First Video

Steven

This is my first camera and first video. I know it can be better, but perhaps in time as I learn to use the camera and software. This was on a ride near where I live. I thought you folks might like to see it if you have nothing better to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

BigO1987

What brand of camera is it and what type of mount? Your initial thoughts on it? There are so many out there. Thanks.

Merlin III

This is my first camera and first video. I know it can be better, but perhaps in time as I learn to use the camera and software. This was on a ride near where I live. I thought you folks might like to see it if you have nothing better to do.

Nice video, music, and roads. Good job Steve.

Merlin III

Steven, Kudos for your diving into the world of video. I bought a GoPro 3 years ago and basically gave up on videos within 3 months. LOL Looking forward to future videos of your trip.

Steven

Thanks. I've been considering this quite a lot lately and I've come to realize the limitations of cameras and the artistry of making a video. Each situation determines which camera is best to use. Using something like a GoPro is very cool, but hours of constant video while traveling down the road is not it's best use. In most situations (I think) only five minutes of recording taken at the right time is all that is needed. Can you imagine the size of a finished video if you included the entire footage over an extended trip. It's rather odd that at the start of this I kept thinking I need more batteries and more memory chips, perhaps a way to upload them off the camera's memory, and a way to charge everything while traveling, yada yada, yada...

I also think about what happens when it's all over. I'd like to share it with others and have them enjoy it, but if not, am I just going to throw it in a drawer to be tossed after I'm gone? I've enjoyed other peoples video's quite a lot, some more than others, and those video's allow me to live vicariously through them. This is what I want to do for others. I hope I can accomplish that. I am trying to learn how to do this from watching what I like about other peoples video's. I have so much to learn!

The nice thing about using video editing is that you can take the best moments and present them in such a way as to make it more enjoyable compared to just looking a bunch of snapshots.

A number of years back I bought a nice bridge camera and have taken a few shots worth keeping, but stills worth keeping are hard to come by. It has video capabilities too, but until now I had no use for that feature. Anyway, I'm getting long winded here just to say that it's an interesting thing to do and should be fun.

Some people have the gift of taking great photographs and video's, I don't but I'll have just as much fun doing it. :)

I'm just rambling, sorry!

Last edited:

Steven

Thanks guys! It was a gopro type of camera (a cheaper brand). The mount I used had that double sided tape so I stuck it to the front of the faring, btw it's still there after years. The camera has antishake and also gyro for stabilization. You can't see it much in the video but occasionally the bike did bounce from time to time. The stabilization worked pretty well, I would say. Anyway, I'm glad you guys liked the video.

Woodswoman

What a beautiful day you had to ride!

It did my heart good to see this on a cold, snow-covered morning. Thank you, @Steven.