield options for the CTX naked models:

Of course, there are also a few universal ones

I would like to discuss the pros and cons of each model with those here who have tried them.
I only have experience with the Madstad and here is my take:

PROS:
  • Does an excellent job of shielding you from the wind at any speed (I've tried it up to 85mph)
  • It is very solid
  • It is fully and easily adjustable
  • It has a small, optional shield that blocks the wind coming from between the handlebar and the tank (and it works very well).
  • It is relatively easy to mount

CONS:
  • The hardware is fuuuuuugly!
  • The extra shield is very weird looking
  • Will not work with risers in most positions (I have risers, but I have them pointing all the way back, not up; and I had to remove the small shield)
  • The instructions for adjusting for the best position are completely wrong. Trial and error is the way to go to prevent buffeting and wind noise.
  • Email support was non-existent. They only replied when I said "never mind, I found the solution to my problem".
  • Most expensive option.
In summary, I would say it is 100% functional, but ugly.

popeyoni

Here is what the Madstad mount looks like (with the Rox Risers and minus the lower deflector)

OMD00013.jpg

Not exactly stylish.

Woodswoman

I use the air deflector, and I've strapped a small zippered bag onto it. Covers some of the ugly, gives me a little storage space for sunglasses, a kickstand 'puck', etc.

You can (sorta) see it at the bottom of this (not very good) photograph.

Last edited:

ofdave

I have an MRA with Xscreen.
It originally was mounted at only 2 points to the handlebar. That did not seem right to me and the bottom of the shield did lift a tad at speed.
I made 2 additional brackets and tied it down.
I really like it. Absolutely Zero buffeting and I can open my face shield with no issues (only an inch or so for extra cooling).
I also have mirror extenders on the bike. I started with them years ago to move the mirrors out to the sides an inch plus. That was a big help on my V strom which are notorious for buffeting. A lot of wind flows between the windshield and mirrors-moving the mirrors out lessens turbulence.
The only problem (and a small one) is that it is narrow and allows a lot of wind to reach my shoulders. Good in the current heat but chilly below 60.
I am experimenting with lowers as was talked about by Steven in another post. This may move the air off my shoulders for cooler riding.
Her's a pic of the windshieldP1010303.jpg

I enjoy the wind but do like to control it some. If I rode in cold weather I'd likely do more.

Woodswoman

The only problem (and a small one) is that it is narrow and allows a lot of wind to reach my shoulders.

I hear you, ofdave. I had the exact same (small) complaint about my MadStad.

One day, I dug around in the box o' leftover motorcycle parts in my garage and unearthed the set of Laminar EARS that I had on a previous motorcycle. For the hell of it, I popped them onto my MadStad.

Whaddya know, they stuck immediately, and have *stayed* stuck, even though I did not change the original 3M adhesive 'dots'!

They definitely reduce the amount of pressure I get on my shoulders. Dorky-looking, but functional.

ofdave

@woodswoman
good idea, I have a windshield the guys at the Honda shop gave me (don't know from what bike) that I have considered cutting and using to get ears like yours. Now I will get back on track with the project.
Nothing wrong with "dorky-looking", that's why I wear comfortable shoes.

popeyoni

Interesting idea those ears.

I don't even need a windshield most of the year here in Florida.
In fact right now, with daily temps in the 90's, I need all the air I can get on me (although it gets to a point where the air is too warm).
However, during our very short and mild winter, temperatures can drop to the low 50's and that's no fun without some sort of shield.
I removed the windshield for now, and will mount it again around December.

Steven

Here's the thing about how a bike looks. The bikes I notice are the ones I used to own and of course, the CTX. The bikes that grab my attention the most are bikes that look well traveled, it doesn't matter what kind they are. You can look at them and see that they've been around the country a few times. They're certainly not the prettiest bikes, but they have stories to tell. I admire them the most. Throw some luggage on the back of a bike and it instantly looks more interesting... better in my mind.

The thing I don't understand is, why do people keep asking me if the CTX is a scooter? LOL

casper

I've never seen those ears Woodswoman. Where did you get them? If you recall. I've got the faired, and the cee bailey has armpit cutout that is the only buffeting I get from both sides at shoulder level. Those might take all that away for a very smooth ride. I'll experiment with some duct tape and stiff cardboard for the fun of it just to see.

Woodswoman

Casper, the EARS are produced by the same outfit that makes the Laminar Lip. I purchased 'em at the same time I was buying a Lip for the windshield of my Vulcan 1500.

Hang on ... ah, here's the link. http://www.laminarlip.com/ears.htm What you see in my photos is the 10-inch model.

Laminar bills these as hand protection. Having tried them for that purpose, I judge that claim to be wishful thinking.

But attached to my relatively narrow MadStad shield, they *definitely* reduce the amount of wind force I feel on my shoulders!

casper

Thanks so much woods, do you mind if I shorten this to a familiar vs formal? You can call me cas if you'd like! I'll experiment and then order them of the experiment even more remotely pans out. On my burg screen I was getting some weird buffeting too. Then I figured some sort of lip at the top might work. I had some automobile rubber rain gutter material left over. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold on cars today since they don't build in rain gutters anymore. Everything pours in your window from the a pillar and you get soaked. Anyway, put that on the top, tried it first right side up, and was discouraged because the buffeting was worse. Then turned it upside down and look and behold it raised the wind a good two inches over the top of the screen.

Steven

I've never seen those ears Woodswoman. Where did you get them? If you recall. I've got the faired, and the cee bailey has armpit cutout that is the only buffeting I get from both sides at shoulder level. Those might take all that away for a very smooth ride. I'll experiment with some duct tape and stiff cardboard for the fun of it just to see.

Cardboard (lol), now your bike is going to look like mine. I took my cardboard wind deflectors off to wash the bike and haven't got around to making them out of plastic. I did take a ride and I really miss them, the wind is much worse without them. I did take a ride to test out a rain suit, it was a cheap one from Farm and Fleet and while it worked, the wind from under the tank keep coming up into the jacket, ballooning it out. I need to rethink the rain suit because when I bought it I didn't think about the front of the jacket not being sealed. The biggest problem I had was not being able to see because the rain was covering my helmet shield. I have some rainx around here somewhere.

casper

Make sure you rainx the back of the shield top steven. I found that out today. The front of the screen was fine. The back had raindrops all over it! I also did my faceshield but found I still had to get my face into the side wind to clear that off. Downside of getting a full windscreen. For rain gear I use a pic boaters pants and a waterproof windbreaker tucked into those over my jacket. Works well. The windbreaker has a hood, so that goes under my helmet and keeps the rain off my back from the helmet runoff.